1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

S.O.S. - Query about Kolkata dealership and registration

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Nirav, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Nirav

Nirav Timido

Kolkata, West Bengal
    Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi friends,
    I have booked a Linea T Jet Emotion from Austin Distributors Kolkata. Though my experience with them has not been good. So much so that it is bordering on harrowing. But I think that this is not the right thread to discuss that. But its necessary to understand my plight.

My car was delivered to the dealer workshop 1 week ago. The day the car arrived I made the balance payment in full and the sale invoice was made. I requested the dealer to register my car in the first week of January 2015 so that I get a 2015 registration number. Now today I insisted that since the vehicle is fully paid for they should register it and deliver it to me on Sunday the 4th of January. They simply said that they will not be able to register it now due to some internal issues and will deliver me the vehicle with the TC number and and the documents of the temporary number will be given to me the next day and a permanent registration will take another week. This they are promising verbally. On insistence I was told that they don't have the necessary documents that are required to be able to register Fiat cars. Austin distributors are dealers of several other brands. On further insistence they just said that this is what it is and they can't do anything apart from delivery my car with a temporary registration number.

First of all I feel they should have informed me of their inability to register before taking the full payment. Now they are only giving me a verbal promise of getting the permanent registration within a week of delivery.

My query is what is the downside of taking a delivery with a temporary number and what are my options if the dealer is not able to register my car within the stipulated period of one month from the temporary registration.

This doubt stems purely from my experience with the dealer till now and I am pretty confident of the brand Fiat's long term commitment and am very positive and kicked about the TJet that I have purchased.

Looking forward to a reply from the fiat fans just like me specially if anyone in Kolkata is facing a similar situation after booking with Austin Distributors.

Thanks in advance and Cheers
    Happy New Year to all members.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Nirav

Sad to see that your joy of bringing home a Fiat is marred by dealer stupidness. I would suggest to a strong worded mail to Fiat India and on their FB page. If you have Mangesh Kodalkar's contact details, do drop him a mail or call him. In case you need his no PM me.

Coming to your query, if you have the receipt of temporary registration you can still drive provided the dealer gives you the permanent registration receipt with number plate after one week. Take that in writing. If they dont have sufficient documents for registration means its serious issue which needs to be brought to Fiat's notice. Maybe Kolkata TFIians who recently bought the car from Austin can pitch in for any further directions.
    Nirav and prabhjot like this.
  3. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nirav,read your story.The only problem with a temporary regn + permanent regn is that you are paying the extra amount for the temp. registration.When district of dealership & district in which the car is to be registered is same a temporary regn is not rqd.Multiple dealership should not be a problem with AUSTIN as they have been owning multiple dealership even before getting the the FIAT dealership.And you should not be worried to have the car registered permanently under one month.
    Even you can do it of your own(from the concerned RTO) when the car has got temp. regn.The question is why they are insisting on temp regn.(which is not rqd. in your case).
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 2, 2015 ---
    Just talked with the manager of the local MS dealer.He told that to have the authority to get the car registered permanently at RTO(of the same district)needs some govt. nods.A dealer has to submit-----
    1) the drawing/detail of the dealership
    2)details of a workshop
    & other papers/NOCs to the concerned govt. dept. to have the authority.I think all these things have not been done yet & they have not got the rqd. certificate/NOC yet from the WB govt..And that's why a temp. regn is needed.

Experts,please correct me if I am wrong.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 2, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 2, 2015 ---
    Anyway,you don't have any major downside other than the extra amount(should be 3500-4500).But better(if you want to be on the safe side) you shouldn't travel to other districts until the car is registered permanently.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    prabhjot, Nirav and asimpleson like this.
  4. Nirav

Nirav Timido

Kolkata, West Bengal
    Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks Sandipan. I have eventually decided to take delivery on Monday with the temporary registration. As you mentioned, some paperwork is pending on the dealer's part to get the requisite nod from the RTO. My only gripe is that they bothered to tell me about this when I insisted on registration and now I feel a little apprehensive about using the car freely before permanent registration is done.
    About the additional charges that you mentioned, they have not asked for any additional charges and neither do I intend to pay any additional charge as I have already paid the full amount of the car a week ago and it's not my concern or fault if they fail to register it even 1 week after the invoice is made. But just out of curiosity I would like to understand what happens in such scenarios.
    Thanks again guys. Really appreciate your efforts.
    Cheers
    sandipan_r15 and prabhjot like this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @sandipan_r15 Really useful post that! Thanks.

@Nirav Hope to hear more from you and your car here? Cheers
    sandipan_r15 likes this.
  6. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Nirav.Considering the reputation & legacy AUSTIN has,you should not worry.Do post your delivery experience & start your ownership thread.
    Nirav likes this.
  7. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There is a slight wrong informatiom given by me regarding regn& RTO in post No.3.
    Actually Temp. regn is rqd. whenever the address in which the permanent regn. will be done and the address of the selling dealer come under different RTO. District does not matter here.If selling dealer's address & buyer's address come under the same RTO then there is no need for a temp regn.
    asimpleson and prabhjot like this.
  8. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nirav, did you take delivery on yesterday?Please post your experience & pics.
  9. Nirav

Nirav Timido

Kolkata, West Bengal
    Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    No. I did not take delivery yesterday as I decided to take delivery after permanent registration is done. No point taking the delivery and then running after the dealer to get it registered. Till yesterday the dealer has said that he should be able to register in about a week's time but is not willing to commit on a date.

Its a bit embarrassing to make my folks understand that we cannot take delivery of a fully paid-for car due to the inability of the dealer to get it registered. And this after going through the effort of making them understand - "Why a Fiat?"

Last friday I spoke to Mr. Mangesh Kodalkar who in turn spoke to my dealer promptly. However, yesterday he messaged me to bear with the dealer and that the dealer has arranged for temporary registration.

So right now its uncertain when I will get the delivery of my car with permanent registration. :banghead: I have already paid the full amount in advance.

In essence this has been my dealer experience. I hope mine is a one off case as this does not augur too well for brand Fiat. And trust me I have put my money where my mouth is and want Fiat to do very well in India. But the question remains- do they actually want to do well themselves?
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Nirav

I undertand. But I guess this is because they're a brand new dealership, hence the RTO equations and protocols aren't fully there yet?

Austin has a good almost venerable reputation, it seems, being such an established one since decades, i gather?

Let's hope they live up to that over the course of your ownership, and for the sake of Fiat in the Kolkata and environs market, where, unlike Delhi, Bangalore Chennai and Pune, they've been slow to establish (good enough) new dealerships and FASS.

cheers, keep us updated