1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Run-in period for FIAT engines

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by pammuluvcars, Nov 30, 2010.

1. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Re: Fiat Punto 90 HP Running IN??

It's very important to vary your engine rpm during the run in period. Take the more congested city route over a highway if you have a choice. Also, remember that it's not just the engine that needs running in. Gear box and tyres need it too.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Re: Fiat Punto 90 HP Running IN??

That mototune.usa style of running in was done by my cousin on his Honda City iVTEC.

He bought the car new from Gujarat. And from Gujarat to Patiala it was hi speeds all the way. Touched 160+
    And yes the car still rocks. Its mechanically fine.Drives well and 18-19 kmpl on hiway runs( acc to the car's MID )

I'd suggest a mix of both. Dont go all out on the new engine. But dont baby it too or else the engine will get used to being driven like a baby.

Gurjinder.
  3. tjet

tjet Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    Run-in Period for Tjet

Hi TFIans,

My Tjet has run 1400+ km now and I am really fed up of driving in city!

Gotta long drive!!!!!!!!!! Do I really need to wait till it completes 2500 KM run? However, I have driven on highways but for lesser distances just to taste the fun:)

Please advice.

Thank you

Fly Tjet :)

Mods Note - Threads Merged.
    Please search before creating any new thread.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    There's no run in period as such.

Just do not lug the engine, redline it, or stomp your foot on the accelerator.

Apart from that , do show your engine some high revs, but gradually. Remember, being gradual is the key.

There is no magical figure after which we can consider the car as being run in. Drive normally, avoiding what i mentioned earlier.

Cheers.
  5. tjet

tjet Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    Got it Paaaji :) Thank you...

Planning for this weekend!

Fly tjet :)
  6. You can go on Highways an cruise at 100~120 easily. Once you've reached around 2.5k kms open up the engine a bit. Do some short bursts of run and 1/4 miles. Pin the engine at times. Don't worry, nothing is going to blow up in it. And in case if it does there is a manufacturing defect not your driving. The result would be that the turbo of you T-Jet would open up and would spool better. The turbo whine will be distinctly audible and intoxicating :D.
  7. My Car was bought from Mangalore to Hassan by the dealer driver. He had covered 180 KMs in 2 hours. I know he had redlined the car most of the time. So my first 180 kms are hard revved. After that i set the speed limit to 80 kms, but got bored of it after driving for 1000 kms. Had redlined quite a few times between 1k t0 3k.Engine seems to be bullet proof
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    run in is not just for the engine. its for almost all moving parts, be it wheel bearings or brakes everything. its always good to allow the components to bead in.
  9. During the run-in period you need to give the car things that would normally be done. For the components to set in and perform well you need to show them the other end as well at times. That makes the ECU also learn your driving style.
    My suggestion would be that after about 2k kms take the car for short bursts as that'll help the engine to open up, parts to settle down and have some fun as well :D.
  10. ashtek

ashtek Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Punto 1.3 MJD - Initial running guidelines

I brought home the new Punto 1.3 minimal grey last friday:p
    Fiat guys say that I should not exceed 2k rpm and 80kmph till the first service.
    However I do not see this anywhere in the manual.

I find it a bit difficult to drive this way esp when I change from 1st gear to 2nd gear before crossing 2k rpm. The pick up is really slow if I shift to 2nd gear at 2k rpm. From 2nd to 3rd and beyond is fine without crossing 2k rpm.

I have seen different opinions from different people on this - some say that engine is pre-run and we need not follow, some say otherwise.

Can someone explain if this is really needed, does it have any harm on engine if not followed, etc...