1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Run-in period for FIAT engines

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by pammuluvcars, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  2. arunbaboo

arunbaboo

Bengaluru
    Speed limit during run-in period for new cars

Guys what the speed limit should be maintain for the new GP 90hp and for how many kilometers,ours GP 90hp is 15 days old
  3. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Do not cross 80kmph or 3000rpm for the first 2000kms.Occasionally u can do 100kmph for a second or two.
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    ^^ Aaron - the 90HP does 80 at 2000 RPM. Think you're talking about the Petrol version here?
  5. Drive at 80kmph does not mean that we should do 80 in second or third gear, right?</SPAN>

During sedate run-in period, we should mind driving around the peak torque RPM range. Gurus, correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  6. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @teky

Buddy i've mentioned 80kmph "OR" 3000rpm.Ya keeping in mind about the general breakin tip throughout the world followed by everyone.Same applies for 2wheelers which is 60kmph or 3000rpm.Speed actually doesnt make sense here.RPM does!!
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Short of abusing the engine, drive it normally. Do not baby it, nor redline it. The engine will open up gradually and you will be able to feel it. Higher revs at times is not an issue, sustained hi rev operation is surely not recommended. Atleast till 1500-2000km's.

Follow good practices of idling the engine after starting and before shutting off. To me, that is much more important than any speed/ rpm limit. You may want to refer to my posts in this thread.

For the record, our Linea , when it had only 500km or so on the clock, was seeing 3500rpm's at times, but in short bursts. But, I religiously idle the engine as i described in the above thread. Like a fanatic. :p

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  8. vvk007

vvk007 Amatore

Shimoga
    To be precise, the modern generation engines doesn't require any running-in period. you can start redlining it right from the first day, but make sure that you are doing it linearly. Linear acceleration (slowly gaining speeds) do not harm the engine in any sense, infact your engine gets more freed up.
    But definitely a strict BIG NO to Exponential acceleration (brutally gaining speeds at a very short time).

Running-in period was followed religiously in the older-gen engines, now it has become a tradition. Older-gen engines had the problem of metal filings being peeled from the sidewalls of the engine, because of which running-in had to be followed. Nowadays, The castings of the engines are so much precisely done that the metal filings doesn't peel off from sidewalls of the engine even if it's roughly used, that too in case of FIAT u need not have to worry at all. :p

I had a talk with Mangesh Kodalkar,Customer Services, Fiat India Automobiles Ltd regarding this topic. He himself told me not to follow break-in for Fiat engines. Moreover it's nowhere written in the Owner's Manual regarding the break-in period. It's just a MYTH followed by us. :cool:
  9. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    @ vvk - but vista which uses a multiget recommends run-in for the first 1000 kms and specifies speed on specific gears as well!! both are same technology isnt it?
  10. vvk007

vvk007 Amatore

Shimoga
    I am not talking only about Fiat, all the modern generation engines doesn't require running-in period. Take VW, Skoda, Ford... all these stables do not mention nor tell us to obey break-in period. Here Tata is playing a safe game by telling to follow running-in. However do not compare Tata with Fiat even if the engines are produced in same plant, the whole set of tuning differs as well as the engine oil used which plays a very important role.