1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Self service is the best service :D

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Sep 14, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    As planned, just completed the second service of my Jet. Lots of lessons learnt. Special thanks to Raj29 for being with me the whole day, not to mention my wife, who pitched in helping fill gear oil.

Tasks done:

Air filter replaced
    Pollen filter replaced
    Oil filter replaced
    Engine now filled with Mobil 1 FS 0W40
    Gear box now filled with Abro treatment + Mobil 1 80W90

Pending tasks:

Fuel filter replacement
    Wash & wax

I will be posting a step by step for each task I did. Here are some teaser pictures:

DSC00103.JPG

DSC00106.JPG

DSC00185.JPG

DSC00227.JPG

Going out now to experience the smoothness of Mobil 1 and to buy myself some well deserved :drinks

Rajan
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    What is being filled in the last pic rajan??

The bigger tool box you have, more details on that please? I have the smaller one next to it in the pic.

Nice work there Rajan. Kool. :clap
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Question:
    Answer:
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    6 people like this.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Great work Rajan and Mrs. Rajan :)

Do tell us how does the new Mobil 1 feel along with new gear oil. Should be nice and smooth.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @Gurjinder - Mobil 1 + new gear oil and Abro additive - the car feels new again. Super smooth, super silent and butter smooth shifts :D

Disclaimers

1. If you try this and render your car inoperable / burnt to ashes / worthless piece of junk - you are responsible, I am not
    2. If your car is in warranty and you do not want to lose it, stop reading and go back to Activity Stream
    3. This post is based on a 2010 Linea T-Jet. If your car is a different variant, process may slightly vary

Part 1 - Air Filter Change

Difficulty level - Easy
    Tools required - One Philips head screwdriver and new replacement air filter
    Time needed - about 10 minutes

Steps-

Open the bonnet and attach the lever that holds the bonnet up securely. Locate your air filter box - Circled in red.

DSC00105.JPG

This is held down by 4 Philips head screws. Unscrew them. The screws still stay attached to the top part of the box, after fully unscrewing.

DSC00112.JPG

Now lift the top part. The side along the fender is held down by 3 clips. Dislodge them and the top portion should come right off. Remove the old air filter

DSC00117.JPG

Now place the new filter in place of the old. The filter is not a perfect square. So make sure that the rubber beading on the outer edges of the new filter, align perfectly with the edges of the lower portion of the box. Dusting the box before doing this is a good thing.

DSC00123.JPG

Replace the lid, making sure that three clips are locked correctly and tighten the 4 screws back. That is it. Your engine will start breathing much easier now.

Please dispose off the used filter responsibly.

DSC00118.JPG

Thanks for reading. As with any DIY, take your time and use the right tools. This will minimize the chances of injury.

Rajan
    13 people like this.
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Nice work, Rajan. The feeling of taking care of our cars by ourselves cannot be matched by anything else.

I badly missed this, due to my personal commitments. Will make sure am there for the next service atleast. :)

Have you done anything for the brakes? The service centres usually clean up the pads and some even do some mild sanding. Sorry if you had covered this while you cleaned your wheel wells, my bad memory then.
  7. My car's clutch is had issues,gear shifts were hard,just ried Abro with mobil gear oil.
    Now shifts are damn smooth.
    Please read the disclaimer of rajan after teading my post.
  8. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

Doing everything ourselves is always the best option!

Can you ive links for Mobil1 gear oil and abro treatment? I'll get that for my car too!
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I bought both from JK Automobiles, JC Road. Mobil 1 Gear oil is also available at 99RPM. It is not fully synthetic.

Rajan
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Now million dollar question :D
    How did you deleted the service coupon message(the spanner symbol )

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk 4