1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rusting where mounting rest

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by varin11, May 1, 2015.

1. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I got a shock of my life when I opened the cowl area of the car to clean ..... and my worst nightmare..... the area where the mounting rest is rusted in fact badly rusted with holes where the mounting bowl meets the body with holes.

kindly suggest remedy guys ...

The blue colour glue like glue like liquid is rust convertor.

IMG_20150501_123922.jpg

IMG_20150501_123931.jpg
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Pictures are not very clear. They do not look like holes. Looks like the areas not welded properly? No sign of rust color too. Please post the picture from another angle for better view.
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    The marking are holes.I have filled it up with rust convertor (blue colour gel) to remove rust.

IMG_20150501_123931.jpg
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Hmm ... got it. It is serious enough to need repair. Common procedure is to remove the affected part (cut it out), weld healthy steel plates there and paint it to prevent rusting again. Sooner you do it better because as we know rusting is an electrochemical process which will continue to eat the metal until you eradicate the rust completely.
    asimpleson and prabhjot like this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @varin11, Torrid Fiat has a trained and knowledgeable gentleman, Mr. Sampat S. Ask him to have a look at it and take an estimation. If you can find it try priming it with industial grade, zinc-rich etch primer, which can stop the process immediately. Ofcourse that is temporary fix. You could do it also after thorough scrubbing and fresh re-weld of the affected portions.

Mumbai climate is exceptionally harsh, and even the salt and humidity alone are strong enough to corrode at the weakest point inspite of treatments with etch-primer materials.
    varin11 likes this.
  6. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hello all..It is rather shocking to witness rusting issue as it is highly dangerous thing which can harm the body to such extent & can make the body weaker in turn. Well I have become one of the victim for the same cause now. Hardly a few months before I diagnosed her with the FASS for same issue but today I happened to visit them again for the same reason as I witnessed few rusted things on both interior & exterior parts!! This time the places affected are more than in number than the last time. I am totally disappointed with FCA for the quality they have given. :(

I am totally confused for the fact that how can a new car which is hardly a year old can get affected by rust so early? Secondly, the paint quality used by FCA ("Glasurit" as I heard somewhere) is of high quality paint, then how can it be so pathetic in quality if presumed that the same thing is used by FCA? Can anyone please clear my doubts on the same...I am planning to drop a mail to FCA for the issue I have faced in. I am bit worried as the issue might creep in else where also where it may not be visible from outside. My only concern is "What about the other parts which are not visible to us from outside is affected by same reason?" As the approval mail from FCA says only the affected areas are covered by them & not anything else!!

Anyways before me proceeding further I need a assistance from fellow Fiatians in knowing what could be the exact cause of issue here?? :banghead:
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @kishorekrs
    It very well could be quality control issue. Kindly post pictures.

Be rest assured severe rusting take ages if due care is taken in the interim. Normally e-coating and galvanised steel are needed to get a rust free experience. Not sure if Fiat uses the same. But sheet metal otherwise is strong.

Pertaining to your issue FCA will honour total warranty. Even change panels if incase there are issues. Meanwhile kindly take the car to FASS and ask the body shop manager to ascertain the extent of rusting. Email to Mr. Mangesh Kodalkar too to look into the issue. Were extremely minor see if touch up hides those portions. Also recommended rust proofing extensively, more other portions than the underbody which is generally better protected.
    kishorekrs likes this.
  8. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Had been to FASS today & dropped the car for the same issue. The SA said me they will do the needful accordingly. What I couldn't do in the meantime is to take picture of the same as I was rushing to office. Later I called up the SA and said to share the pictures which was taken by him over the cam. I have categorically said him to share the pics as I am going to draft a mail to FCA regarding the same!! Nevertheless, the reason for me posting over here is to know what sort of work is carried over by the FASS in eradicating the issue. As to certain level the SA was not sure about the body work to be carried out. He said they will repaint and give but my question is will repainting alone will solve the issue completely?
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    That's a good question; the repaint will involve sanding, epoxy filler, and primer paint over it. It will totally depend on the amount of rust that is involved.

If rusting is high cutting and welding fresh metal or in worst case full panel change can be done but generally work involved is limited to repairs.

Post warranty although they might or might not give discounts since one has to pay from pocket. However Fiat is better at giving discounts post warranty for repeat issues like rust for example.

If your car has superficial rusting or oxidation problem, better to report and postpone towards end of warranty if it's liveable cosmetically too. However minor touchups, sanding filling and paint on internal sides is a must and all rusting needs arresting in time.
    kishorekrs likes this.
  10. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks a lot for your valuable information. Let me check with the SA for what procedure they are resorting to but as far as rusting is concerned it is still in its early stage. No metal breaking procedure is required as of now. Though the rusting formation is still on its early stage what rather made me get scared is the number of places where it has affected totally. Well then let me wait for the response what I will get. Post that definitely I will report it back in TFI here.