1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Run-in period for FIAT engines

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by pammuluvcars, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Why would anyone take risk of having engine issue later, which only favors the service center folks? This moot point, but my personal experience Punto is car needed 15 K kms to finish it's break in period, before 15 K period there used to booming noise from the engine and car used to sluggish/low FE but after 15 k kms booming noise decreased and to total elimination by 26K kms. now close to 30 on ode car's engine free revving and FE is consistent.

for fist 15 K kms i used to loose engine oil by about 150 ml every 3-5K kms not engine oil level doesn't decrease.

Read the below articles

ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car - Team-BHP

New Car Care – How to Take Care of a New Car - Popular Mechanics

How should you 'break-in' a new car
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It's not the castings. It's the bore and hone process which has progressed to an astounding level of accuracy nowadays. Think of 1/1000th of an mm and even smaller . :)

And, if , for a second we assume that the engine does not require a running in period, the transmission does. So do the brakes etc.

Cheers.
  3. rana

rana Novizio

Mumbai
    I had asked the Fiat guys and they too reiterated that there is no proper running in required as in two wheelers.... however, the important part is to be gradual in everything you do .. be it braking or accelerating....
  4. Running in period for my new Punto 2012?

Hi Guys,

I am a proud owner of a week old Punto Active 1.3MJD, must say amazing car. I have a question, can anyone tell me what is the running in period for my diesel car?
    As I have been informed by the Sales guys that there is no running in needed for Diesel car, but I have read in many forums having different views of the same.

Awaiting your opinion on this.

Thanks!!
    -Navneeth
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    Welcome aboard and hearty congratulations.

As such there is no running in period. Drive normally ; just don't abuse it yet. Don't show it the redline and neither lug it. Idle for atleast a minute after a cold start and before shutting down the engine.

That's all.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    Navneeth welcome to the forum.

The master (Gurjinder) has already answered your query.
    Just no sudden rash driving, sudden speed or sudden braking. Pick up speed in a gradual way and drive sedately.
    Best if you can follow this till your 1st service.

There are varied opinion on this issue, but it is your car and you should take care of her.
    Moreover this initial handling is said to have its effect on the life and performance of the car in the future.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    For the first 200kms avoid harsh and sudden braking. In a down slope use gear to assist braking, I mean choose lower gears. If little care is taken for brakes initially it will help you in later(Just look at my signature that explain the same thing:D)
    Good luck.
  8. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There is no running in period as such...IMO .for first 500Km just drive in the range of 70K, after that for first 1000Km just keep the speed till 90K... occasionally going higher......
    just dont do rash driving.....
    1 person likes this.
  9. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    I had the same doubt for my Mearch 2012 Punto..

I did 80-100 for first 1000 kms

100-120 till 2000 kms

after this...engine response was remarkably diff & better...

Yes...no sudden rush..please initially
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    Guys, more than the speed, it's the rpm at which you drive which matters. The entire concept of driving it at X kmph is wrong. Observe the rpm's.

You can do 80kmph at 3500 rpm's, and 80kmph at 2500rpm's as well.

Drive at those rpm's where the engine does not feel stressed. By NOT revving it to the max or by NOT lugging it at ultra low rpm's.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    5 people like this.