1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Safe Driving Techiniques

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by svvickky, Nov 12, 2013.

1. svvickky

svvickky Amatore

bangalore
    Hi All,
    Being a novice in driving with exp of just 6 months. I always wish to learn tips from experts. Just though would start a thread where experts shall suggest Driving Techniques for people like me.

Just to kick start the discussion. I took my car to native for diwali and faced with couple of situations, where I couldn't really know how to over come it

Scenario 1:
    ----------
    Me driving on 3 lane NH from Bangalore to Salem on center lane. There was a two wheeler in-front of me, how was driving little slower, I didn't want to over take him as i noticed a vehicle speeding the right lane. Instread i honked at him to move to the left lane. He started moving towards left lane.

Now to my shocker i noticed an I20 trying to overtake me from left, I really doubted if the two wheeler would be visible to him. So I immediately put my left indicator and slowed down my car. Just in-case to alert the i20 to avoid over taking me from left.

i20 slowed down and again took the right most lane and over took me.

Please advice me what would be right way to negotiate this situation safely.

Scenario 2:
    -----------
    This was faced by my uncle when was driving to chennai.
    He was on left lane at speeds around 70 km/hr, there was a pedestrian crossing the road. Though he could slow down, the pedestrian was hit by a speeding car on the adjacent lane :( . Sadly the pedestrian was seriously injured.

What precautions shall we take if we are overtaking a vehicle, is there any way we can know if any pedestrian or vehicle crossing the road while overtaking.
    Or is there any way we can indicate the overtaking vehicle not to overtake, as there is danger ahead.
  2. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    In Scenario 1:

Whenever you are in middle lane and want to cut the lane.
    Before done so first check both the sides (left / right) and if there are cars on both sides or either side let them pass first.
    This will avoid creating unnecessary panic situation by either you. This wont take your few seconds.
    Give a appropriate turn indicator and take the overtake :)

In such cases please don't be hurry.

Otherwise the biker in middle lane itself might give you pass in meanwhile.:car
  3. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Good thread and thanks for the good questions something to think about.

I can onlysay what I would have done in these kind of situations.
    I have seen many truck/bus drivers signal the overtaking cars (coming from right) for any oncoming situtaion ( as trucks normally blocks the view),
    I never ignore those signals and always slowdown.
    I feel we can also do the same to other cars, however rolling down the windows and signalling by hand is difficult and not possibe sometime.
    Also I noticed many cars putting hazard lights when they abruptly put break or there is some obsruction in the front, I am not sure but it looks like there are some features in their cars or they have retrofitted something which will automatically or easily let them put the hazard lights.
    Anyone knows about any such features can be fitted or available ?
    I find it difficult to push the hazard light fast enough in my Linea without loosing focus and attention on the road ahead.
  4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Skills of Defensive Driving

There are several training videos available online. Here is the first one in a series of 9 or 10 videos from Australia.
    There are several others as well. I shall try to find and post their links.

Here is the first video from another series which covers all aspects of driving a car.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    It is a very good thread.

One of my friends cousin brother drove about 4 to 5 L kms in various cars in last 15 years. One day, he was about to cross the speed check post, he crashed his car and all of them in the car were seriously injured (this accident happened around 4 to 5 months back near Sankagiri - Erode junction) with multiple fractures and internal bleeding as well. Now they are all recovered from the injury and back to normal.

IMO, how many videos we see and training we go, it is at that split second what we react for the situation matters. We would have encountered so many similar situations, but one reaction can make it worse. So drive carefully and safely.
    1 person likes this.