1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

SCOOP!! - The JEEP's have cometh !!

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 10, 2013.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    I still wonder how they are going to target the wider population in convincing that the Jeep is not Mahindra jeep, because on the front, both bear the same logo.
    I hope people may not barge into Mahindra showrooms and ask for those classy awesome jeeps which are running on roads. Somewhere, FCA has to start branding particularly the Chrysler name in synonym to Jeep.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @zenwalker : Bro, I feel these Jeeps are positioned to a niche segment where people actually want a real SUV. These people would surely not get confused between the original Jeep and the Mahindra Jeep.

Jeep is a well renowned name across the world for its off roading capabilities. I was just checking the best ranked off roaders and stumbled upon the following:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...Off-Road-SUVs/

You would see that the top 10 off roaders list is dominated by the Land Rovers and Jeeps.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I am sure the supari automotive journos, such as the owner and mods of certain automotive websites/fora, will shift their angle of denigration/discounting to (a) too pricey, rather get a mahindra or best yet the Perfect Suv maker, a hyundai, etc etc.

PR and marketing's dirty all the way down, and 'journalism' is the same, so. Hidden AND in full open-glare, does not matter: it usually works for the 'fixers'. And this is just a minor matter of a mere brand in the mere automotive car baazar.

BUT: the new crew at FCA are clearly entirely aware of these dynamics of 'opinion-making'. They'll do their best, which am hoping/sure will be good enough, no better (a modicum of un/less-discounted sales with decent margins for dealers, in a sustained consistent manner.)

In any case: THAT is just the risk of doing-dhandaa in the Indian car baazar, with its dabangs and daadaas. Proven by how everyone barring the 3 daadaa-s has, is and will lost/lose money hand-over-fist here.

Hence: the export-centric investment approach (learnt from the awful and money-losing domestic career of Renault-Nissan, Ford and VW, for whom exports are the only crutch financially.)

RISK-mitigation in the desi marketplace!

THIS is why they've not introduced any all-new Fiat in India: they could not have been exported much at all, and FIAT's all-new models would've just been 'sitting ducks', given the supari-killing style of the brand/media/internet, let alone all the legacy perception-issues of 'resale aur aftersales bekaar hai' etc.
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    hmm...even in that segment, and the ones who are entering into that segment, they gotta have to start trusting the brand Chrysler. A well techno aware, US returnee or an auto enthusiast shall know the name Chrysler. Think about those who have earned money in other ways but they are just not into the global news, they shall still keep thinking Merc, Land rover or Toyota are the best. So there is some work which needs to be done by PR team of FCA.

Just how Tata aquired JLR and launched those expensive cars, they same thinking or logic could be applied by many over Mahindra aquiring some Jeep company to launch a classy ones. Indians are jugaad thinkers, you never know :D
    Turbothinghy and prabhjot like this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-blogs/jeep-a-different-kind-of-obstacle-course-402883.aspx

A fine article, by a young guy who ought to be doing more stuff like this, rather than inane/trivial print and video mere, generic, cliche-ridden 'reviews'.

PS: Autocar should do much more such somewhat-sophisticated but easily- and flavorfully written blogs and articles, esp for their website. Else the corrupt internet autoportals, 'free kaa maal' as they oxymoronically are (who REALLY pays for the maal, since no maal is 'free'?), will kill them off in the near future, as is happening with most of the venrable print-centric, more-er-'sophisticated' old rags in the west (automotive or otherwise.)
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @zenwalker

Yes, except that Jaguar and even Land/Range Rover sales are still pretty miniscule, and their dealers altogether disreputable, not to mention the reliability of the cars, which are notoriously poor.

Meanwhile Tata, in alliance with JEEP/fca, is targetting the real opportunity in India, which is assuredly not in piffling 'luxury car sales numbers' that are flat since 2012 and not going anywhere for many a year, in india: full-blown, tough, 'butch' etc pukka suv-s (with bling-shling of course): the Tata q501 and Q502 Safari-replacements, to be built right alongside the localized JEEP c-suv and b-suv come 2018, sharing localized future-ready (new emissions regs in 2020+, new fuel standards and crash safety regs, etc) localized but world-class powertrains (and more?)

That is why me likes very much the brand launch pricing strategy of JEEP/Kevin Flynn: these sales mean nothing other than image building. So, instead: give the dealers the huge margins in the process, and spend well and a lot on the new dealerships and current Fiat dealer upgrades+advertizing, including esp what Jeep is famous for all over the world: 'real', 'experential' marketing off-road etc events.
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    By now i wish the FCA had released and started airing AD's on all the channels in initial runs especially News as lately a large number of indians are watching news for obvious entertainment one get.

On a flip side, if Kevin and FCA somehow convinces Modi to take a ride even for 15 mins in one of Chryslers jeep in some event is enough to get a huge momentum towards the name Chrysler. This chance could do wonders.
  8. Krunal Bhatt

Krunal Bhatt Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Ahmedabad
    Punto Evo 1.3
    I think JEEP India has received the most controversial welcome in Automotive history, not only in India but in entire world.
    Those who knows "JEEP" as a brand, are actually excited about the launch and they do not care much about the price.
    And those, who expected JEEP as competitor/replacement of Mahindra "jeeps" and Toyota Innova(price wise), are very critical about the pricing.
    Only time will tell the success/failure of the brand. But one thing is for sure, they need to bring localized JEEP as soon as possible. We don't have many Billionaires in India who are fan of JEEP. They like German trio more.
    Turbothinghy and Raj_pol like this.
  9. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Krunal Bhatt : Actually in India it seems not many people do true-offroading which is the reason the Range Rovers/Toyota Land Cruiser dont sell much. Here the idea of a SUV is mainly for the snob value and bragging rights, rather than its actual purpose. That is the reason the German trio's pseudo SUVs sell in good numbers. And then we have Creta, that is positioned as 'The Perfect SUV' and its doing great numbers as well.

So, like the Range Rovers, even these Jeeps are targetting only to a niche segment and I am sure they arent expecting crazy sales. For a common man like you and me, the localised Jeep would make sense and we should wait for that :D
  10. Krunal Bhatt

Krunal Bhatt Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Ahmedabad
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Turbothinghy
    Picture perfect post.
    All those who are bashing high price of JEEP on different sites and media, need to read your post.
    Even JEEP knows that they can't sell hundreds of units per month with current offerings BUT they certainly know that these models are good enough for increasing presence/get noticed in India. And when they have enough showrooms and service centers, they can start bringing in new products.
    And as you said, I am waiting and saving for some "affordable" offering from JEEP. :headphone:
    Turbothinghy likes this.