1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Self service is the best service :D

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Awesome Thread this Rajan, Thank you !!!

I always did self service with Engine Oil, airfilter for my MJD, But always thought that Gear box oil is best left to the FASS/Reputed garages.

But Now your post and idea of using the Long tube, is just "ICING ON CAKE" :D

Cheers
    Sujit
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  2. rohit tunga

rohit tunga Amatore

Bangalore
    Hello Mr Rajan,

Congratulations on taking this bold initiative which befits the tag line "Make the move now my friend" :)

From my experience, this is not something that everyone can accomplish. I once tried to do a simple task of swapping the front tyres and ended up ruining the thread pattern on the hub. Had to cough up 4K to get myself a new front hub. At best I can successfully replace the air filter, and even there, I dropped one of the three screws into the engine bay and literally took all my life to find that damn screw.

I guess you must have a very very steady hand.

So whats next? Replacing the front brake pads?
    1 person likes this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thank you. It is not about steady hands, but more to do with patience :D. Replacement of the brake pads - the Jet has discs in the rear too - is in the books, but not due for a while. After this attempt, I am even more resolved to do most maintenance myself, leaving only critical stuff that require specialized equipment to the experts.

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  4. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Dear Rajan Sir,
    Exellent thread with detailed step by step pics i hope its all the same when it comes to punto also or do we need another thread for punto or Mjd for this DIY..

Regards..Surya
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The process would be the same for any car, not only the Punto. However, there would obviously be differences in where each component is located, as well as capacities of fluids. Apart from that, everything would remain the same.

Rajan
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Great work Rajan.

I may also actually try servicing my other car. :)
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  7. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Great write and good details, infos like this can be very helpfull in general.
    Its not that one has to do services at home, but this gives a good detail about what goes where in car, and in odd situations one can try to take care of his car.

Having said that please be very carefull when you plan to go under the car, ensure proper mounting and keep a second person nearby to ensure safety. And those who are Claustrophobic please avoid going down there unless you have good mounting system. A good place would be taking your car to car wash center, getting it lifted and then perform the need full oil changes and other things changed and finally get a good car wash followed by a good wax session :)
    1 person likes this.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Rajan, i am curious about one thing.

While draining engine oil, was the car perfectly horizontal as you have stated that we need to raise the front end of the car.
    Asking this because if the car is not perfectly horizontal, maybe some oil will remain and not get drained out fully? is that a possibility?

it may not cause much worries but still! just a thought :)!
  9. RedPoint

RedPoint Amatore

Chennai
    Dear Rajan,

I am really not aware of the things what ever you are doing yourself. But, I can say that you are doing something GREAT and good for your vehicle. I am benefitting from this at least by learning such things.
    It is really a informative thread for a new car owners like me who doesnot know what is happening and where. Here, I can watch and read all with my bare eyes rather than just leaving the vehicle at service center in the morning and pick it up in the evening ! That is not something worthy. You have the real passion on your car. Great going !
    1 person likes this.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    In my case, the car was parked on a flat surface, with the engine jutting out on to a ramp. I do not have a picture, but this should help you visualize:

Car.jpg

However, the drain plug of the engine sump being located towards the back of the car, raising the front end of the car, will actually help draining more of the old oil as compared to a flat surface. It is impossible to drain 100% of the old oil, though :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    2 people like this.