1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Self service is the best service :D

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Sep 14, 2013.

1. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    You mean removing the Skid plate is not necessary?
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Sure Paaji, before keeping the step ill make sure ill bug rajan about this :D
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I am sure I have already shared it Gurjinder. In a concise review -

Prerana - Wish they treated my car as well as they treat me.

Vecto - Never visited. They are the erstwhile Prerana, so I am not expecting a paradigm shift.

KHT - Visited during my Palio days. They stole my pack of cigarettes. Also tried to sell me new brake pads and a new steering tie rod. My car was not in need of either. When I tried to buy the Jet from them, they lied about having called my wife. When I went to attend an event in the FIAT caffe, they checked and topped up the engine oil in my Jet, without using any measuring device or a funnel. God knows how one can get an engine oil level measurement, within 30 seconds of ending a 25 km drive.

Aadya - Never used their services. But did visit them for Imran's stiff ride issue. The way the cars there were treated as well as the way the SA addressed Imran's complaint was not confidence inspiring.

No. Not needed. Disadvantage of not having a hoist. I removed the skid plate first. Realized it is not required, only when fitting it back. The skid plate is designed to allow access to the drain plugs of the Engine sump and the Gear box, without having to remove it.

Rajan
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Great work Rajan! I do not think I will ever be skillful and corageous enough to attempt something like this, even with all the details you have given... Cheers...
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks snck. The objective of sharing these details here - So people who want to do something like this have some reference, people who have done it before point out where I did not do it correctly and most importantly, people who take their cars to the ASC, know what the process is and do not get told cock and bull stories.

Having said that, I do not encourage anyone to do this at home, if they are not absolutely clear about what they are doing and have not fully understood the consequences, should something unfortunately go wrong.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  6. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    That's a very inspiring thread, Rajan.

I am out of warranty and have done last two service at a local trusted mechanic. Though, don't have your skills, but will be more aware of things that go in while my car gets serviced next.

How old is your jet and what does the odo read? Wouldn't there be a scenario where you may have to visit FASS. Like for example, I had to visit FASS to change the wheel bearing as I learnt from a friend that after doing same work outside TASS he got ABS error. What do you plan to do in those scenario?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks buddy. I plan on not having to go to the FASC at all. However, if I am faced with an issue that forces me to do so, I shall definitely do that. I do not see any issues arising out of that, excepting that I have to pay for the work from my pocket. However, if it is just an issue of an ABS error, I can fix that myself.

My Jet was manufactured in Sept 2010, received at the dealership in Oct 2010 and was lying there unsold. I bought it in August 2012. The ODO now reads 16350 kms.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  8. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

I'd like to add one point here.

Always run the engine for 5 minutes after the step and note if the pil level has gone down. Oil filter takes up some oil, maybe 200-300ml, when changed you might need that additional amount.

I changed oil with filter, it took 4 liters instead of the usual 3.6L to reach the proper level on my car.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    SunnyBoi - In the case of Jet, according to the manual - Engine oil capacity is 3 lts. 3.3 including the filter.

Rajan
  10. One thing i would suggest is to eaither fill the new oil filter with oil or sock it in oil before installing.
    This will ensure instant flow of oil as and when engine is started.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2013
    3 people like this.