1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

SCOOP!! - The JEEP's have cometh !!

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 10, 2013.

1. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Any company would think of manufacturing a product locally only if it gets return on volume. The reason why Santa fe, camry are got in as CBU or CKD are for the fact that they do not have a volume market and the company cannot invest thousands of crores in the production line without the return on investment.

The taxation is also high in India which does not make local manufacturing of high end cars viable.

Knowing the sales per month of fiat cars, I really doubt that these SUVs would be manufactured locally so early. It might take a while.
    bharath and prabhjot like this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Ah, but partial-localization esp of the engines (t-jet and 1.5 mjd) and transmissions will still enable them to price these vehicles well below the competition, which have very low levels of localization (Fortuner, Yeti, Jetta, Octavia, Camry, even Innova). I feel there is a BIG opportunity for Fiat in the above C2-below D2 price range, since almost all other vehicles adhere strictly to the volume v/s localization logic you've mentioned. Also, the competitive intensity is low, since the top-dog East Asians are somewhat weak at crossovers and Suv-s.

Fiat and Jeep will only be doing what Maruti is attempting with the S-Cross. C1 and C2 sales have boomed over the last 4-5 years. Most of those buyers will look to upgrade to the D-segment soon: i.e., the D1 and even D2 segments will see a boom, maybe not sedans but surely Cuv-s and Suv-s. FiatChrysler have just the products: the 500X, Renegade etc, which have been concieved precisely for this sort of 'emerging market' sales boom in Cuv-s.
    bharath likes this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Fiat India had announced in the India-section of its recent global five-year plan to: locally assemble the Grand Cherokee, diesel, and to import the Wrangler (petrol) as a CBU, with the brand being launched finally in 2015. But there was no word on the new, very radically styled Jeep Cherokee, which is an Audi Q5, BMW X3, Land Rover Freelander competitor, while the G Cherokee goes up against the Q7 and the M Class Merc. To be followed in late 2016 by heavily localized full manufacture of a C-Suv to go up against the Fortuner, Endeavour and Santa Fe.

Well, Fiat have just imported a diesel 2 Litre Multijet Cherokee to India, for "R&D" purposes i.e., homologation presumably. from the UK. So reveals the Zauba website.

Question is: will the Cherokee be at least assembled here too, like the Grand Cherokee? Will it be able to undercut the German marques+Land Rover, despite the higher taxes?

Anyway: it's clear that the Jeep launch in India IS being lined up! These cars can really sell, i feel, at great profit margins, since they have pedigree, look butch and have a certain bad-ass American-macho style too, and capability aplenty. Hopefully they'll be able to undercut the Germans on price too.

The 2016 all-new Jeep C-Suv for local Indian manufacture, and for exports, including of engines and transmissions, becomes a delicious sales prospect versus the Fortuner, since these three Jeeps for 2015 will not fail to establish the brand in India (again, after many decades, like Fiat, Jeep too is an old desi brand in a way!)

BUT: they really need to get their dealer+ ASS choices and set-ups very right, or else the all-conquering German marques will rmain unfazed.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    A further update, from ndtv quoting people from Jeep/Fiat India:

Jeep WILL launch in 2015 with 15 independent dealerships. Initially CBU Grand Cherokee and Wrangler (diesel, mainly) will be offered, followed by local ckd assembly. Doubling of the no of dealerships in 2016. Renegade WILL come by 2017, as will the all-new 'C-SUV' as well as the Cherokee.

IF true, and it all sounds about right: fantastic news!:):cool:

What remain as doubts are: at what prices? They HAVE to well-undercut the equivalent German models.

And so: will ALL the cars to come by end 2016/2017 be CKD? Will at least the Renegade and the C-SUV be heavily localized, for exports too?

Will the brand launch communication match the high standards of FCA in the US, LatAm and Europe, or the more pedestrian albeit improved budgets and rhetorical approaches of Fiat in India?:rolleyes:

PS: on a personal hope, this leaves me with the hope of the Jeep Renegade twin, the Fiat 500X, making it here....in 2018!:p I will have bought it....;)
  5. chakiirfan

chakiirfan Amatore

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    What about Service Center, will it be independent or it will be service in the same fiat service center used for Punto/Linea...
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    We'll know soon. I think/bet: completely seperate and independent.
  7. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    @prabhjot.

as per the inputs from a sa in pinnacle cochin, FCA india has called for the expression of interest for the existing dealerships who can open a standalone facilities for Jeep in major cities and i believe service will be provided for other cities through Fiat service centers.

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeeps cover the rest."

prabhjot, Aviral singh and Anup like this.
  8. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot Jeeps coming with the CBU route :mad: what the hell they are doing in last 2 years can not even arrange a CKD route and assembly line for Jeeps in last 2 years, this shows that at how much pace they are working.
    who is going to take them at CBU cost ? doesn't the customer who buys it will be feeling cheated after the CKD pricing after more 2 years. my salute to the planners for this wrong approach by this way they are killing the brand even before launching it.

is there any explanation with them for last 2 wasted years regarding Jeep ?
    why they are going with the same path of launching any product at higher price and then giving discounts on it.
    same will happen with Jeeps like punto and linea.

Very sad to see this news, i was atleast expecting a CKD route and undercutting the pricing of Fortuner by 3-5 lakhs at least for the corresponding Jeep model in that segment
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @dadasaheb

As I understand it, although the Grand Cherokee and the Wrangler will initially be brought in cbu, the pricing will be as-if ckd...which will be soon thereafter done for the Grand Cherokee though not the Wrangler. That is how all luxury car makers do it when they launch a new model/brand (Mercedes just did that for the C-class). So your fear is invalid. Am pretty sure they'll try to undercut the German models by a fair bit, if not as much as they manage to do in the US, the UK, Australia etc.

The Fortuner competitor will be the late 2016, heavily localized C-Suv (5-seater). So pricing should be excellent. Obviously, it will be a much superior vehicle to pick-up truck Fortuner. That's what the India-section of the global investor FCA presentation stated clearly, that's what Manley stated clearly a few months ago, and that is what has been confirmed by sources to Autocar and now NDTV.

The newest sourced reports state clearly that the Renegade will come too, in 2017. Both this B-SUV and the C-SUV should be locally manufactured and not merely ckd-assembled! If they want to make good money from exports, and if they want the good volumes that are just waiting to be had.

That is what they are saying (to Autocar, in the recent global 5-year plan) will happen. Let's see.

Exciting to witness the launch of another FCA brand, and no less than Jeep at that!
  10. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    lets see what will happen and hope for the best, at least my intention behind previous post was i want to see a lot of Jeeps in India.
    and as always you do not see any thing wrong in their planning and strategy :);)
    prabhjot likes this.