1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

SCOOP!! - The JEEP's have cometh !!

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  2. Revv

Revv Amatore

Chinchwad, Pune
    Chinchwadgaon Pune
    Linea 1.4
    WOW ! Jeep SRT will be a dream car to own.
    Anyway SRT retails for about 70K in US so it would cost about 80 lakh (?) in India. Okay... if I start saving from now I might be able to afford one after 20 years !!!
    Murphy_Fiat, prabhjot and gpunto75 like this.
  3. gpunto75

gpunto75 Amatore

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The last but one pic shows the right hand drive.
  4. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    I thought critics have been ranting (and hoping) since long that FCA will shut its shop in India :)
    Yet another product(s) now for them to RANT against. They will never give up. If everything is fine based on their current benchmarks, they will come up with some new benchmark to RANT against.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @rusticnomad

"What to do sirji? Kya kar sakte hain? Aisa hi hai, aisa hi hota hai aur hota rahega, etc etc etc!"

Anyway, JEEP is an all-new beginning. We are not a market that gives a hoot about history, legacy, engineering etc, even less so when it concerns India (where both Fiat for many decades, and in the ww2 and just after period: Dodge and Jeep too were so prominent in their role as early supporters of the Indian auto industry), so I do expect they'll find the going harder in this market, despite their historically unprecedented globalization-drive, under Fiat and Marchionne, to 'reclaim' the automotive category they invented, the pukka SUV, including with the Grand Wagoneer, the category of luxury-suv, a drive and push that is hugely successful everywhere, not least in Brazil where local manufacture has just begun of the Renegade (and it's selling like anything) and in China too, where JEEP is by far the no.1 import brand, now just starting localized manufacture.

These are legendary nameplates from a legendary marque. That is why we should expect complaints about how the Wrangler's ride is not cushiony-enough, or that the Grand Cherokee's highly-appreciated-in-the-US UConnect touchscreen is apparently not as 'good' as the BMW mmi system (even though this last is made by.....magneti marelli !), or that the effete and flacid Audi "suv" plastics are softer in some parts, etc.

i.e., We are very likely to MISS the whole point of a vehicle named and embodying the ethos of JEEP!

Hope that, given that it IS a new beginning with few 'legacy stigma' issues (such as those faced by Fiat in india), the JEEP launch and early brand-building exercises are big and lavish enough. They just cannot afford to skimp on marketing AT ALL, they better not just 'bank on' the JEEP name and legend. That works and is working all over the world (including europe, china, the middle east and south america too) BUT it will not be enough in india, one suspects.

All the best FCA with JEEP, an even more pure and authentic automotive brand than Fiat!
    Raj_pol, rusticnomad and gpunto75 like this.
  6. Bharath Balasubramanian

Bharath Balasubramanian Timido

Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Will any of these products be available south of 20 lakhs?
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    No, not these, far from it, since they're cbu-s, and moreover while the Wrangler has no competitor really even in the US market it is mightily over-engineered for off-roading, while the Grand Cherokee competes at prices not that different/lower to say Land Rovers, mercedes gle/m-classe, bmw x5 etc in ANY global market.

The affordable, more large sales-volume model will of course be the India-locally manufactured 'c-suv', all-new globally, in 2017. That too will be unlikely to be below 20 lakhs, more like new upcoming Fortuner prices afai can make an informed guess?

The sub-20 lakhs model will obviously be the Renegade, but it will be made in china in 2016, to go with brazil 2015 and italy 2015, including for exports, so an india-localized manufacture is unlikely before 2018 at least imo. As you know, import duties in india stand at 140%, and localized manufacture (rather than just assembly) makes sense only with the high volumes that come from exports. A for eg 16 lakh rupee jeep Renegade, a close platform and architecture sibling of the to-be-india-made c-suv, will not have the indian sales volume right off the bat.

I guess they're taking it in stages: first the brand launch and building while the new dealer network is established say in the top 15/20 cities. then, the localized well-priced c-suv (also majorly for rhd exports) and only then a more mass-market model like the Renegade or, who knows, a sub-Renegade emerging markets-special JEEP model based off an existing FIAT platform and architecture, say the one they'll be using on the all-new Fiat models launching here 2017 onwards?

@Bharath Balasubramanian
    rusticnomad likes this.
  8. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @prabhjot -- You forgot the "comfortable seating position" rant :)
    Anyways, this just instills lot more confidence in the already confident FCA m/c buyers in India.
    Now the wait for 500X or a Fortuner competitor, as you say, starts. Ageing Linea and Punto needs a refresh and not a rehash.

The localized fortuner-rivaling SUV version could hit Indian roads by 2017:
    http://motorbash.com/jeep-to-produce-fortuner-rivaling-suv-from-india/
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    great to know the jeep website India launch and it speaks loudly on the FCA's commitment to Indian market

what ever the critics rant/ comment on jeep they should remember the below.

1. "Real Jeeps are built, not bought"

2. "Its a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand it"

3. "75% of the Earth is covered by water, Jeeps cover the rest"

4. "Men drive jeeps, the rest drive cars."

5. "You can go faster, But my jeep can go anywhere."

6. "my jeep might get LOST but he will never get STUCK"

7. "I drive a jeep. An old jeep, so nobody will say I`m driving a BMW anymore. I wouldn't stand that BMW, ha ha ha! BMW make pure trouble!" - Bob Marley.

8. "The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!" - Enzo Ferrari.

9. "You'll never have to ask for directions again - Jeep".

10. "Go anywhere, do anything - Jeep"

Please add your jeep quotes the above completes the list which i have.
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    One of the news article quoted the starting price range between 13-15L for these Jeeps.