1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Screeching Noise in Cold morning cranks!!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by abhinav7373, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Hi. I own a GP 1.2 FIRE. For last couple of weeks I have noticed a strange and loud screeching noise from somewhere under the bonnet when I start the car in the mornings. It vanishes as soon as car starts. For eg. the moment I turn the key from MAR and when i release the key, for about a second or even less than a second loud screeching sound comes. I am clueless about why is it so! In delhi the mornings are quite cold these days and it happens only when the car is still for the whole night. If I crank while leaving from office to home (at around 5 in the evening) the sound never comes. 3 months back I changed the battery as well. Is there anyone who has faced such issue in their car?? What could be the reason and the solution for this problem.
  2. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Probably belt noise, please get it checked at FASS
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  3. shams

shams Esperto

could be engine mounts. dont think belts make any noise. one main difference between belt and chain is that chain makes noise towards end of its life before it gives way
  4. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

As you mentioned the sound starts between off and MAR, it could be some pump or Steering mechanism activating, FASS should be able to diagnose it, but you might have to park the car over tie at workshop to replicate the sound.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Pop the bonnet open and get someone to crank the car tomorrow morning and you should be able to localize the area from where the noise is coming. I also doubt the belts or some other moving component, which is not getting enough lubrication while cold cranking.

6. Update: Today morning before going to office I shot this video. In this video you can clearly listen to that Screeching noise and notice for how short duration it lasts. Experts please comment what could be this problem. AFAIK its related to starter motor, it could either be Bendix or the Bushes of the motor itself. Follow the link to listen to the noise:

The sound is damn irritating :(
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  7. UPDATE:

I showed this video which I shot to my "Family Mechanic" :D . He told me its not a serious problem and Starter needs servicing. He took out the starter and dismantled the whole motor and cleaned with petrol and applied grease on the gears which were inside the motor body and cleaned the Bendix thoroughly as well. And the problem was solved. Now Cranking is smoother than before. It was 2.5 hours job .. :) cheers!!
    1 person likes this.
  8. Manas Adytam

Manas Adytam Timido

Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Abhinav,

I have a similar problem like yours. I would appreciate if you can provide me your family mechanic number. it may be tough for them mechanic without reproducing it and for that i need to leave my car overnight.