1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Samsung Omnia W or Nokia Lumia 710 or Android for my better half ???

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by srida, Sep 6, 2012.

1. I am planning to gift my better half a new windows mobile phone for her birthday. All these days, She never showed interest in an I Phone since it was too costly and Android too didn't impress her since it can been seen every where (just like swift). But she really liked the Windows phone just for the tiles. Since gadgets are not her priority a Windows Phone is in her long term shopping list. I thought of surprising her with a Win 7 phone on her birthday because if the item is in her long term list, she would not buy it for sure. I have shortlisted Samsung Omnia W and Nokia Lumia 710. Specs of Omnia seems to be better than Lumia. Omnia lacks in the girly factor, Lumia has got girly girly colors. Some how I prefer Omnia for the tech specs. But still I am not sure if my decision for Windows Mobile Operating System is right. I have heard Win 7 has lots of limitations like
    1. no bluetooth file transfer possible
    2. mass storage mode not available
    3. Maps are not useful
    4. not many apps available.
    5. Chipset might not support Win 8 upgrade.

But still my wife might use the phone for attending calls, Facebook and those colorful Tiles. Other than that she might not even set personalized ringtones. So people who are using Windows 7 Phones, please tell me, Other than the above limitations are there anything else for which I should not go for a Windows Mobile ??? Also let me know if Omnia is better choice than Lumia ???

Thanks in Advance.
  2. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

@srida- Lucky or unluckily two of my friends own the Omnia W and Nokia 610. I would any day suggest a Android device over the WP7 as its quiet complicated and many things don't work out to be that easy. Android's are more user friendly and have a better interface + it supports dual core technology which is not supported by these two devices!
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Never been a fan of Samsung eventhough I own a S2. I don't know the reason. But, it is just not perfect for me.

Think about alternatives like HTC or Motorola. I don't know their line of products.
  4. Nokia Lumia 800 is worth considering if budget is not a constraint.The touch screen is pretty good,and will fulfil all the requirements of your wife.

Samsung Omnia is not that great,has very bad battery life,touch is not that good either.

You can also check HTC for windows based platform.
  5. sungoa2010

Motorola defy Dust proof and water resistant(which they claim) can also be considered.
  6. I use Xperia Neo L,retailed at Rs 18000 in bangalore but they are available for RS14300 in ebay.
    Good phone especially screen,sound and network not much of internal memory though but supports upto 32 GB SD card.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    srida is asking for the operating system as well :D

i can understand the your statement of resistant power when it is thrown and when it comes to our beloved ones :D
    1 person likes this.
  8. maverick

maverick Amatore

Dont go with Nokia Lumia 710 since you will not be able to upgrade to Winodws 8 when it gets launched. If you are very specific on Windows phone wait till WInodws 8 is launched and phones are released based on that. My first pick will be an Android if you want to hack around the phone a lot.
  9. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Samsung unveils world's first Windows 8 phone Ativ S . Hope you can wait for this (Click here) .One another interesting review of a phone which I read & liked (This is from a different forum) is (This was posted by a tfi member)

" My colleague had bought an HTC Evo 3D from US Amazon. Impressive phone, it was more than a steal deal at just 15K INR (When converted).

The phone offers glassless 3D - you don't have to wear any glasses to view 3D videos or pictures. Phone has two cameras and can take 3D pictures and videos as well. I am really impressed with that glassless 3D technology. It is not even heavy on your eyes like the 3D viewing with glasses on.

Only downside of glassless 3D is that your viewing angle is so restricted. If you slightly tilt the phone or your head, you can distinguish the phone displaying two separate images. When you view it straight at a certain distance (about 1.5 feet away from your eyes) each eye will see completely different frames - captured by two different cameras at the back - hence the real 3D effect"
    1 person likes this.
  10. arpenkar

I dont know if my reply is in time...but will go through in the hope that it is...

@Srida, From the opening post in this topic, it is very clear that your wife has a preference for a Win UI device. With a bias as this, comparing Android devices and such do not do much justice to it!! Cause people with liking to a particular brand for a particular reason are not that satisfied with anything else.

However, I do advise you to stay away from the Win 7 phones and if possible wait for the Win 8 ones to show up. Although not yet officially launched in India, this would make a great choice
    Nokia Lumia 820 - Smartphones - CNET Reviews

I think the colour changing back plate could be a very appealing thing to ladies overall!! For the tech geeks, this is a dual core snapdragon from Qualcomm, similar chipsets in most of the Android phones around.
    The NFC song playback looks nice and hopefully since both Microsoft and Nokia and putting their faith and future on these, might be worth the money...

On a lighter note, driving a FIAT and using a NOKIA Lumia might be a rarest of rare combination!! LOL!!