1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sabarimala anyone?

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by PatchyBoy, May 16, 2013.

1. The vandiperiyar-vallakkadavu roads will be bad especially once the monsoon is on... I'll try and get latest condition... Theni-Cumbum-Kumily road is good now..only gotta take care of a few diversions and unmarked speedbreakers here n there till lowercamp...
    1 person likes this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I may be interested. But, will confirm in a week. I can join you guys at Karur or Dindigul.
    2 people like this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Absolutely. Would love it if you can make it.

BTW, we have blocked 2 rooms in the Sannidhanam for the night stay. When I say room, it is just a roof over the head. Bare bones, unfurnished, but we will have a place to stay. Each room can accommodate 5-6 people.

Rajan
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    Been to Sabarimala and back from Trivandrum this Monday.
    Took the TVM-Adoor-Pathanamthitta-Vadasserikara-Laha-Pamba route.

It rained in that area during the weekend and thus the amazing weather at night. Encountered fog and occasional rains during the onward journey.
    Roads are generally in good shape through out with awesome rubberized tarmac from Plappally to Pamba.
    The steps from Pamba to Sannidhanam wore a deserted look at night. Had darshan at 6.30 in the morning and did all the rituals peacefully.

Rajan : where did you book your rooms?
    1 person likes this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Friend of mine is a sponsor for 2 rooms and is allowed to use them once every season and at all other months as per availability :D

Rajan
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Here is the itinerary:

15th June 2013- Saturday

05:00 AM Leave Home.
    05:30 AM Pick up couple of friends from Bangalore Cantonment Railway station.
    05:45 AM Pick brother up from Diamond District, Kodihalli.
    06:30 AM Group up with fellow TFIans, immediately after the first Toll booth at the KA / TN border. Guys, pay the toll, cross the booth, pull over to the left and wait.
    06:45 AM Leave the Toll Booth.
    07:30 AM A2B Ghar Dhabha, Chinnar, Krishnagiri, Tamil Nadu. Stop for breakfast. My friends coming by train will need time to shower and freshen up as well.
    08:30 AM Leave A2B.
    01:30 PM Arrive at Meenakshi Bhavan, Dindugal. Lunch and fuel filling, if required. Meetup with Ramjn, hopefully.
    02:30 PM Leave Mennakshi Bhavan.
    06:00 PM Arrive Pambha.

Bangy folks who are joining - Please be at first meeting point, before 6:30, if possible.

@nkrishnap - could you please confirm if I have mapped the correct Meenakshi Bhavan. BTW,Thanks for the tip buddy.

@Ramjn, if you are making it, could you get to Meenakshi Bhavan, Dindigul, by 01:30 PM?

@Puntostat - Hope the dates match your plan too.

@Wolverine_Arnab - This was the plan I was discussing with you couple of months back. Hope you can join.

@Raj29 / @Surya - Hope you are still on.

My suggestion would be to car pool, if possible. But it is your individual decision, if you want to bring your rides.

Here is the route map

Rajan

PS: Those interested, can we PM mobile numbers to each other, so we can co-ordinate better? My number is Nine Six Six Three Three One Two Seven Seven Nine
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
    2 people like this.
  7. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The Meenakshi Bhavan hotel I mentioned is the one at Theni. Link to the map here. This one is right next to the BPCL bunk towards the right hand side when you are traveling towards Cumbum.You can take the bypass and need not enter Dindigul city. The exit after Palani road needs to taken to head towards Theni. Further about 100 meters you will find IOCL bunk to refuel.

Note: Take the service road after crossing the Palani road so the underpass towards Theni is accessible. Else one will need to travel about 5-6 kms to take a U Turn on the NH7.

PS: Since the start off time from A2B is 8:30 am. You will have to travel around 380 kms. and doable in about 5.5 to 6 hours. If a slight adjustment is done to the itinerary (by starting from A2B by 8:15 am, you should be able to reach Theni by 2 pm for lunch. Subject you don't get stuck in and around Salem due to traffic.

Note: The traffic up to Salem would be a bit dense. Once Salem is crossed, the traffic will be sparse and the roads are excellent, good speeds can be maintained.
    3 people like this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks buddy. Revised route map based on nkrishnap's input.

@Ramjn, please choose a meet up point.

Any other place for lunch? Suggestions most welcome.

Rajan
  9. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The NH 7 by passess all the cities right till Kanyakumari, The adverse impact of this is, you will need to enter the city leaving the highway which will eat up quite a bit of time. However, on the highway, there are quite a few Dhabas/small restuarants, but how hygenic it would be is anybody's guess.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I will confirm in a few days. I can join you guys at Dindigul. We can catch up somewhere near Dindigul bypass. Making it at 01.30 would not be an issue. It would be around 6.5hrs drive for me from Chennai.

Road widening was going on between Theni and Dindigul. Does anyone know the status of current road condition in this stretch?
    Last edited: May 25, 2013