1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Scary Experience in my Tjet

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by eyeguy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. shams

shams Esperto

@eyeguy, its sad that this happened with you and thank god you were safe in the end. hope you get your tjet back soon after repairs!!

having said that it didn't feel nice the way you broke up the 1st two posts of yours !! you may not be very regular on tfi but there are so many others who are!! there were 19 posts in an interval of 8 hrs before you came back and posted the details of what actually happened!! no offences mean't and this is my personal opinion :)
    4 people like this.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4

This does happen at certain SCs. Knowing this fully well, I make it a point to keep fuel only till the start of red on the fuel guage while giving for service. And, I never use the pick up and drop facility for service. I personally take the car to the SC and I myself take delivery. Other than my brother who drives it at times, I dont trust anyone with my car.

Surprising that the Service center guys, who use the Examiner even to check the battery status, didnt diagnose any symptoms of a critical part failing, during a scheduled service.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

But if the gauge is already showing 25% fuel then there is no question of doubting it. According to me this basic feature should atleast work properly and not conk off.

Its very difficult to judge exactly how many litres of fuel lying in the tank. The fuel guage is the only means.
    2 people like this.
  4. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

@eyeguy I did not hear from Fiat but my email made it's way to the DGM of Service at Fortune who I had demanded to meet anyway after the SA gave me a vague diagnosis and said Ext Warranty would not apply.

Wrote the following people. Copied service and customercare as well as I had noticed plenty of smudges on the interiors and included that in my email. Service Center gave me a complimentary interior cleaning with a "thank you come again" gift of a dislodged (broken?) center console button bar.

mangesh.kodalkar (at) fiapl (dot) com, ranjit.pawar (at) fiapl (dot) com, aashish.bhardwaj (at) fiapl (dot) com, ravi.bhatia (at) fiapl (dot) com

service (at) fiapl (dot) com, customercare (at) tatamotors (dot) com

Fiat Linea fuel pump problems - Two failures in 7 months - Attention Required

Complete Contact List is here: http://www.teamfiat.co.in/contacts/7-fiat-india-contact-list.html
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Very true. However, in this case, it appears to be a fuel pump failure and not a fuel guage failure. Both eyeguy and caffeineam keep talking about fuel pump failure. Would it be possible that there was indeed ¼th tank fuel, but the engine stalled due to fuel pump failure?

@eyeguy - could you please throw more light on the diagnosis done by the SC?

6. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

My fuel tank was empty as per the SA and they had to add some fuel for starting the car and a test run. I cross checked their claim with my fuel log app on my phone and based on the last refill I should have been very close to empty given the KM reading when it broke down. Detailed here: http://www.teamfiat.co.in/linea-1-4...8k-kms-3-years-3-breakdowns-2.html#post144183
  7. nithin.v

nithin.v Amatore

If the fiat cant even able to control the quality of a simple fuel gauge reader then it seems safe travel in a fiat is matter of mere luck/ probability.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Do let us know what TASS say about the pump. The pump should not burn due to low fuel level as there is an inbuilt protection system which cuts the engine when fuel level goes too low.

Gross generalisations like these help no one.

5 people like this.
  9. nithin.v

nithin.v Amatore

If it happens for more than one user it seems there is some quality issues right ?
  10. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Auto components are sourced from multiple vendors who may use different facilities to make them. Generally bad components make it production cars due to either inadequate QC or some unknown design flaw or material flaw (if component maker changes it save money). I don't know on who the onus lies to test properly - manufacturer or assembler.