1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Safety concerns of Maruti

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by renjithlal, Nov 22, 2015.

1. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @acechip Indeed true, I am not aware of the exact circumstances of the accident. My initial guess was that, could be the car was dozed off by a locomotive, to suffer a damage of this sort. May be the car was removed from the railway track after the incident. Or it might be a terrible accident on the road. Nevertheless you may please go through the pics in post no. 1, which again is an accident involving a Baleno, and what you'd see is a mangled scrap of metal there also. IMHO safety of Marutis is a big question mark only.
  2. acechip

acechip Superiore

There is no doubt that the Baleno is a lightly built car, as opposed to say the Fiats or even the Tata/ VWs. Therefore, the chances of a major injury in a high-speed or high weight impact are more (referring to the Harley-Baleno incident at Mumbai). But that would be the case with a majority of the cars on our roads today. Therefore, as prabhjot says, the real safety lies in the prevention capabilities like the impact beams/cross members which should be essential to the design. That said, there is absolutely nothing available in today's times that will protect a car from a high-speed impact exceeding 100 kph, the margins for any car are very less, be it the Baleno or the BMW. In those situations, you would 'hope' that the structure and all round secondary protection will help, but there is enough evidence to the contrary.
  3. gpunto75

gpunto75 Amatore

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Does this mean that MSIL is catering the structure that is enough to satisfy the conditions of minor blows. And it doesn't needs so called rigid structure that is anyway not going to be useful above 100kmph.
    In such case then, the thread itself stands for no reason.
    prabhjot and V. K. Pasupathy like this.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @gpunto75

Torsional rigidity is something different to crash safety chassis design (whatever the speeds or parameters/criteria).

imo Maruti S has somewhat-enough 'rigidity' for India (for better nvh, handling and ride quality) on its new models, thanks to the 'high-strength steel' they say they're now using, etc.

BUT: it is extremely dubious to me at least that they've bothered at all with the crash safety angle to even the dilute ASEAN ncap standards, let alone the cost-of-repair angle (which absolutely requires strong and thick/heavy sheet metal+bumpers, etc).

I feel the Renault Duster is similar, though not as bad, too: pretty-rigid chassis by our standards but (too?) light build+crash-safety+repair-ability/cost quality.
  5. acechip

acechip Superiore

I can say that Duster is somewhere between the Asians and the West Europeans on the build quality (true to its East European roots:shame:), and closer to the West in terms of repair costs. But in terms of ride/handling engineering, it manages to offer best of both- with a subtle bias towards ride quality. And of course, its go-anywhereability, even in 2WD avatar. Perfect for our urban/rural Martian landscape.
    I drove the Tata Zest recently, I found it quite comfortable in terms of ride quality, almost Duster like in city! The overall sheet metal too has better 'heft' than the Baleno or a Honda.
    Turbothinghy and prabhjot like this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Except perhaps with engines, Tata Motors engineering/automotive allround 'composition' AND build quality is to me excellent, and has been for a long while (since the Vista/Manza?) As a result, car-brand-trust surveys by j d power find that the Tata name has more of that any other firm barring MS, HY, Toyota and Honda in India, WAY more than Ford, Fiat, VW, Skoda, Renault-Nissan.

@acechip
  7. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Tata vehicles have always had nice ride quality. My uncle in Mumbai has a Vista and it rides very well in the city, almost carpet like. Yes the sheet metal is also better when compared to Honda, Maruti and even Hyundai (Till Grande i20). The cute little Tiago weighs more than a ton :D
    prabhjot, krishna01 and Raaz like this.
  9. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Here are another accident pictures involving a Maruti at Vizag (received in a WhatsApp group). All 5 occupants are reportedly died in the crash.

IMG-20160928-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20160928-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20160928-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20160928-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20160928-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20160928-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20160928-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20160928-WA0015.jpg