1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Run-in period for FIAT engines

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by pammuluvcars, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Now in these new engines with newer technologies the run-in period is not necessary,but still some maintain it thinking the engine needs to bed in those run-in period,so as to get the max performance out of the engine...

I am one of those who believe in this,even my car has done 2360 kms since I took delivery,i was on a 2300 kms highway drive and did try to limit myself to the max 2k rpm(80 kmph),with a few bursts above 2.5k rpm but less than 3k rpm..Its very hard to do that but I think its worth the patience...
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Running-in a new engine is one topic on which everyone will have their views. And it's natural.

But one universal advice which i followed and usually suggest to others is - Do not lug the engine nor redline it. Apart from that drive normally. And do not stick to one rpm range for long periods. Keep varying. That's all.

I, for one, do not agree with what the SA told you.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Yeah i know how it feels as well.. I mean when i took my car .. Damn thing the dealership itself is on a highway (can you beat that?).
    I managed to keep my car under 2500rpm till i reached 3000kms .. And my god was it a struggle.. i could not believe that santros and nanos were driving faster than i did..
    But the beauty of highways through the then tinted glass was something worth driving slowly for...
  4. On my drive from kolkata to bangalore everything moved faster than me,the same route even if I drove at less speeds I would have covered it in 34-35 hrs...But this time it took almost 51 hrs(with some city driving in between).But I found a good solution to this,I let my wife drive stating that she needs to learn driving on Punto(as she learned driving in swift) and its better on highways.And in between I used to take short naps:lol:clap
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  5. amargawade90

amargawade90 Superiore

Guys , Can Any One Tell Me Whats will be the Run-In period(Months/kms etc) For Punto 1.4 ??
  6. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    When I took delivery of my car (@ 2 months back), the SA told me that "no drive in needed sir, straight away you can rip" But, this is the method I followed - Till 1500 kms, I drove my Punto MJD sedately. Never exceeded 90 kmph, Tried to be within 2000-2200 rpm band, varied RPMs while on a long drive. But after 1500 kms, boy! Could not hold back any more! After all who can hold back while driving a Fiat and that too on a highway! :evilsmile
    1 person likes this.
  7. uday_mj

My two ounces of Automotive knowledge:

As I know and understand it, new engines are pre-run-in at the factory much before they come close to an engine bay. However, old school ways were as under:
    1. Change the engine oil after the first 50 kms. I personally drain it, filter it and put it back.
    2. Try not to run the engine at high rev's.
    3. Keep the change in the rev's, both up and down as smooth as possible. No quick accelerations and abrupt shifts.
    4. Never drive at the same engine rpm for long, like go for 5 kms at 80km/h. Try to weary the speed and gears.
    5. Try to use mineral oil for the first 1,000 kms.

I used to do this for my Yamaha, when it was new and after each engine modification.

Hope that it helps.

8. vamsi

vamsi Novizio

I am 2000 on ODO. I took the delivery in Bangalore and drove straight 270km to my home town right from there... managed around 2000rpm all the while. I couldnt resist while retuning back on 4 lane butter smooth tarmac... what can I do.. kept myself limited to 100kmph.. now aftrr 1200km or so, managing 100kmph but touched 145kmph 2 times.. :) :).. fiat and highways are the best combo.
    But I cross 2k rpm mark only in 5th gear.

Anyways... keeping 2000 rpm for atleast 3000km is a good choice.. nevr rev hard.. have the gear shifts exactly in time.. that keeps the engine happy...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  9. XLR8er

XLR8er Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    My Run in period

Its been four months since I got my Punto Sport MJD 90hp. :D

I am No expert. I hope this helps.

As compared to 90hp, 75hp is better in city. The turbo spools early compared to 90hp.

Here are some things I followed in My Run-In-Period.

I will go gear wise.

1st gear - a short gear really, Go to around 2000 RPM in 1st gear and you can shift to second easily. don't press the clutch to slowly or you will fill some sluggishness from the engine and don't do it fast either. Just the right amount of quickness.

2nd gear- after the above step the 2nd gear starts with healthy RPM's (If you are around 15 to 20-ish kmph speed 2nd gear works just fine, just release the clutch and it will take off). no need for the downshift(Well the incline angles do matter, keep that in check)

3rd gear- The best gear IMO. and from this gear I think you can manage.

Practiced followed by me in Run-In:

My Pun has done 3200kms now.

0-1000 KMS. I never gone above 2k RPM, well If I had then rarely.

1000-2000KMS- gone till 3k RPMs not above though. engine feels happy.

2000-3000 KMS - Just drove normally without thinking too much about RPM's. I am not saying redlined. Engine got smoother in time.

Hope this helps. It can be confusing though. new people will understand their car in-Time. Wish you all happy miles crunching

(Try To Have own style of driving and whatever new drivers to the FIAT cars are comfortable with. Every drivers style is unique. Enjoy the car folks)

Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. Manju

Manju Timido

Grande Punto 1.3

I have query on run in speeds of new cars. For some kms we should not exeed some speed limit. I heard various number from different sources. Speed limits range from 60 to 100 kms. Some say this speed limits should be maintained for 1000 kms. Some say 2000 kms. Could someone please throw some light on this.

Also does this help in any way? If so how?