1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Screeching Sound from Engine when started in the morning

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by anindyodutta, May 25, 2016.

1. Experts,

I have been experiencing an issue with my FIAT Punto (2011), where there is a screeching sound (pulsating) from the engine when I start the engine in the mornings. After running it for some time it reduces and goes down, however I can sometimes hear the sound slightly even while the car has been running for some time.
    My car is at the Butta auto Service Center (Hyderabad), and the service advisor is telling me that this could be a problem with the alternator, and the following needs to be done:
    1. Timing Kit needs to be changes - Costs Rs 10,000 (I changed it once in 2014)
    2. Alternator needs to be replaced fully - Costs Rs 25,000 (not sure why the whole thing needs replacement)
    3. The Engine Head needs to be examined and fixes may be needed in the Valves, Tappets and Rockers - This may cost me Rs. 40,000
    4. Also he says the gear box is leaking oil and will have to be checked

I had an accident in October last year, after which there was a lot of work done on the Engine by the same service center. The engine casing was fully replaced, and a large number of parts were replaced. I paid close to Rs. 1.3 Lakhs from my pocket and the rest was from Insurance.
    I am real worried now considering there is so much additional work, and I have not given my car for services outside of Butta Automotive.
    I cannot even trust what the service center is telling me now, because it was the same service center that has been servicing the car for so long.

Can anyone validate and tell me if these jobs are needed, or am I being taken for a ride here.
    And all of this has come up now, they have already finished services on my car yesterday worth Rs.8000 (just consumables). I feel cheated right now.

Thanks,
    Anindyo
  2. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    You should take a second opinion, outside FASS. Please go to some reputed garages in your area.
  3. Giridhar

Giridhar Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Well @anindyodutta thats a lot of expense which has been quoted. While I am not so technically sound, I can advise you to have a second opinion with Bosh car service center in Hydrabad. I heard that Bosh are equally equipped with required technicians and also have the needed equipment. I see them really genuine also. Thats all I can share from my side.
  4. Thanks limraj and Giridhar.

@Giridhar Can you share a contact of the car service please, I will check with them. Thanks for your response.
  5. Giridhar

Giridhar Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @anindyodutta . You could google it. I saw only one review about Rapid Bosch service center at Miyapur X Roads in team bhp. Review looks genuine. You can try that. If you were in Chennai, I could have recommended more than one. That's all I can share for now. Hope to help you better.
  6. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    This service center smells very fishy! Probably the problem your car has is belt squealing. First suspect in these situations should be the auxiliary belts. Check and make sure they are fine. If you have not changed them yet it is time to change them (max life of belts is 5 years). If you have changed timing kit in 2014 it may be too early to change it again now unless you have driven stipulated kms after last replacement. Don't trust this service center. Get another opinion about all these things from another mechanic/service center.
  7. Ravi - Thanks, can you tell me where I can see the auxillary belt? And what does it couple to the engine.
    I do about 100 kms a day, so since I changed the timing kit last, I may have covered about 45K Kms.
    Do you think the timing kit should wear out in 45K kms?

I will most move to a service center outside, because there is no other FIAT service center in HYD other than Butta Auto.

Thanks for your responses.

Anindyo
  8. I just spoke to the advisor and he say that they are seeing play in the Rockers, valves and tappets so he is saying the head will have to be redone costing Rs.24000. He is also saying the timing kit needs to be replaced another Rs.8000 and also the alternator needs replacement another Rs.14000.
    I think this will be the last time I will visit Butta Auto.

Thanks,
    Anindyo
  9. Giridhar

Giridhar Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Keep us posted when you get second opinion. Try out Bosch now. Is it far from your home?
  10. I will get in touch with them, but I am thinking let me go through with this for now, and I will then go to Bosch.
    I don't want such a major job getting done anywhere else. If Bosch also says the same on the work, I would prefer it gets done in a authorized service center.
    But this is as far I will go with Butta Auto, they don't deserve to make any more money out of me.