1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Run-in period for FIAT engines

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by pammuluvcars, Nov 30, 2010.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The engine as you know has many intricate working parts, some work in tight tolerances, the pistons, cams bearings etc. The run in means that these components should not be overstressed for the first few hundred kms, perhaps for 1st sometimes till second service and oil changes. The whole idea is that the wear and tear damage in the initial stages should be minimized. Once everything "settles" after few hundred or thousand kms the engine could be pushed a bit harder. Initially best to not over-speed it and use proper gears always further reducing undue engine stress.
  2. Manju

Manju Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for the info...... any cutoff numbers? Need more info as this is my first new car......
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I would urge everyone to use the search function before creating new threads. We have discussed this aspect in fair detail on TFI. Please do search.

Cheers.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hope manju you will follow as mentioned in that thread.if not you will be fined with heavy service charges. :D
  5. Manju

Manju Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am still unable to find what i am looking for.:(
  6. VIJENDRA SINGH

VIJENDRA SINGH Amatore

DIBIYAPUR
    Linea T-Jet
    For a diesel engine, restrict the RPMs to about 2,200 for the first 1,000 km. After that, you can increase the limit to 2,500 - 2,800 RPMs until 1,500 km. Then, gradually increase it to the maximum by 2,500 km. Source- team-bhp.com
    Manju likes this.
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Threads merged.
  8. vivekrj.dieselhead

vivekrj.dieselhead Regolare

delhi
    I would simply advice you not to keep rpm steady.

Keep driving your car with ups and downs in rpm.

Also don't increase or decrease rpm with too much caution,

Or gradually, let them play in max range of 2500 till 1000km.

Drive her with ups and downs(rpm) suddenly, keep this in mind and have fun.
  9. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Query regarding New Linea 2014 [facelift model] TJet-Emotion:
    Linea's manual suggests to press the clutch while starting the car. I checked with one of the service personnel and he wasn't aware of this requirement. He said they generally do this in workshop as sometimes car is in a gear which they forget to check before starting. and so it has chances of hitting the car ahead. I keep the car in neutral gear, press the clutch and then go for the igniton. Please suggest if pressing clutch is required for the reason suggested by the sales person or there's some other reason also which I am not aware of. It would be good to know. Thanks!
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    When you press the clutch it disengages the gears, essentially making the car neutral. So either the car is neutral and then you give ignition or press clutch and give ignition. An even better practice over the years is using clutch and brake together and applying ignition. However the ideal practice could be using neutral gear, brake/hand-brake and giving ignition.
    Saket Sidana likes this.