1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rusted Discs - Pls advise

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by parry, Aug 29, 2012.

1. parry

parry

Bangalore
    Dear All,

I did PDI of my car today. Everything else was fine except the disc brakes.

Both the front discs are rusted. Dealer has promised to clean them before delivery. However, I’m confused whether I should go ahead with this or ask for a new car.

I have attached the pic for your reference. Pls advise. IMG-20120829-00312.jpg
  2. Congrats for your new car! It is normal and should not break your deal.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Congratulations.

Don't worry about the rust. It's a part and parcel of having unpainted rotors and normal in our cars and many, many others. The dealer may clean them, but rust will reappear soon.

Cheers.
  4. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Welcome to TFI parry!

Rust on brakes is superficial, mostly caused when the car is stationary for long. Our Jet's discs too got rusted when it was parked for a month, the rust was gone when the car was driven again. So don't worry, there's nothing wrong with the brakes.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Can the TASS people clean the disc before handling? The rust will definitely disappear after use but I fear whether it spoil the uniformity of the pads which can later cause problem like non uniform heating of pad surface. I advice if there is provision of cleaning the disc get it done before delivery.
  6. Fiat1100

Fiat1100 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Congrats and welcome to TFI... I too have the same stuff. what I could notice is when I apply the brake slowly downhill I can hear some noise, is is due to rust of something else.
  7. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Parry please have a check on the discs if they have some circular cuts on them,like how it occurs when disc gets old.
  8. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Parry dont worry about the rust, they are superficial, a proper wash or even a few kms of running will make the rust disappear by itself.

By the way why have you not posted the pic of the car.
  9. parry

parry

Bangalore
    Apologies..here you go.

IMG-20120829-00316.jpg IMG-20120829-00317.jpg
    4 people like this.
  10. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Congratulations Parry.... for the new car..... :)