1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sabarimala anyone?

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by PatchyBoy, May 16, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Guys,

A group of 4 of us are planning on a pilgrimage to Sabarimala in June. The temple opens from 14th to 19th June. So, here is the tentative plan:

Leave Bangalore as early as possible on 15th June - depends on the arrival of the train from Hubli, in which my friend accompanying me would be coming. Expected to arrive by 6 AM.

Reach Pamba by 6 PM, have a bath in the river and start the trek uphill. Get to Sannidhanam by 10 / 11 PM. Rest there for the night, get up early on 16th, complete Dharshan and climb down by noon. Start from there and get back to Bangalore in the wee hours on 17th.

This is the route I have always taken - B'lore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Karur-Theni-Kumily-Vandi Periyar-Sabrimala.

Any inputs on road conditions are most welcome. Anybody interested in joining are also most welcome, but will have to come in their own car, as we are 4 adults already in my T-Jet. For those who have never been to Sabarimala before, the uphill trek is 7 kms and can be really difficult. Would easily take 4 hours, unless you are supremely fit. The down hill trek is surprisingly harder than uphill.

Having said that, once you get uphill and come face to face with Swami Ayyappa, trust me, all the fatigue will vanish. I am not a religious fanatic, but have experienced the phenomenon more than once, so I know it is a fact.

Rajan
    11 people like this.
  2. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    I'm planning in JUne as well...

Same route..but not sure of dates..
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The temple is open only from 14th June to 19th June, so limited time frame. Hope you will be able to join us.

Rajan
  4. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Hi Rajan,

I have always thought about going to Sabarimala, but have stayed away keeping in mind that one can go only if they are taking up the pooja or some form of special dhyan.
    Can any one visit the temple? Are there any special rules one should follow?

I would be intrested in doing this, but cannot confirm right now. But if i have to do it then i will join you (ofcourse, in my ride) :)
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Anyone - excepting women in the fertile age group - are allowed. If you follow the vritham (special dhyanam), then you will be carrying the irumudi and will be allowed to climb the 18 steps (pathinettampadi) leading to the altar. Else, you will have to take another route and will still be allowed to have dharshan.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  6. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Ok. That sounds great. Let me plan accordingly.
  7. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    On the route, driving up to Dingigul and then taking the Theni highway from there is better as the roads are freshly laid and would be better than the karur - Theni road. Also refuel at Theni as not many bunks have good quality fuels. IOCL bunk near Meenakshi bhavan is the best bet and they do accept Debit/Credit cards.

The route from Cumbum to Kumily had loads of potholes. Will get updated status on this stretch.
    1 person likes this.
  8. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    I am on a pilgrimage to Sabarimala next week.
    But would be driving from Trivandrum and I would be taking the other route via Ranni.

Generally the roads leading to Sabarimala are maintained well throughout the year nowadays.
    June you should be expecting heavy rainfall in the area and could possibly lower the speed of your travel.
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
  9. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    I have not visited this pilgrim even once would like to join with my drive
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Maybe you can team up with Raj29 and puntostat, if the dates are suitable to him. We can minimize the number of cars and conserve fuel, I think :D

Rajan
    2 people like this.