1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Samsung Omnia W or Nokia Lumia 710 or Android for my better half ???

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by srida, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Thanks everybody for the response. As I have said in the first post, my wifey would live with her basic fone rather than going for an Android. No offence meant but that is what she feels. Today I took her to Reliance Digital saying that we are gonna buy a new 2nd TV for our home. Then just like that took her to mobile session. We both went through all the smartfones available there (android and win 7) and I was supporting Sony Experia U, for its girly looks and android. But she liked the samsung Omnia W very much and was praising it like anything. She feels like Android UI is kinda boring and looks very usual. Win 7 looks kinda fresh and interesting. She has a Point, even I too felt the same. I even showed her how difficult it is to set a mp3 ringtone, but she said the built in ringtones are too good too. So from this I understood she is more attracted towards the Win 7 UI, and I couldn't ask her b'coz I am gonna surprise her with new mobile.

You are right about the Nokia and Fiat combo. I hate nokia but I use Nokia E63. To me nokia is like Maruthi Suzuki LOL. Luckily we both didnt liked the Lumia 710. So most probably it would be a Samsung Omnia W. It has Amoled display, 8gb memory, Win 7.5, front vga and back 5MP camera, HD recording, graphics processor, 1.4 Ghz, wifi and hotspot. only downside for us being the lack of color panels for ladies.

I am well aware of the Android's capabilities but my wifey would not even use 10 % of it.

Nokia Lumia 800 is awesone. But Omnia W is not bat at all at least when compared to HTC Radar, Lumia 610 and 710. Lumia 710 looks cheap with the hardware keys. Believe me, Omnia's touch is too good like a silk. I was really surprised. Internet reviews says Omnia has better Battery life since it uses AMOLED while other's in the same segment are TFT, which seems logical.

I am a Motorola Fan like I am a Fiat Fan. But it is looks very rough and tough, strictly not for ladies though they deserve it.

I too wanted to get her Xperia U for the interchangable colored bottom panel and the waist belt like light. But it is an Android which is the least of her liking.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Finally got Samsung Omnia W Windows Phone 7.5 for my wife. The fone is cool. Suits her very well. Though there are limitations can live with that.

samsung-omnia-w-i8350.jpg

1. The Fone pairs with the Blue and Me very well. also Blue and Me reads out the SMS and one cool things is, after the message is read out , the blue and me asks if I want to reply for the message. if I say yes, it says 'speak out the message to be sent'.
    2. Switch off the data connection and WiFi in the phone -Connect the phone to PC - launch Zune Software - Now, in the fone open internet explorer and launch a website. Wow it works. The Phone used the internet connection from the PC when Data connection and Wifi and switched off
    3. GUI is amazing and the touch is superb. The GUI is a change from usual IOS and android.
    4. facebook, facebook, facebook every where in the mobile. Set upa facebook account in the phone. The phone imports all the facebook friends to the phone as contacts. launch the phone book, all the updates from the contacts are downloaded to the fone thro some feed i guess. launch Photos in the phone, all the photo updates from the face book from the friends are downloaded. After using this fone, Facebooking on the PC feels kinda primitive.
    5. Music, Sounds are very good.
    6. battery life is quite good. whole one day connected to the internet syncronizing the mail accounts, syncing facebook, Downloading the apps. The battery lasted little more than one day.

Dislikes:
    1. With Blue and Me, If I 'speak to type' a reply SMS, the phone couldnt type. But the phone has got some problem that it couldn't type the message I speak. I tried 'speak to type' with the fone not connected to the car. Even then 'speak to type' didnt work. I think it is a Bug with the phone :A:A.
    2. The other bad thing is Blue tooth File Transfer is not available which is irritating.
    3. Also the fone is not that user friendly but that will go off after getting used to.

Would I go for this fone ? No, may be I will wait for the Windows 8 and if that fone has dropped off many of the limitations in the current 7.5 then surely I will go for it.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Congrats on the purchase and belated Birthday wishes to your wife. I have been using the Omnia W for the past 6 + months and am pretty pleased with it. A few tips:

1. Check the OS version. Mine says 7.10.8773.98 - 'speak to type' works perfectly.
    2. SMS reader is built into the phone. If set to always, then any message received will be read, of course, after the voice prompt
    3. Not sure if this happens just with Windows Phone or any phone - when the phone is connected to Blue&Me and you receive a call, say you have company in the car and do not want to use hands free, take the call directly from the handset - music/radio remains muted till you finish the call, automatically :D
    4. Set System Locale and Browser & search language to English (United States) and you will get an extra icon in Bing, which allows you to search for nearest attractions - Eat+Drink, See+Do and Shop

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rajan
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. Oh man !!! Her birthday is in october. I got the well in advance because, after a long search I found Omnia W in Reliance Digital and they too had only 2 in stock. So I have to hurry. So got the Fone and hid it in our house. She smelled it and found it out. I resisted a lot but she was at my feet and I cudn't resist anymore. I shud have been bit more careful in hiding the fone. Anyways she is happy with the fone.

So I have got a company, super cool.

1. Check the OS version. Mine says 7.10.8773.98 - 'speak to type' works perfectly.
    I will check if the OS version is what u have said otherwise will try to update.
    2. SMS reader is built into the phone. If set to always, then any message received will be read, of course, after the voice prompt
    I thought it was the Blue and Me lady's voice asking me to read the message. So it is the phone which asks and reads the message.

3. Not sure if this happens just with Windows Phone or any phone - when the phone is connected to Blue&Me and you receive a call, say you have company in the car and do not want to use hands free, take the call directly from the handset - music/radio remains muted till you finish the call, automatically

I think it happens with all the phone. My Nokia N63 works just like u said.
    4. Set System Locale and Browser & search language to English (United States) and you will get an extra icon in Bing, which allows you to search for nearest attractions - Eat+Drink, See+Do and Shop
    I have no Idea where to set it. Will browse thro the phone again today and find it.

Are you using the Phone for Maps ? how is it for the Indian Cities. Throw some light on it. I have never used maps on any mobile. So I dont know if Omnia W is good or Bad.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Oops. So, advance Birthday wishes then :)

I do not use the maps extensively. Did use it some when headed to Pondicherry last month and it was pretty accurate.

You will find System Locale and Browser Language settings here: Setting -> region+language

Rajan
  6. Sure will convey the wishes to her :)
    And for the maps, I will be going to Ooty for the meet, I will try to use and learn from it. And Thanks for the settings rajan.

If you are attending the South India Meet @ Ooty, we can call and club 'Official Samsung Omnia W Owners Meet' to the TFI meet. LOL !