1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Schools: Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Surya, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Given the Right to education for every child in India its every parents dream to give his child the best education and career for bright future. But Its become a nightmare for parents aspiring admissions in various renowned schools in the city with admissions starting early this year. There is no regulation or rules to guide the fees structure by the government which are not abide by the Private School managements. Admissions norms and unstructured fees where the actual amount paid is no where reflected in the receipts donations, capitation fees along with you have to pay for the books, uniforms, sports, computers everything.

A typical scenario where for 100 seats around 6000 applications are sold in a couple of days with parents sitting and waiting in queues to get forms. Its shocking and unusual to have a 3 year kid to go through rigorous interview process, then also no result.

Put in your thoughts and opinions on this aspect..
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    5 people like this.
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Hmm.... i guess if demand goes down for hi-fi posh schools, then automatically this insane fee structure goes down. Govt def or nearly difficult to intervene into this issues because such schools pay enormous pay scale for their employees. ex: International school. What they teach there? Crap!
  3. Absolutely zen.. Only the name and fame decides the fees estimation. If government schools are good enough to stuff students with knowledge, why would the parents go to other private schools..?
    So this makes the private schools easier to increase their fee structure. And now many feel ashamed to tell that they study in a government school, and so, the number of schools are drastically increasing. People too wants their children to study in a school with a Higher name..
    Take me as a best example[I'm saying about college].. I joined in SRM University for its name and fame.. I can't say that the education being taught there is fantastic, but the exposure we get there is fantastic and one of the best in India. And in school too, myself and my parents wanted a good school with a very good name in its surroundings.
    It is a national disease.. we cannot change it all of a sudden.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You posted on right time, I am looking schools for my daughter for nursery class, and its chaotic to take admission in Bangalore.
    Currently, I have applied in Bethany High, and NPS. There is so much uncertainty and non-transparency in admissions, you never know what they are looking for.
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Ravi, Simple solution is to have a clear mindset with the couples. To go for big names where you can boast to all people about ur kid studying in hi-fi sckool or you are contented to say yes my kid is studying in a Good school.
  6. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Off late Schools / Pre schools have become a place to loot public money! Recently my colleague paid 60k for a pre school to get his 2 yr old kid admitted :shocked Boy-O-boy, what the hell will these pre schools will do to charge 60k for a 2 yr old kid. On an avg they hav @ 200 kids per batch it seems. So imagine the amount of money involved ! So called elite schools are looting money in the name of education. This is setting a disaster trend among parents and kids as well. Imagine the amount of peer pressure the kids go through. Instead of focussing on right values, quality education; like corporates schools have got into the business of brand building. God knows where the education system is heading to in our country!
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Are we not the sole reason for these problems? We prefer PVR for crap reasons, and so we get taxed insanely. Unless people (couples) in this case learns and leave prestige, showoff, dignity aside for their kids future, things will never improve!!! :thumbs down

:A:A:A
  8. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Can you imagine the kind of interview they do to the kids in the school only one parent is supposed to accompany with the kid, all sorts of questions asked like can you recognize animals, fruits, flags of countries, rhymes on top of that they will check the IQ of the kid by giving some sort of puzzles. For God sake how can one expect a small kid to answer in front of a stranger / person whom they have not met in the past. And finally they fail the kid and see if the parents are ready to shell out more for the seat.. this is cheating in the name of education.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Crowd in Bangalore is ready to spend unreasonable amounts towads donations and school fee. In many of the big name schools, Tuition Fee alone goes to a Lakh plus. And people happily pay that. Interestingly, admission is already closed in a number of schools in the city.
    BTW, my son goes to St Peters on sarjapur road, donation is there too. After comparing the fee structure in a number of schools in around 15 km radius, I found the fee reasonable. He will complete his Jr KG in another 3 months. I am satisfied with the quality of education there. They follow ICSE syllabus. They have interview, but the intention as I felt is just to test how the kid behaves in a different situation. And the admission is not based on the kid's performance in interview.
    Each form costs in the 200 - 600 range or perhaps above that! Think of the money that schools make just by selling forms :eek:

You can get some useful information on school admissions here
    1 person likes this.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    We need to understand what is meant by education. We need to understand what we need to give our children as a parent in their life. We need to ask ourself what we expect from our child. We need to ask our self what is a success in life in their not seen through our eyes. Each and every child is a gift of god/nature with immense level of creativity. A child mind is extremely creative. A education in correct sense is some thing that will take care of the creativity. Through out their life they need to think creatively. Please do not judge their future with the current scenario. Trends will come and go. Only thing that is not changing is love, honesty, sympathy, creativity etc etc. Many of the schools that take huge fee is not imparting what they are suppose to do. Parents get a feeling that they are getting because they pay huge fee.

I am in academic and work in one of the reputed institutions in India. I was also associated with few of the others. I have never seen a students performance that is prepositional to the reputation of the schools. They didn't make much difference. Some times a student from a rural place studied in a rural school will succeed better than a student studied in a reputed school. It is not the atmosphere in school that is important it is the atmosphere that we create for our kids that is important schools comes only after that. What I mean to say is that just because some schools are very reputed and collect high fee please blindly admit the kids there.Please take care of how much time he will be able to spent at home. His travel time. The work load. The schools which pumps kids with more stuffs are actually killing their creativity. They may speak fluently, communicate brilliantly, which those schools may give, but that is not creativity. Creativity lies where they need to shine in solving real life problems whether it is in medicine,management,science,engineering etc etc. Give them the freedom. Allow them to enjoy the life. Give them the space to enjoy the pleasure of learning. Then they will come up with individual who are ready to face any barriers, They don't need any coaching, they know what to choose and what is best for them. One more thing is that too much isolation from society is not good for their social value. They should be able to mingle with all class of children. The schools that separate wealthy class from the middle class or poor class will simply spoil the virtues in them. They need to mingle with all class of friends coming from different back grounds.

In india we dream about Fiats , Mercedes, BMW, Apple ipod etc etc. For a shaving blade we need to depend on foreigners. The root problem is the creativity and the reason for it is our education system. In Japan the education starts at an later age when child's age is mature enough to enjoy it. They overtake our children soon who had started much earlier. I heard there are some schools which starts booking when the child is in mother's womb. They are nothing less than criminals. Government should have the will power to stop people doing business with school education.