1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sachin #10 and a palio

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Nimish antony, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar .. Its one name that our nation respects unanimously. The records he set and the fame he has given us needs no mention. Now what has a petrol head got to do with a cricketer ?. Sachin has endorsed quite a lot of brands and a few automobile brands too. It was during his mid career he had been the brand ambassador of FIAT when the palio received the CAR OF THE YEAR in 2002.

At this juncture fiat had introduced a car in Sachins name a move that was unheard till then or to date in the automobile industry. The limited edition car was named after the master blaster as S10.
    S symbolizes sachin and the number 10 represents the jersey he wears and his name also coincidentally has the syllable ’10’. His name and jersey number have been branded many times as ’10dulkar’.
    It was a limited edition tag car which was sold only for the said period as a part of a contractual agreement from 2002-2003.

500 limited edition cars were made in a Yellow which were individually numbered from 1 to 500. The limited edition number badge was engraved on the left door and rear boot so each car had its distinct identity. The state of tune for these cars ran different with a short ratio gear box, limited edition badges, skirts, spoilers and trim made it different from the ordinary machines.
    The first of the limited edition car was given to Sachin as a gift and it was badged with the number 10.

The Fiat company had its ups and downs in the market and the Italians could never get a threshold in India despite their superior technology and mesmerizing designs. Their path to resurgence is keenly watched by many as they left their joint ventures and are on the move. The performance brand Abarth is expected to launch and petrol heads are waiting eagerly for the scorpion sting. They had given the enthusiast a sting with the Yellow machine back in the early days which still memorizes many.

The story now moves from 2003 to 2014 and its a long era to pass. I had a special affinity to the S10 and build one up with full dedication only to experience how good it would have been when it was launched. Since the dealership was non centralized back those days it was difficult to track a data base of these machines. Many owners and forums shared inputs and various cars were taken down to be restored down with time. Some of these machines have been wrecked while the lucky ones survived in the hands of a few and the latter were axed for parts.

I used to keep a track of the serial numbers and wanted to know if the said story of Sachin and was curious if he did own the 10. No concrete data was available but i knew it existed somewhere and had a dream that some day i might be able to record info on the same. But my instincts said that somewhere rests the magic car which was gifted to the icon. Where is the question and is it true that the number 10 car was with the master blaster. Well it must be true if history says so but we have no concrete proof to substantiate the claim of the number TEN
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 5, 2014 ---
    A lazy Sunday i just collect a few old time DVDs and got to watch Mackenna's Gold and just after my lunch late afternoon i get call from a friend from Mumbai.

My friend : He was like are you interested in a well maintained S10 ?.
    Me : No ways as i already have one and ive no more parking space and i was like why do i need one more Fiat car which i already have..
    My friend : ohh fine. I just wanted to let u know since its sachins car.
    Me: well all S10s are sachins cars...
    My friend : well buddy im talking about Sachin owned this car. Do u get it.

I was like frozen and could not believe my ears. Is it really sachins own car and the magic one that was gifted to him for his Birthday by Fiat. I woke by from my siesta rubbing my eyes in disbelief and did not want to get carried away. I asked him to send me some pictures and he said its not possible as the car is presently owned by a collector and he does now wish to send pictures across.

I was like in dilemma to believe or not to believe. The car had to be checked out and my friend no further details of the car. I had to make a travel to mumbai to check it out and was not in a position to travel anytime soon.

Now the questions arose. What do i tell my family? What lie to i tell my Boss? How do i get the car back? Is it true ?. I had to take a chance or leave it. But what if its true and i miss this big opportunity. I decided that im going for it and not let it go. Now i had a series of answers planned for the above questions and set on my treasure hunt. Well some treasures are hidden and have to be found out. I looked no further and went with the mission. The mission to find the hidden treasure of the magic 10 by 10dulkar

Reached Mumbai and called my friend and we went to the place where the car was supposed to be. The owner was a young guy and had quite a few collector cars in his collection. He seemed to be not much interested in talking and asked me if im OK with the price for the machine. I said YES and he took me to his parking lot corner where a Yellow Machine was resting at a corner.
    I was like am i going to be bakra or is it the real 10... I opened the left door to see the badge number and it was the number TENNNNNNN.... I could not hide the joy in my face and turned pale seeing the magic number associated with the car which is known for.
    The owner showed me the papers of the car and it was registered in the name of Ajith Ramesh Tendulkar and now with the current owner from 2008. Sachin had sold this car in 2008 and it had been used for 4800 kilometers till then. The car had done only 21,000 kms to date and that was again a big luck for the rarest of the rare. The paint was in original and to add cream to the cake this car had Airbags in it. It was heard that a handful of s10s were launched with Airbags and ABS and it was known as the S10 SP (Safety Pack)
    I rechecked the ODO to see if it was tampered and had a close look at the engine room. Seeing me cross checking the same the owner came to me and reconfirmed that it was used only sparingly. In fact the car was left at Sachins brothers house and it was sparingly used and the palio was left unattended and finally picked up. The car was used in the Advertisements and for the S10 brochure shoots and that was when sachin got to ride the machine. The car was used as the run around car before being picked up by the current owner.
    So i was like too happy and too good to be true against the rule "If its too good to be true then its not true".

Crossed checked all documents and RC papers and it was found intact. Car registered in the name of Ajith Ramesh Tendulkar. I asked for a days time and made sure i will pick it up at any cost. Head back to the hotel room to ransack my brain on how to move things from thereon.

Now the most difficult phase was how do i convince my family as the Yellow palio was no different to them. It all looked alike as and it all makes the same noise as per them (the FFE note of my present car). Moreover the price was on the higher side much more than my allocated budget. Had to work out new permutations and combinations to generate the extra buck he demanded and it was no way of a bargain. I had to take it or leave it. Spoke to my cousin and he said he didn't mind joining hands in picking up the classic and i was relieved. The condition was he was abroad so i had to restore it and make it totally road worthy to 2014 standards so we could preserve it. We worked out a joint deal and i called up the owner and agreed for his deal and price.

The next day i did a NEFT transfer to the owners account and picked up the machine. The documentation was done and we finished the deal in half an hours time. I needed to cross check the oil, coolant, brake fluid level and found it to be perfect. Spoke with my mechanic in Bangalore and told him that im starting from Mumbai via road and told him to get ready for a new project.

Started from mumbai and halted for the night at kohalpur as i was dead tiered and could move no further. Wanted a hot shower and a good nights sleep as this machine made me loose quite a few nights of sleep. The next day we started from Kholapur to Bangalore and we had to cover a distance of close to 650 kilometers. The 1.6 motor was free flowing to its glory but i didn't push it to the limits as i was not aware of the condition of the timing belt and internals. Reached Bangalore in the evening and headed straight to the garage to start the preventive maintenance. My trusted mechanic could not believe that i had acquired Sachins car and he was more eager to work on it.
    the picture of the legend with the car at the time of launch

sachin.jpg
    a few pictures of the car.

airbag.JPG

odo.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG
    the rest of the pictures from Mumbai to Bangalore

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

12.JPG
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Awesome, Doesn't look like it needs any work done on it. Looks brand new.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    What a nice car with great history and what a wonderful road for the GTX. Nice pics. Congrats for the car.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Congrats for the car..
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Nimish antony Wow, great to see Sachin's car in true Fiat fan's hand.
    A true treasure.
  6. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Congratulations @Nimish antony!!! Great to see Sachin's car in true Fiat fan's hand.

Car seems to be in mint condition and looking at its short stint from Mumbai to Bangalore, no fuss indicates the same.
    When you mention about new project what all things are planned buddy?
    kedarbendre likes this.
  7. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    Keeping the historic importance of the car only the mechanicals will be worked on. The OE paint will be retained and it all parts that have worn out with time will be replaced. I have finished with the mechanical preventive work as of now.
    Parts replaced
    1. Timing belt, tensioner and bearing (was not worn out but it was preventive)
    2. Clutch Master Cylinder , Slave cylinder and Clutch assembly
    3. Fuel pump
    4. Alternator rectifier
    5. Ac belt
    6. Power steering belt
    7. Alternator belt
    8. Battery
    9. Wheeel Bolts (16 nos)
    10. Oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter for now.

Strictly no cosmetic mods for the car. :)
  8. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

^^^My friend : well buddy im talking about Sachin owned this car. Do u get it.
    This got me goosebumps! :)
    Congrats!
    Prashant Teki likes this.
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    @Nimish antony you are the man and I am more than happy that you managed to get this car.

Looking forward to restoration tale of this car.

You lucky chap. :rolleyes:
    Cinju likes this.
  10. James Borges

James Borges Timido

Pune
    Pune
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Hi Nimish you are one lucky guy, thats a million dollar find. Congrats!!!
    Yes the value is in keeping the car as original as possiable. Cheers.
    Btw its my first post on tfi and what a way too start it with a comment not the most valuable S10 in india.
    Cheers.