1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rusting observed on engine parts during PDI- Suggestions required

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by anishkumarpp, Oct 10, 2014.

1. anishkumarpp

anishkumarpp Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi All,

A week back, I had booked a Grante Punto 1.3 multijet Dynamic(the older model manufactured in Feb 2014). While doing the PDI(Pre Delivery Inspection) yesterday (09 Oct 2014), I observed that few components in the engine compartment have already rusted.I have attached the figure of the rusted parts along with this. The dealer had kept the car in an open yard and the car wasn't clean as well.

In addition to this, I spotted a few scratches on the bumper and near the fuel lid. I am not that worried about the scratches, but I am really worried about the rusting.

When I checked with the dealer about these things, he agreed to replace the rusted parts with new ones and also remove the scratches.

We will be going for another PDI tomorrow (11 Oct 2014). If I am satisfied with tomorrow's PDI, I am planning to go ahead with the booking and registration because they are giving me a good discount. Please provide your valuable observations and suggestions in this regard.

Thanks.

Photo11.jpg

Photo44.jpg

Photo22.jpg

Photo33.jpg
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good that you did PDI and found out these issues. And you are right, Feb car can have few scratches etc. Nothing to worry there.
    Make sure you are satisfied with all aspects after parts replacements. Also have a look at http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/pre-delivery-inspection-checklist.12759/ (if not seen yet).
    Which dealer is it and what is ODO reading? I hope 'H' symbol is present.
    anishkumarpp likes this.
  3. anishkumarpp

anishkumarpp Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Ravi
    Thank you for the reply and the checklist. I checked the ODO reading it was 13. I dont remember on the H symbol. That I will check tomorrow.
  4. prashant mohan

prashant mohan Timido

India
    Guys can we demand more discounts for this car? If yes let me know the %.
    anishkumarpp likes this.
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ^^ Surely you can use this to strike a better deal. Well, quantum / % of discount depends on bargaining skills. In which ever case, make sure you are 100% satisfied with the car condition before buying and the dealer has to fix the areas where you are not happy about.
    anishkumarpp likes this.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Congratulations on selecting the Punto :)

Regarding rusting, the exhaust manifold is a cast iron item which will show surface rust in every Multijet Punto/Linea. Not a cause for worry. Regarding the rust around Injector I have not come across this and bring it to the dealer's notice.

Cheers
    anishkumarpp likes this.
  7. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Good job done on the PDI. Since its a Feb manufactured car and a old model, you should be able to get some nice discounts.
    anishkumarpp likes this.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    To be on safer side ask the dealer to provide 3M underbody anti rust coating in the form of discount. Ensure that the PDI is done thoroughly and all the documentation related to the car is available. Ask for the factory PDI document since the car has been out in the open for quite long.
    anishkumarpp likes this.
  9. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    +1, as them to put the car in the ramp and check for yourself the under body of the car as it is more than 6 months that it is in their yard
    anishkumarpp likes this.
  10. anishkumarpp

anishkumarpp Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Friends,

Thank you for all your valuable suggestions.

I had the second PDI today. This time they had cleaned the car nicely and no scratches were visible. However, the rusted parts were not replaced as promised. Fortunately, they had another colour available for the same model(Silver) which was manufactured in the same month(Feb 2014) and was in a much better condition. Finally, I had to change my colour preference and finalized the Silver colour.

The technician at the yard informed that they can replace the part(Fuel injector sensor/washer) in the Tuscan wine car (the one we had booked initially) but I prefer to take the vehicle in the factory assembled condition itself and hence decided to go ahead with the Silver one. He also mentioned that the exhaust manifold rusting was common as it's made of cast iron so we need not be worried about that.

I have attached the pics where the difference between both cars can be easily noted. The ODO reading was "H 34" in the Silver one. As an additional discount, the dealer has agreed for an underbody anti-rust coating.

So finally all my concerns have been taken care of and I am happy with my new car.

C2.jpg

C1.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    PaddleShifter, Ravi and punto_emotion like this.