1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

SCOOP!! - The JEEP's have cometh !!

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 10, 2013.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

Now, if this is an indicator of the Renegade being committed by FCA for launch, will this be the only locally-manufactured Jeep (for exports as well, in fact mainly) or will the bigger "C-SUV" (Jeep Compass replacement globally) in their plan-till-2018, a platform and engine etc sibling of the Renegade and Fiat 500X also be localized and launched?

Autocar India had a sourced and quoted report about 6-8 months ago in which they quoted FCA asia-pac folks as saying that: the c-suv is confirmed for localized manufacture. That they initially felt the Renegade was not suitable for India, but since their customer-clinics show otherwise, that will come too. Hormazd Sorabji had a 'scoop' video on this specific both-small-jeeps-for-India news, too, just a few months ago.

"The (india-made) Jeeps Cometh" indeed...but only in 2017?!:cool::p

Now FCA, Mike Manley etc! A word about the very grave matter of the 500X being missing-in-the-Indian-action-from-you+tata at least till 2018.....!!:punch:
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  2. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot You do realize where the problem is right - it is timing. The smaller jeep is expected to compete with "Renault Duster, Hyundai Creta, Maruti S-Cross, Mahindra Scorpio and the likes in the segment" straight from the article.
    Everything is good except that they are getting the vehicle after 2 years at the best. The world will have moved on to some other style/segment and we will crib as to why folks are not buying what would undoubtedly a great car albeit at a wrong time.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 23, 2015, Original Post Date: Jun 23, 2015 ---
    However, bythen I would have finished 4 years with Odin and if I am still doing okay in life would want to migrate to a larger vehicle. Maybe, perfect time for a Jeep.

O.T They have the jeep wranglers in Jurassic World
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Time never runs out in the marketplace...if the 'brand' is healthy-in-the-market, and if the vehicle meets both the brand's professed image/promises (including ASS etc) and the car-public's needs and desires, including for status/prestige, timing becomes quite irrelevant.

There was no Jeep Renegade is existence-for-sale in any market even 6 months ago, so. The 500X started selling in Europe only 3 months ago.

The Renegade, if it is launched here but more imprtantly locally made rather than assemled here, will likely be a fair bit pricier than the Duster/XUV500 or S Cross/Creta? As it should.

Hope India is going to get, for localized manufacture, BOTH the Renegade and its C-SUV sibling with which it is said to share most modules, powertrains, and platform/architecture etc. The first one or the other latest by early 2017?!

btw, the Avventura was an attempt at 'good timing' by Fiat in India: offer something different at a good pricepoint, in a segment that has just one vehicle the Ecosport, and one that sees no Jap or Korean competition, except the Etios Cross. A good attempt, I'd say, but one that hasn't worked. Not because of bad timing, but for other reasons all of us have been discussing.

"And that's a beautiful powerful coverdrive, what timing!, but it is easily fielded at coverpoint.......and there is NO run!":p

Fiat then is like the brilliant batsman who for whatever reason (lack of form and confidence, too much caution etc) canot rotate strike and cannot hit through the field for 4's either.

Jeep, however, being a clean-sheet, charismatic brand/player, should find it easy to keep up a good strike rate, esp in partnership with 'Exports', that ever-reliable run-getter!:)
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot Just FYI...and I do not want to annoy the mods, the Avventura does not even come remotely close and to me and 10,000 other folks who have the money just looks like a Punto on boots. We have discussed and argued so let us not go that path but there is a huge difference with a 500X and Jeep compared to an Avventura. So let them go all the way and try their best and not half-hearted efforts. Bring your entire fire-power and come with all guns blazing. Time does matter, it is far more difficult to be in a market where all the brands have products then to be in a market where the competition does not have products. When the Ecosport was launched, there was no competition and they made the best of it. It took 3 years for the rest and they did make hay.

E.g. There is no competition in the Fortunner segment right now and people at that segment are desperately looking for options. Can Fiat do something - yes they can. Can Hyundai or Maruti do something - no, not now. Will Fiat do something - nope they will sleep over it. Therein lies the issue.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

MODS: please delete if deemed inappropriate or OT? thanks.

If you read my post again: i don't disagree about the Avventura-in-this-market. I was only pointing out that Fiat did attempt 'good timing'.....but it didn't work.

Please re-read the first para of my post: good timing for a weak brand is useless, off-timing for a strong/cleansheet brand is ok. That's all I was saying.

Both Maruti S and Hyundai, let alone Toyota and Honda, between them the near-oligopoly/dominant brands have had appalling timing with their CUV-s: they've allowed Ford+Mahindra+Renault to milk the market easily to the tune of what? many thousands of crores of profit-margins, and several lakhs car sales over the last 3-4 years. Appalling timing.

But once they come, as they are next month, they will sell bucketloads, and likely chewup the Duster etc's sales figures, and profits. Because the brands are strong, and so are the products (relative to the market culture/expectations).

That is why I claimed that 'timing' is not the main thing.

Fiat's problems will remain even if, say tomorrow, we have an all-new Punto, an all-new Linea and an all-new Avventura nothing like the current cars. Why? because it is the brand's position-in-the-wider-marketplace (esp trust and confidence) that is the problem. That said, there's no doubt you are correct that by now fiat should have had the 'New Avventura' (non-Punto Cross) and an all-new Linea here, freshness of the lineup does count for a lot in India. But would sales have done well? Who knows? I very much doubt it, since the brand's problems are not so much with products, pricing, engines, styling, equipment etc.

Which is why, like @dadasaheb has been saying for ever, they need, for now, another, cleansheet brand with less or no negative historical baggage: Jeep.

If the brand's strong enough in terms of charisma AND trust/confidence, timing-to-market is irrelevant.

The cricket joke I made is a serious one. Car Sales let alone profitability-of-car-firms are not a spectator sport, at any rate are not a t20 or one-day, limited-time match.
    dadasaheb likes this.
  6. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    @Raj_pol, @prabhjot i will say that with below facts -
    1. FCA is the third profit making org in India.
    2. they have the best technology in the world.
    3. best Italian designs.
    4. support in the form of Teamfiat

they should compete in each and every segment with all guns blazing and only more than full hearted approach.
    with either Jeep or Chrysler name and not the Fiat one which by its bagging only declares any product as flop.
    with the engine options like those are offered on Aegea and auto transmissions and what not.
    + Reverse parking sensors and Camera and touch screen infotainment as standard on all variants of all products.
    and giving their marketing department to the one agency which handles marketing of TML.
  7. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Wait...if the renegade is patented here... Then... Wouldn't it be easy to make the 500x here?
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. multijetter

multijetter Regolare

Can anyone tell me, if Renegade will be launched in India sometime in 2017, can we expect on road 16 Lac?

Then I can start saving for this new beast.:happy::happy::happy:
  9. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Linea T-Jet
    Fiat Always Surprise everyone with Spot on pricing. i hope renegrade will come at 13 lac price tag. another prototype is being tested with tiny tyres and that prototype is not looking same as the actual renegade. i think that is being developed for india only :)
  10. Sagz

Sagz Amatore

Retro / Classic FIAT
    These two different Jeeps have been spied over the past one month.One is the compass/patriot successor wearing an extended renegade camouflage while no one knows what the other one is supposed to be.
    prabhjot, multijetter and Murphy_Fiat like this.