1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Schools: Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Surya, Dec 7, 2012.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Are the schools still interviewing parents?

The money involved and the sheer effort to get the child into a school, especially a "reputed" one , is insane.

Either you should make a ridiculous amount of money or be in an "influential" position where one phone call does a lot of things. This trend is really dangerous and unfortunately is here to stay.

My cousin is going to 10th class next year and for his IIT coaching FIITJEE will be taking taking 80k for 10th, 90k for 11th and 40k for 12th! Let's not talk about what his "reputed" school in Chandigarh is charging as fees. Mega bucks.

Makes you wonder where this entire system is heading?
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Just look athe current NCERT text book of 11th and 12th. The book is wonderfully written. With a good teacher the child should be able to score a reasonable score in IIT.
    May be after doing that he/she need to have some more books for more practice. That all about preparation. In current situation the time that child get for studies is almost same as that he spent for attending these classes. The things works fine in our country since there is the brain drain that is happening. As much as there is a huge demand for Indian in software related jobs this trend doesn't give any problem. But if we need to develop India as those developed countries first thing that we need to do is to prohibit the coaching centers and school education business and invest huge in quality education.
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I know a student who was thrown out of college for questioning the teacher. He had to later join a parallel (private) college, where I was working as a teacher, and was among the first 5 at the university level. This was some 13 years back.

We all know that education means the "bringing out of the best in man", "divine perfection already existing in man" etc,. But when it comes to practice, we all become lesser human beings. We are just bothered about "where is my friend's kid or neighbors kid studying".
    In Indian cities, working parents wait for the child complete 1.5-2 years to send to creche or daycare, so that they can go to work again. What behavior can we expect the kid to pick. I have seen barely one year old twins picked up at 7 am in the creche's Omni, and dropped back at 7 in the evening. I found them more happy with the omni driver than with their own parents. Parents dont have time to spend with their kinds. No Creche can teach what is supposed to be picked from home, from parents!
    Apologies to working parents who send their kids to creche at a very young age, if my comment hurts. I feel really bad for those twins.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    3 people like this.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    They have changed the name to "Interaction".:)
    4 people like this.
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Dont forget grand parents. THey play a huge vital role in shaping up kids life.
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Interviewing is illegal, interaction is not! :D

During my son's school interview, the principal asked him to tell the name of five fruits. He mentioned some 2-3 but could not remember any other. To prompt him, I asked him, "When I go to market on Sundays, what all do I buy for you?" He happily said, "Fish". :D Fish is his preferred non-veg. That was the end of the interview. He knows what he likes or what he needs, may not be what others want!
    4 people like this.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    If one of the parent has reasonably good income then one either husband or wife spending time with the kid at least when they are 6-7 years of age is better for the psychological health of the kid. Lack of parents care + pressure from schools can harm the younger minds.
    2 people like this.
  8. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    What they pay? They pay bullshit. Any staff member you seen driving a car in these schools? The students drive high-end cars but staffs comes in two wheelers which gives high mileage. As well there will be partiality too. If the kid is known as south Indian, few staffs just omit them (except if they are from rich family). I seen the same with my niece (5 years) studying in International school here in Bangalore. We seen that she was not performing in her pre-KG and now she is performing well in Lower KG. My sister told the staff of her Pre-KG gives importance to the kids of north Indians and not to the south Indians (even though the staff is a very much of south Indian) and in current class, the staff interacts with all the students in same manner.

So the racism starts from pre-KG in the international school. Is that a good sign of education?
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Yes. They do play a vital role. But how many live with grand parents in a city, Bangalore for example? To the kid, the grand parents are just visitors who come, stay for a while, and then leave. The kids understand that too.
  10. sandy.chegi

sandy.chegi Novizio

Bangalore
    Of the 17 posts for this thread, I am sure about 11-12 are from Bangaloreans. That explains what is the status of schooling/ admissions in B'lore. As many of our folks said, its insane. I am new to B'lore & its type of education so I am still getting updated to how it works in here. My wife tells that, parents stand in queue as early as 4AM or they are stay put right from previous day, standing whole night to get the application.

I understand its IT hub, but the parents who are IT prof should understand that, being in top 5/ 10 ranks or schools is not the right thing. Even they would accept the fact that, they were not brilliant students when they started. All the kid needs is all-round development. Studies, games, extra-curricular activities. When I say studies, its proper education not 90% or 95% marks. Kid should know what he/ she is learning and what it implies. Yes, all you learn need not be implemented but they should know what is it for.

I have been in Hyderabad for 25 years and I know how it works in AP. Its horrible state in terms of education. You will find residential schools starting at 5AM and ending at 12AM. Imagine, its not for all activities but just for day school and followed up by tutoring. Imagine, most (not all) of the IIT-JEEs are cracked by AP students. Some of our AP TFIans would agree to what I am talking about.

With the expansion of cities, now you hardly find grounds available for post-school activities or for that matter, schools which have grounds. Truly, I feel sorry for the kids, when I see them carrying atleast 5X more than their weight on their back, travelling in city buses. Yes jam packed city buses. We are killing them (virtually) in the name of studies and jobs. Worst part is even educated parents are falling in this trap of longer hours means better studies which is proportional to % of marks.

Adding to this chaos is the working state of parents. With the present scenario, both have to work and take care of family. As demand for availability employees increases, they stay put in IT companies even more and once they are back home, will they have time to spend with kids. Hardly any. This is not the state at my home because I am in reasonably good hands of a good company but I see around what happens.

As one of our TFIan said, parents are looking to drop their kids at creche at the age of 1.5 years. Common. What would a kid of that age, do. Anyway, let us hope our forum has reasonable parents who would bring up kids as they are supposed to.

I have something to share with all our TFIans. Will start a new thread on it. :)