1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Run-in period for FIAT engines

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by pammuluvcars, Nov 30, 2010.

1. I too have a 2012 Punto, on the third day I was travelling to a nearby town and the road was very good & almost deserted... thought I was cruising around 70 or 80, but when I saw the speedo it was hovering near 130 ::OO So look at the speedo occasionally to keep tab on it cos you won't feel any difference...
  2. ops

ops Amatore

Kathmandu
    Nepal
    Punto Abarth
    Engine RPM is more important than speed alone. If you do 90 km/hr in gear three engine rpm is near 4000 (linea). No lug no redline is the rule. Gear has to be selected accordingly.
  3. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ya forgot to mention about RPM...tx gurjinder........try to be below 2500 rpm.... for atleast first 1000k
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  4. sunilmh

sunilmh Amatore

KA-02
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    New car run-in period

Hi,

Is there any run-in period for a new Punto (Multijet)?
    I heard few saying since it is a new engine, it is better to drive within some speed limit(80-100).

I got my car on 10-Aug-2012 and so far it has gone up to 1500KM.

Thanks,
    Sunil
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mods Note - Threads Merged.
    Please search before creating new thread.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    1500 km's is a lot and your engine will probably be run in by now. Just drive normally and do show it some revs occasionally.

Contrary to most people's thinking i was driving the Linea at 3500rpm's in short burts when it was run only 300-400km. :up

Cheers.
  7. sunilmh

sunilmh Amatore

KA-02
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks gurjinder

I have couple questions,
    1. Last week my friend took this car at a top speed of 140-160 (it was completed 1400km's before that run)
    Does this speeding would have any impact on engine performance ?
    2. 2nd gear is very sluggish (with AC still poor) is this normal with the new engine :confused:
  8. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As Gurjinder pointed out, your car has already run @ 1500 kms! So top speed shouldnt be an issue.

Agree that 2nd gear is slightly Sluggish, but I dont notice any drop in pick up with AC on! Thats the beauty of MJD, there is no difference in performance with AC. Am I the only one to feel so? Experts can correct me!
  9. sunilmh

sunilmh Amatore

KA-02
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks punto_emotion :)

Yes I have observed difference of 2nd gear pickup in old Punto MJD (2 year old) and my new car. The old one responds quicker than the new one (with AC also).
    My assumption is it's due to new engine run-in period. After first service(5000km's) this might get better.

Experts can help me out to correct my understanding.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  10. 4mylinea

4mylinea

Initial 2000kms under 2000rpm...whats the logic?????

Hi Friends,

Since my Queen(Linea MJD) is still new I am continuing the advice given by my SA to drive initial 2k kms below 2000 rpm and max 80kmph...he said this will help improve my fuel efficiency in the long run; no matter how i will drive my car later.
    I wanted to clarify with all you experts what exactly he meant by that and how will this help, also have you all done any such thing?
    I also believe this should be included in our PDI guide so that all who buy our FIAT also know how to unleash its ultimate potential..

Thanks...