1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Scary Experience in my Tjet

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by eyeguy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    @ gurjinder ... the fuel level needle showed 1/4 tank and the reserve indicator was not on.

The last time I filled fuel before the service the indicator first flashed on a couple of times then came on constantly and then low fuel was signalled on the on board display. By this time the needle dropped below E.

I always fill the tank full.

I agree with Gurjinder that the fuel pump may fail on its own but it can't burn out because there was no fuel.

I suspect the service guys messed up with the fuel gauge during service because of which I ran out of fuel and now they're trying to cover up.
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    ^^
    Which Service station was this? Wasan Kandivali?
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    But the thing is - during routine servicing, there is no need to fiddle with the fuel pump at all. Did you have any prior complaints regarding the fuel pump for which they would've fiddled with the pump during servicing?

I would also suggest you take a second opinion. If you're not at TCRS, Worli at present, take a second opinion on the issue from them.

Cheers.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    AFAIK, the fuel pump is inside the fuel tank and stays submersed in the fuel for two reasons:

1. Being electrical, fuel pumps can spark and ignite fuel vapours. Liquid fuel will not explode and therefore submerging the pump in the tank is one of the safest places to put it
    2. Being submersed keeps the fuel pump cool.

So, unless there was a specific complaint with regards the fuel pump, it does not make sense to take all the trouble to tamper with it. It is not that easily accessible, after all.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  5. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    I just confirmed with the Fiat guy at the center. According to him only the gauge is gone not the pump, but the float and gauge is not available as a seperate part. It comes as a combined assembly with the fuel pump and hence the whole assembly will be replaced.
  6. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    I got the same explanation from Fortune Powai. Hope you are under Warranty or Ext Warranty. The part costs approx 10K + labour.
  7. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    Extended warranty!

Btw... did anyone notice all the timings on the posts are wrong.
    Or is it showing like that only on my phone?
  8. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    I would be surprised if both the gauge and pump are on the same circuit. If the gauge fails, fuel pump shouldn't stop working as long as fuel is available in the tank. Somehow this doesn't seem to be correct diagnosis.
    1 person likes this.
  9. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    The real issue is, the float in the tank made the dash gauge give the wrong reading leading to the driver thinking there is more fuel (25% full) in the tank when instead it was empty. He kept driving and eventually stalled. Same thing happened to me. The pump's ability to pump fuel is not affected and can still work if he chooses to keep it and only rely on KM reading going forward to decide when to refuel.

Edit: Timings are correct for me.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I always thought that the fuel gauge was fail safe. If it failed, then the gauge would indicate "E", even if there is fuel in the tank, there by prompting the driver to refill. Guess I was wrong :(

Rajan