1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

SCOOP!! - The JEEP's have cometh !!

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 10, 2013.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @rusticnomad

I believe it is pretty certain the Renegade will not be offered in india for the first first few Jeep India years: too sophisticated and too small to be understood as 'paisa vasool' in India, which is always the main thing for indian car consumers (i.e., NOT custom-ers), no? It is launching, locally-made, in china in a month or two.

FCA/Jeep sold 9000+ locally-made Jeep Cherokees in March alone! No luck there for you sir: no chance of the Cherokee ever coming here?!

The c-suv will have the localised 2litre mjd+9-speed transmission. Said to be 19 lakhs and above. Hope they also offer the 1.6 mjd2 and t-jet 145+hp (imported) on it+ddct as an entry-version, cheaper? That would depend on whether europe gets such an inexpensive variant?

The Suzuki Jimny 4x4 is a direct old ultra-cut-price copycat of the old Jeep Wrangler. JEEP is indeed going to in turn copy Suzuki Jimny (i.e., copy its own older history) and offer a small, smaller-than-Renegade b-suv, possibly sub-4m, at a pretty-low price. This is confirmed for Brazil, for end-2017, and very very likely on for india too, as confirmed to autocar recently, post-C-suv (2018, i guess). To be built off the new Punto (x6h) platform and with presumably similar architecture, as an emerging-markets special. Priced like the Scross and Duster or at worst like the totally-non-cuv-let-alone-suv Creta? For exports, as well or even mainly, including hopefully back-to-europe/usa. Styled like the Renegade and NOT like the C-suv=Grand Cherokee.

There are still, albeit faded, rumours in brazilian circles about a b-cuv (i.e., Indian new Avventura) twinned to the new Punto+Grand Sienna+this smallJEEP. THAT vehicle was clearly in the Plan announced in 2014 for both LatAm and India, one they're sticking to, to the T in brazil, but with delays of many months for India as we know and some changes (no 1.6 mjd).

The heartening thing, i suppose, is the fact that the new punto (and it is to be supposed some version of the small Jeep and the new Fiat 'Avventura'?) is also going to be launched in Europe, specced-up of course in its engineering, in 2017? Along the lines of the Tipo/Aegea threesome of models: low-cost manufacturing-base, high-enough-quality-but-very-very-price-competitive. Much cheaper than the Renegade/500X/500L. Hopefully that means India-as-export-base and not just brazil/serbia/argentina or turkey!

From my personal pov: if that small jeep is going to be Renegade-like but a bit less wide/long and with a more-inexpensive chassis+suspension architecture, may that new Avventura be similar (minus some of the higher-end cabin materials) to the 500X in design! And not a re-clad version of the new Punto, good though that too would inevitably be (as is the current Avventura.) There are indeed very strong insider-sourced and pretty credible rumours (afai can make out) that there will be 2 Punto-replacements for europe: one of them will apparently be a 5-door 500-style model, hopefully a 500X like but cheaper cuv.

Renault and Nissan are doing a similar thing: using the cheaper Duster platform for euro-styled models like the renault Captur=emerging-markets-special, lower-cost Kaptur+Nissan Kicks. In Brazil, Russia...and India (2017/2018).

Am guessing, sadly, that FCA will be slower! They, or rather the Fiat dealers, do need either both the india-made Jeeps in 2017 or at least the New Avventura (or whatever) under the Fiat brand to accompany the Jeep c-suv in 2017. Although, to be fair, outside the top 5-6 biggest cities the Jeep franchise is going to be with the existing Fiat dealers, Kevin Flynn declared at the autoexpo. That is good for them.

Me suspects the model-launch cadence will be set by the export-demand-timing. While these models are said to be 'ready' design and engineering wise, none other than the new Punto have been known to be undergoing road tests as yet. Me fears 2017 in india will ONLY see the c-suv, and no Fiat.
    rusticnomad likes this.
  2. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @prabhjot --
    1. C-SUV for 19 lacs fully loaded will keep me interested. I can wait till 2017/2018.
    2. If 500X like stuff also makes to the pipeline, I can wait for that a year more. I would love 500X over a C-SUV.
    3. Hyundai -- Never Ever. So no creta and breta for me. Somehow, I never liked their cars right from Santro days in 1990's. Maybe that's just me.
    4. Maruti -- If no options elsewhere then they have my money, whenever I am in market. But, 8+ lacs for a tin can Baleno versus rock solid Avventura, I would always find myself falling for the latter.
    5. I don't care about resale value.
    Currently happy with T-Jet and a Figo (petrol) till 2017 end when Figo would be due for being disposed off, after completing four years. So between 2017 end and 2018 end, I will possibly be in market. T-Jet never gets sold :)
    prabhjot and Murphy_Fiat like this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @rusticnomad, I share similar sentiments for most Hyundais except their older elantra or the older Accent Executive type. Also tallboy Santro still was a very zippy peppy car for congested city like Mumbai. Apart from that Hyundai has used better quality manufacturing and design this time with Creta. Do read more about it irrespective of whether you wanna buy. Duster 4x4 and Creta are two cars worth consideration IMO for every car buyer in that segment. They definitely deserve a check.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
    rusticnomad likes this.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-reviews/jeep-renegade-review-test-drive-401166,0.aspx

Jeep is giving indian auto 'journalists' a go at the Jeep Renegade: Autocar this time. Building up to the dealership launches coming up+brand-advertizing/marketing. Making Jeep seem accessible to sub-Wrangler (non-macho-types!) and sub-Grand Cherokees (non-stinking-rich-ostentatious types!)?

i.e., seeding the C-suv which will be launched in 2017 at a rumoured 19 lakhs onwards.

BUT: clearly also signalling a cheaper 'Renegade'-like desi-pricing Jeep, on the Fiat new punto platform+architecture. The euro-american Renegade's is a major-evolution of the Punto one as it is (susw 4x4), so maybe, like renault is doing in and for brazil and India etc: putting a european Captur-style on a cheaper platform and architecture, namely the Duster's, JEEP will in fact offer a cheaper variant of the Renegade itself? Rather than the brazilian Jeep 'MG'/'Junior', which will apparently similarly sized to the around-4m new punto? 1.3 mjd and 1.4 t-jet + amt/ddct, surely?

They're bandying about Rs 11/12 lakhs onwards for this model, also hugely exportable. And twinnable to a Fiat cuv (rather than merely Cross) version of the new Punto, perhaps also exportable well (to europe, egypt, turkey, iran, australia, japan?).

Still slow-going of course: this second Jeep+the Fiat 'new Avventura' will, one supposes, be localized and launched only in 2018?

And there ARE several Renagades undergoing road tests in india at the moment, 'mules' for the still-not-revealed C-suv, as well as for the to-be-localized 2litre mjd2+9-speed FCA-usa-made ZF transmission.

MEANWHILE
    : over in China, the locally-made Jeep Cherokee has sold 9000+cars in march alone, just its 3/4th month of (rising) sales. They are preparing a long-wheelbase version of that model (7-seat), cheaper than the Grand Cherokee as a China-special...and the localized Renegade will launch in the next 2 months sometime. Followed, like India, by the new C-suv/new Compass there too in early 2017. [And the localized 500X in 2018.] Jeep/FCA can totally bank on sales of 35-40K or, easily possible, more per month in China?! Prior to this localization Jeep and FCA was the largest import-brand/firm in China, selling as many a 90000 per year of fully import-tariif-paid high-priced models. No doubt Jeep exports out-of-China will also begin at some soon point, to avail of currency-cost etc advantages for sales in Australia, japan, korea etc?

i.e., FCA is using JEEP and not Fiat as the major growth brand for the only big weakness in its geographical-market spread: asia-pacific, including India. The global-head of JEEP+Ram, and strongly rumoured to be Sergio Marchionne's successor-as-FCA-ceo (?) is, of course, also head of FCA asia-pacific, including India.

FCA is near-ditching the non-500/500X-type Fiat brand nameplates in china, after the puny sales of the Viaggio+Ottimo, replacing that emphasis with Jeep, and next year, also: Chrysler, localized.

The indications are, then, that for India too it will be Jeep first (mostly retailed via extant Fiat dealers in most cities), and then it seems deploy the new Fiats, piggy-back as it were, to recoup brand-trust/prestige etc.

Good stuff, fca! Now bring'em on, even if you have to and will 'hasten slowly'! ;-)
  5. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @prabhjot -- Remember, in Indian automobile market (or even otherwise) there's always a great demand for a product that isn't on offer in India. Yo me. Renegade looks to be a Yeti competitor, and auto bloggers pitching it against Ecosport. Isn't that blasphemy? This will now get a cut/copy/rehash treatment from all the so called auto bloggers in India. Everyone will compare Renegade with the Ecosport. WTF.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    @prabhjot

Can you please share the dimensions of the Renegade. I am specially interested to know how big is the car, the wheelbase and the boot.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @rusticnomad

These guys, the auto 'journalists', are basically hack-agents for their magazine's PR orientations on behalf of certain brand(s) and against others. That is true enough, and so yeah it is perfectly ridiculous for the autocar hack to praise the Renegade massively, and then proceed to equate it to the other 'suv'-s in the market, i.e., 11+ lakhs.

BUT: FCA seems to be leading them on. A few months ago they told autocar that they were targetting a cost of 12 lakhs for the smaller, em-special suv, are looking to get the cost-base down, etc. An acknowledgment that it will be the non-'suv' Creta (perversely) and possibly the Duster that are the 'benchmark' for price-and-supposed-value. No bad thing, IF they are indeed working on getting the Renegade's chassis+whatever changed for India/EM-pricing, or if that small suv is not the Renegade literally but a stylistically-similar one, but perhaps a tad smaller?

@Ichimaru

wikipedia's Jeep renegade page has all the details. Cheers man.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    nikhil0405 likes this.
  9. nikhil0405

nikhil0405 Amatore

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    Autocar surprisingly has started to praise fiat cars since the lady reviewed the Abarth Avventura. Are they finally getting neutral and sensible or is it something else?
    amitshedha, prabhjot and dadasaheb like this.
  10. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    So any idea when are they actually planning to release it as in which month?