1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Scary- Brakes suddenly give up

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Vineet Kumar, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Vineet Kumar

Vineet Kumar Timido

New Delhi
    Punto Evo 1.2
    Punto Evo 1.2 petrol, bought in Jan'15 and driven around only 3000 Kms (Office is pretty close and not much of a traveler). Its now happened the fourth time, when the car is being driven in a stop and go traffic for around 10 minutes, the brakes suddenly bcm hard and stop working, before suddenly coming back to life again after about 5-8 seconds.
    So far, God has been with me and my habit of maintaining distance has saved me. But it wudnt always. Complained and got it checked from the fiat service station in Okhla, Delhi but the problem still persists.
    Pls advice and suggest what to do, this is scary stuff. Also met another user of the same model at the service station who was facing the same issue and has banged his car four times while driving 50k Kms. He has taken the matter to court. Should I follow suit??
  2. svvickky

svvickky Amatore

bangalore
    Vineet Kumar likes this.
  3. Vineet Kumar

Vineet Kumar Timido

New Delhi
    Punto Evo 1.2
  4. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    This is a behavior with 1.2s, press clutch also when you break.
    Search on the forum, you will get more infor on this.
    I know its scary, but adjust your driving style to counter it.

Rajeev
    mangeshtendulkar likes this.
  5. svvickky

svvickky Amatore

bangalore
    Where i faced this:
    On bumper to bumper traffic, in half clutch try to brake, I didn't feel the bite of the brake, the car moves still.

How to adjust
    When ever i brake I ensure I brake first and go to clutch once i feel the braking. This also helps in engine breaking, but as a caution, I stopped driving in half clutch and switch b/w first n second as and when needed.

Did I really feel improvement after ECU update
    So far yes :)
    Recently I have done lots of half clutch driviing and no issues faced.
  6. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    In B2B traffic, when you ride the brakes, the revs are not enough to generate enough vaccum. The revs will fall below the idle range. So please use the clutch and then brake. The car is designed to develop enough vaccum to feed the brakes at idle rpm.

Abdul
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I believe it is a fault in the power brake vacuum system. First pressing the clutch to maintain the engine RPM for the vacuum system to generate enough braking power can be only a work around. Fiat must consider this as a safety issue and fix it ASAP.
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    @Vineet Kumar I had faced a similar situation and the cost I had to pay was heavy. I was driving in a similar B2B traffic, when the brakes suddenly gave up and I rear-ended a school bus. The bonnet, headlights and front bumper got damaged, and when I took it to the FASS they gave me an estimate of around 26K. I raised it up with the workshop head (Mr. Ragavendra Rao), asking for an explanation as the incident had scared the s**t out of me. He had a similar explanation as @jumu's and asked me to change my driving style - that is, press clutch then brake in a B2B situation. The workshop guy even bled the brakes (though I'm not sure why it was done). I have been cautious ever since and in congested traffic I usually switch off the AC and maintain a very healthy distance. But if it is just a 'work around' jugaad, as @RaviHegde is saying, something must be done about it. In my case, I probably will raise it again - this time with someone higher up at KHT Fiat.
  9. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Such an issue isn't acceptable at all. Strange that Fiat which has a much better approach towards safety of cars isn't solving this out.
  10. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    It's because both brakes and clutch use vacuum boost from booster. Sudden drop in rpm and vacuum generated from engine becomes less and pressing the clutch then makes use of that vacuum making the brakes hard.