1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

SCRATCH AND MINOR DENT

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by renjithlal, Jul 12, 2015.

1. renjithlal

renjithlal Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.2
    My punto Evo is just 7 months and yesterday my car scratched against concrete pillar in our apartment parking lot. it was night, not much of light at that particular curve. Turning there everyday between two pillars curve at 90 degree, think I was a bit casual, normally I would stop there, shift the gear down to 1st as it is bit steep up from there, but yesterday never done all those exercise, was in 2nd gear slowed a bit and then turned and had a hit on the left back wheel arch with a dent there and plenty of scratches there and on left back door. Car is hip-hop black. it was really ugly when I had a first look. Pictures attached. How can I fix this. Im in Hubli, Karnataka. To Manickbag Fiat they will suggest whole door painting., which will cost a good sum. Can I claim insurance. At least scratches can I fix it for myself from com.paint. Or any good body shops available in Hubli. How much it could be. what about giving it to Bosch Hubli. All suggestions /guidances are welcomed. Really feel sad and disheartened.

Punto_evo_scratches (2).JPG

Punto_evo_scratches.JPG

Punto_evo_scratches1.JPG

Punto_evo_scratches2.JPG

Punto_evo_scratches3.JPG

Punto_evo_scratches4.JPG

Punto_evo_scratches5.JPG
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I can understand how painful it can be when it happns for the first time (more painful if it is your first car - my experience). WARNING - compaint is only a temporary solution. I used compaint in few places on my Punto 4 years back. Color matching is not 100%. Paint cans don't spray properly (first can I bought did spray reasonably well. Second one I bought turned out be too bad as it sprayed too big droplets no matter whatever I tried.) ComPaint fades to sun light. Car looks patchy now as compainted areas have faded now. I have to get proper paint job done.

If you go to FASS they paint the door as well as the wheel arch panel. You may try non FASS paint shop if you are very sure about the quality of work they do. Usually these paint shops operate in a dingy shed without a paint booth. In that case quality of painting will not be good because they end up mixing ambient dust with paint when they spray. IMHO it is not a good thing to do. Better you go to FASS.
  3. renjithlal

renjithlal Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.2
    Ravi sir, this is my first car......
  4. aramico

aramico Amatore

KA 51 / KA 31
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    FASS would be the best option I guess. You will get much better finish than most of the non-FASS place. You can claim the insurance. Please check with insurance guys. Would suggest to take a quote from FASS & weigh against the NCB, then decide.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @renjithlal

If the paint isnt scratched too deep and the inner metal exposed, then you can try a good rubbing compound first before rushing to the FASS. Try Formula 1 or Meguiars compound and see if the scratches can be removed, follow it up by a good wax and I guess the shine will be restored.
    mangeshtendulkar likes this.
  6. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Sad to see @renjithlal. As @ghodlur said along with Formula 1 check 3M scratch remover too. They should do some justice substantially for these kind of scratches. If it doesn't workout then you have to better visit FASS.
  7. rahulvfx

rahulvfx Amatore

Bangalore
    Get any Rubbing Compound from a local Garage and use it to remove light scratches. Then use a good wax to coat the paint ...
  8. aramico

aramico Amatore

KA 51 / KA 31
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Yes, use some rubbing compound if the scratches are not too deep. Then use some Polish and top it up with wax of your choice
  9. Anoop M Scaria

Anoop M Scaria Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @renjithlal Hi Renjith have done a Com paint DIY on my red punto evo last week and the results were okay for me. Descent & economical I would say. But don't know how it will turn up in long run. For now it is looking good. Difference is negligible. So if you are ready to take risk and and confident go ahead with com paint DIY or else you have sufficient budget go to FASS as you do not have to worry about the result. Below is my DIY experience

http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/diy-with-exotica-red-on-my-punto-evo.14600/
  10. Noorul

Noorul Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    For the shown scratches, please use a rubbing compound (Motomax, 3M, etc) and then polish the rubbed areas with wax (Motomax, 3M, etc) . Based on the result, you either can approach FASS or Any local garage for further advise. But my opinion is to have the work done by a professional (to remove dents and repaint).
    kishorekrs and Nanda Kumar H like this.