1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Scary Experience in my Tjet

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by eyeguy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Both. I would believe it is more on the assembler, as they have their reputation at stake, more than the component manufacturer. See the comments in this very thread. Two reported cases of the same component failure and FIAT is being blamed. No one even knows who the manufacturer is :D

Rajan
  2. Auto Freak

Auto Freak Amatore

Chennai
    That's outright scary to say the least.
    Thank God you and your family were safe

Occupant safety should be the highest priority for a car manufacturer and failure of such a critical component in a relatively new car that too while under operation leaves no option but to squarely blame Fiat India.
    Be it Quality or a design flaw.

Had it been any other country, Fiat would be having to face a very strong lawsuit

Experiences like these only make Fiat's reputation in India even worse.
    A huge thumbs down!

It doesn't matter to the customer of who the original supplier is.
    It is Fiat's responsibility to ensure that all the parts that go in to making their cars are of the required quality.
    When Fiat india puts a "quality assurance" sticker on the car, it means everything on the car is in order.
    But even if it is supplier's fault, it's again wholy Fiat's responsibility for having chosen an incompetent supplier
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    I had asked the SC DGM about the manufacturer of the pump. He said it was imported and made by Bosch. Guess it's this one: Bosch - Gasoline Systems. But in my case the pump was working, just the fuel level float was not sending the right data.
  4. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Guys,

Let eyeguy come back and share diagnosis as to what actually failed (Fuel Pump or Fuel Guage) and how (if it is known).

In Linea Fuel Pump issues are not commonly heard of and should not be prematurely generalised before a trend emerges.

As regards to the question - who is accountable for parts failure - Car manufacturer or vendor, well it depends upon the reason for part failure. Car Manufacturer gives the design, specifications as well as tolerence limits to the vendor for a part. Once vendor manufactures and supplies the part, car manufacturer QC deppt checks whether the part conforms to the quality standard & the tolerence limits set.
    But in the case of Fuel Pump in Linea it's yet premature till there is a trend visible.
    1 person likes this.
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Probably the fuel level float may have got stuck with some dust in the movement arm hinge. Dust in your tank from impure fuel ?

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  6. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Right, If the Fuel pump failed, it should have stopped pumping before the fuel went empty. If the Guage sensor failed, the Pump had to be working in order for the Fuel in the tank to get emptied.

Fuel tank being empty and the Fuel pump failing do not make sense to gether, Im guessing it's only the guage sensor that had a problem and this Sensor might be part of the actual Fuel pump assembly itself and that's why they are describing this as a Pump failure i guess..
    1 person likes this.
  7. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    @ shams ... sorry about the delay in getting back but I had 9 surgeries and 75 patients in the past 2 days so it was difficult for me to post immediately. Besides the ASS guys kept the car on Wed and diagnosed the problem only by Thursday evening.
    @ patchyboy ... the service center guys told me that the fuel tank was empty and the fuel pump had burned out. But they filled 5 litres and the car is working. In fact I got it back yesterday. When I filled some more petrol the indicator shows 3/4 tank now, so I'm really confused about the exact diagnosis.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    If that is the case, then you simply ran out of fuel and the inbuilt feature cut the engine to save from damage.

When the incident happened, where was the fuel level needle pointing to? Was the reserve light on?
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If he told fuel pump burned out, how its working with just putting petrol.

I have a feeling the service center is not telling you correctly, may be they missed something in servicing and now corrected.
    If time permits, do try to visit some other service center and get it double checked.
  10. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    ^^
    Or from eyeguy post, it seems the Fuel Guage failed, so he did not know the Fuel tank got empty leading to Fuel Pump burnt off. However, there is no point discussing all these speculations till he comes back.

EDIT: Aah. While I was on a call & this post was in draft, eyeguy has already posted above :)