1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Running engine without air filter

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by bhai, May 17, 2012.

1. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Air filter protects engine from dust particles.

In India there are 3 seasons. Summer,rain & winter.

In summer & winter we experience dust on all types of road.

Dust is on express-way,national highway,state highway,city,town
    & in rural area also.

But in rainyseason this dust converts into mud.

So is can we run car without airfilter in rainyseason days?

More free flow intake air. More free flow intake air means better signal from MAF sensor.

So that better signal to ECU for better throttle response & milege also?
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Theoritically and visually what you say is correct but dust is an integral part of air.
    If the dust is only a few microns thick then there is no way you see it ,right?
    So definitely there will be dust even during rainy seasons and the ill effects of dust in the engine you already know.
  3. drifter

drifter Regolare

In racing in various classes are no air filters being used. In an controlled environment this a low risk situation.

When I went last year for pit support to a classic race weekend, one of the John Surtees 5 liter F1 cars was practising for the race. The engine was just rebuilt. The car was running without air filter. Out of the 30 or so cars in this class ours was the one who picked up a pebble, which did damage to one cylinder.

I have driven for testing many miles without filter, but would not recommend it for prolonged periods of time as one never knows how much of a dust cloud might come up all of a sudden. Even the slightest protection in terms of an air filter will hold back enough to keep the engine safely running.

Whenever you can give it a miss.
  4. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Look at the way our logics march forward ,its seems TFi members are so scared of dust that everything esle is superflous.
    what about flies,mosquitoes,frogs,birds,droppings ,leaves,fruits,paint chips ,water splash and other numerous undesirable and unpredictable things .
    dust contributes only very small percentage from bigger share of troubles.

One thing I would like to ask experts, what minimum Size or percentage of forign particles could be seriously detrimental to an IC engine ,any proven values ?
    1 person likes this.
  5. singh

singh Amatore

Never try to run without Filter , dust can ruin engine in matter of seconds , irreparable loss . It needs 10 thousand litres of air to burn 1 litre of fuel .
    Some Experiments are also there , running without air filter but instead on compressed oxygen supply , resulting in better combustion .
    Google it
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    But in turbo-charged engine, inlet manifold contains little bit engine oil. In inlet manifold we found oil & carbon also_Oily carbon which is found in inlet manifold contains oil,oil particles even micron sized metal particles also.Then do you mean that deposits in inlet manifold are harmless for engine ?
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

I am thinking of removing filter as i am unable to cross 180 km/hr on one isolated stretch of 1 km with at least 50 trials as on date. Tragedy is there is a sharp turn ahead, so can't keep throttling over, have to pull over. After the turn, there is dead end, so its the height of frustration getting over:A.
    Anxiously waiting for monsoon to start, just like frogs trrrr trrrr.
    Will remove the filter & then check it if it will touch 190 with free flow with in that 1 km & place it again where it belongs to.
    No more adventures, that what should be the purpose of removing air filter IMO;), very limited.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

That's a good hand on encyclopedia shared by you.
    Thanks Bhai:dancing
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    @ENKI- Why don't you seriously think about the remap instead of these kind of experiments?

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
  9. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Linea 1.3
    @Bhai : Are you serious about this project.
    I don't think it is advisable for it can seriously damage your engine compartment and the rings.
    For better response and mileage from your car, there are other ways of doing it like tuning box or remap.
    Moreover, in both the cases it is reversible, in case you need to do it.
  10. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys, I was wondering how the new generation air filters are always better than old generation metallic mesh filters? Here in this thread, one thing is evident that new kind filters can protect engine from impurities in air and foreign particles much effectively.

However what are the other advantages regarding air flow, fresh air intake etc etc, where new filters have an edge over old metallic mesh kind filters?

My padmini 137D car has an old metallic air filter, and I'm eager to see if performance improvement is possible if I upgrade to new generation filters.