1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Run-in period for FIAT engines

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by pammuluvcars, Nov 30, 2010.

1. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Re: Re: Run-in period for FIAT engines

You answered it in the first line of your post. The manuals are silent on this.
    The modern engines are pre- run and safe to rip through.
    Only reason you need to take it easy I feel is - a new car is a new born baby that has so many components talking to each other that needs to all fall in place. A safe run in period is more to do with this factor than run in for the engine itself.

I kept a tight leash on my revving for the initial 800odd km .. That's it!

I m currently on 41000+ km

You are right on the point3. on turbo engines do need idling.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    For Q No.1 & 2 :- 5000 KM is perfect Run-in period. In first 5000 KM avoid to cross 90 KM/Hr.
    Q.3 :- For starting there is no idle run required except cold start in morning. One you used the car in morning,no need to idle at each time of start in day.

For stopping :- In city min.15 to 30 Sec.idle & on highway cruise 1 to 1.5 Min.idle is necessary for life of Turbo
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mods Note - Threads Merged.
    Please search before creating any new thread.
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Fiat Punto 90 HP Running IN??

I have booked a new Fiat punto 90 HP. The car should be delivered in a week or so.
    I searched online and could not find any running in directions for fiat's MJD engine. I've even read that the owners manual does not mention a running-in period. Isnt it recommended that the engine oil be changed after the first 1k kms of running to remove metal shavings? Is this covered in the free first/second service? Ive also read that non synthetic oil is preferred during the running in. Im considering this. Meanwhile if fellow members could please share their MJD running-in experiences and advices..
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: Fiat Punto 90 HP Running IN??

Better to follow running-in for at least 2000Km. Congrats on booking the 90Hp power diesel. Do a thorough PDI and VIN number decoding. ::T

- Keep Rpm below 2500rpm and above 1500Rpm.
    - Avoid sudden acceleration, high speed (>80-90Kmph) and sudden braking (unless required of course).
    - Idle the engine 1 min before and 1 min after start and stopping the engine.
    - Use normal diesel only. Premium diesel is not required.
    - Use company recommended Selenia engine oil only.
    - No need to change engine oil at 1000Km. Oil change interval is 15000Km (second service). Changing the initial oil is strictly up to you.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Hey Paddle,

Thanks for the replies i suddenly rememberd something was checking for where i had read about the synthetic oil usage.

It was this link http://www.team-bhp.com/web/index.php?c ... ticleid=25

I just thought it would be best to get this confirmed from people who actually use fiat cars. :)

Any more inputs would be more useful as well.

Thanks
    Sreejesh
  7. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

Some things should be better left to the manufacturers to decide rather than mechanics. :)

I think what this guy wants to say holds for those cars that come with mineral oil (Marutis, Hyundais etc etc). Some people shift to synthetic oil after buying the car. This thread probably wants to convey a message to these guys that it is better to shift to synthetic oil after 10000 Km rather than taking a new car straight for oil change.

Use synthetic oil recommended by FIAT. ::T Don't worry.
    It will also help you keep your warranty intact.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

I was doing some research on google and found this article

https://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I am a bit confused now as i this is actually going against my concept and what i had researched till now.

Any inputs would be appretiated

Sreejesh
  9. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

@Sreejesh- There are many such posts at a lot of places. Its always better to follow running-in to be better on a safer side. Even the FIAT manual says that the new engine needs to run-in. See the below pic:

[attachment=0:3mxeztxe]Run-in.jpg[/attachment:3mxeztxe]

Run-in.jpg
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

hmmmm.. thanks

Will do it the FIAT way then :)