1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Samsung Wave is here!

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by amit, Jun 17, 2010.

1. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I have been toying with the idea of getting a new phone for a long time now. The new phone had to replace my Nokia E66 and had to be a phone with capacitative touchscreen.

I zeroed in on the Samsung Wave back in March based on pictures and specs on the web. Finally the phone was launched in India at a killer price of Rs.19,000! So I am basically :dancing right now and itching to get this new smartphone.

So calling all you gadget freaks out there. Is the new Samsung Wave worth it? How good is Samsung's BADA OS compared to Android and others?

In case you want answers to the question, can it replace my Nokia E66? The E66 is a hardcore business phone and I bought it sometime in August 2009. Honestly, I haven't used it's business features as much as I should have to justify buying it. Emails were checked only to expereince checking emails on the phone!

I plan to buy the Wave on July 10. So all you gadget lovers out there, lets hear the pro's and con's of what is probably Samsung's most important smartphone launch in India this year.

http://wave.samsungmobile.com/
  2. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Amit !! iphone 4 maan !! Nobody can get better than the iphone 4

Else my next vote will go to Nexus One (Android based phone)

for both these phones : you will have to look for someone who is coming from US.
  3. I would prefer Android over the Bada Os, the simple reason being that Android being an open source OS will me more versatile. The other advantage is the Android Market (more Apps + google Apps). In terms of the Apps, I would place Android Market second after Apple Apps Store. Even Nokia Ovi is not that close. I would suggest Sony Xperia X10 or HTC Droid over Samsung Wave
  4. M A N U

M A N U Amatore

Bangalore
    Go for any android phone, it does not make sense to go for a smart phone, on which you cannot install 3rd party apps.
    With android you will be able to install , infinite number of applications free of cost from the android market.
    you can try motoflip , htc hero etc.
  5. Gmittal

Gmittal Amatore

There was some reception issues earlier with Nexus one when it was launched back in Jan, not sure if it has been rectified.
    I second Amogh for Iphone4, no phone can beat Iphone
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I have been using an Android phone for the last few weeks - the Samsung Galaxy Spica. It cost me around 12.5K and as a gadget it is terrific, :cool and the applications available from Android market is just awesome.
    But as a phone I miss my Nokia E51 :irked
  7. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Wait a minute guys. I thought the Wave's Bada OS allows apps to be loaded onto the phone like the Android powered ones?

Amogh, I don't know anyone coming from US in the distant future. Haven't checked out the reveiws of the IPhone 4 yet. I am pretty much sold on the Samsung Wave, my heart is set on it! Only thing that can pull me away from the Wave is the ease of operation of the phone. Nokia and Iphone are among the best in ease of operation , from reviews on the net the Wave's set up for email , facebook , twitter is pretty complicated. Luckily, I just need emails activated on the phone for that extremely rare occasion when I MAY need it.
  8. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Amit,

I don't think it is possible to install third party apps on bada. The applications have to be available through the samsung application store (or whatever they call it)

check out this review of the wave. The biggest turn off for me was the review of the keyboard. if the keyboard is not responsive on a touch phone : it is definitely not worth it.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-wave-s8500-680092/review?artc_pg=1

I would still suggest you to go to some cell phone grey market and check out Android based phones.
  9. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    What do they mean when they say 'the keyboard is not multi-touch'?

I don't quite get this. We can turn off the dictionary can't we?

Besides the keyboard issue the phone passed the review with flying colours. I do a lot of SMS'ing so that has me wondering if it will really be that tough to get sms's going?
  10. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Multi-touch means you can use more than one fingers at a time to create gestures for specific actions. Say, you can move your thumb and forefinger away from a point to zoom in (or open a document) and then in the reverse direction to zoom out (or close the document).

Personally I would recommend a phone with physical qwerty keyboard if you are going to do lot of sms'sing. I am telling this from my experience in using phones of all different types - Nokia E51(standard numeric keypad), BlackBerry 8830 (qwerty keypad), and Samsung Galaxy Spica (touch screen).