1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Scary Experience in my Tjet

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by eyeguy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    :confused :confused

Rajan
  2. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    I don't care whether anyone thinks its a small problem but I could've been done in if I wouldn't have shifted to neutral.
    Suddenly Fiat ... Ferrari In Affordable Trim has become Fiat ... Fix It Again Tony!

- - - Merged Post - - -

Btw the fuel gauge showed quarter tank and when they filled fuel at the service center it moved and showed 3/4 th.
    Also this was the first day driving after my service so i had no indication of low fuel whatsoever.
    the last time I filled fuel the gauge seemed fine and there was never any indication (neither the light nor the on board display)
    Even the service guys only made it out after opening it up today
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Damn, this is some thing very priority issue (parts not avail) which FIAT has to address immediately i guess.
  4. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    @ tron and Arron ... thanks for your concern.
  5. mathuranuj

mathuranuj Amatore

Delhi
    OMG !!! Thank god you are ok, dude !! This is the first time I am hearing something so bizarre. You must bring this to FIAT's attention and bring it to its logical conclusion.

Having said the above; Enjoy your JET. This is really unfortunate and should not happen to anyone. This looks like to be a one off case and is more of a mechanical failure.

Be Safe and Drive Safe !!! God Speed !!
  6. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    So sorry brother.. i thought of stopping but i was in the first lane:mad:
    Though i got an inner feeling that u must be a fellow tfi'an:p
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @eyeguy - I am not able to understand what actually happened. Did you run out of fuel and the fuel gauge did not indicate, or did the fuel pump burn out and stopped pumping fuel? I am confused. Could you please elaborate?

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  8. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    I have had the fuel pump conk out twice in my car. In my case the first time I did not get a proper diagnosis and they replaced it under Ext Warranty. The second time it conked off because it showed incorrect fuel level (25% remaining) and I ran out of fuel at a signal. The second incident was 7 months after the first! This too was replaced under Ext. Warranty. I have written to Fiat folks about the poor quality and I think you should too.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Not meant to offend anyone:

While I agree that this was a scary case of a critical part failure and that you really lucky to escape an accident, I also think we, as drivers have the responsibility to track how frequently we fill fuel, or track how long we have run after filling fuel. By doing this, we get a chance to monitor anything suspicious or abnormal with the car. I don't think it is a good practice to wait for the car to tell us when to refuel, except, of course, in unavoidable situations.

I grew up seing my brother using a 6 inch wooden ruler to measure the diesel left in the fuel tank of our jeep everyday morning (1980's). I know we cant go to that extent, but it is a good parctice to track how much we spend on fuel and how frequently.
    2 people like this.
  10. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    @ caffeineam ... that's exactly what happened to me. The indicator showed 25 percent remaining.

@ fiatlover... the car was just back from the service center so i dont know if they used up the fuel (don't tell me that doesn't happen )
    And after buying an 11 lakh car if I can't rely on something as simple as a fuel gauge I'd rather stick to my 8 year old Santro ... at least it won't leave me stranded like this.

- - - Merged Post - - -

@ caffeineam ... did you get any response from the Fiat guys cos I plan to lodge a complaint too

- - - Merged Post - - -

Btw ... I have a feeling the problem is with the service guys not just the car per se.
    I have had a problem within 1 week of EVERY service I have done. ( A/c "o" ring gone, Turbo boost sensor gone, now fuel pump gone). And except for 1 Fiat expert at the center nobody else understands any thing of the car. To top it all I've got 3 calls in 2 days from the service center asking if the car is working fine ... without having done the job yet ... that too in the middle of my surgeries. Damn irritating!