1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Run-in period for FIAT engines

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by pammuluvcars, Nov 30, 2010.

1. pammuluvcars

pammuluvcars Regolare

IN
    Run in period concerns.

My car crossed 100kms yesterday. I havent driven the car much and havent taken out for a race either :) I learnt that it is not advisable to go more than 100 kms/hr during run in period.I have set the speed limit warning at 90 kms now. I dont want to take chances. I have queries.

1. Can I go for long drives during run in period? The whole army is marching in and am supposed to take them for sight seeing. I am planning to go to Mysore which is around 170 kms from Bangalore. There will be going around in and around Mysore plus the return journey which means the total running will be around 400-450 kms. I have already told my brother, my brother-in-law and my sister that the car is in run in period and I have set speed limit @ 90 so no one is supposed to cross the limit :)

2. In Linea where/how do I check FE details? I am yet to get acclamated with the bounty of features available in this beautiful automobile.

3. I felt the clutch is too soft or it is adjusted to be that way? I have to release more than half way thru to get the vehicle moving.

4. The car is sluggish in 2nd and 3rd gears. 3rd gear is hopeless. Or rather I must say it is a lag or there is absolutely no throttle response on 2nd and 3rd gears. If I had to downshift to 3rd the momentum drops swiftly and the car starts to crawl. I had an embarrasing moment the other day. I was coming back home and it was night time. I had to stop at a hump and the engine died abruptly. There is hardly any tarmac on the surface and the road leading to my place which I took that night is rich in potholes. There was a huge hump (people from Bangalore know about humps in Bangalore. Bangalore is no more City of Gardens, it is city of humps and dogs) and I had to brake and downshift. There was this lady tailgating me and I could see her face very clear on my RVM. Her face showed frustration and then turned to sarcasm. I wanted to stop the car, get out and yell at her "I am no novice. I am better than you any day" She might have seen the Regd sticker on my car and made such a monkey face. In fact I learnt driving at the age of 17 and got my license @ 18 and now am 35. I always had this passion for 4 wheelers. My parents always had cars so ever since 17 am driving a car. What I found was even thought the car crawls on 3rd gear, the engine never knocks/shakes/throws. It will just move smooth and slow giving a feeling of an automatic car.

5. The other day I was coming back from Metro on Kanakpura road I had to negotiate an ugly deep pothole, I abruptly swung to the left and I heard a heavy click from somewhere down there in the left front wheel assembly. It was like "Kdakk"

6. I can feel the steering wheel turning under my left foot. I know it is normal, have felt the same in my parents' car also, but is it really normal? All Linea owners feel this?

7. Whats the ideal speed and max speed during run in period.

Guys please advice me on the above points.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: Run in period concerns.

I believe going to Mysore, and maintaining speed under 90 is perfectly ok for new cars.
    Regarding FE details, there are 2 trips are present (A & B). How to use it, I would suggest, please see the manual, it will not take more than 10 mins. to understand.
  3. pammuluvcars

pammuluvcars Regolare

IN

thank u ravi
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

I've to leave and will reply in detail at night but couldn't resist replying to a few things. Sorry for typing in CAPS. Its for easier readability of my answers.

5. pammuluvcars

pammuluvcars Regolare

IN

cool. thank u paddle
  6. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai

I don't give a lot ofr running in procedures.

I wait till the engine comes up to temeprature. RThen I drive it normally. After the first 50km I am starting to dirve it more progressive and after 100km I start to redline. None of the engines ever suffered any problems this way. Some of them have in excess of 1,00,000km and have no loss of compression.

The engines are pre run anyway. It is much more important to drive the car with a new engine for as long as possible. Rather than going for short runs, go for longer ones or if you can do the first 500km in one go.
  7. Re: Run in period concerns.

Pammu it's not about speed but engine rpm's . Keep engine rpm's below 2500 for first 1000kms as much as possible although not needed for mordern engines.
  8. gReyHound

gReyHound

Bangalore

Make sure you don't hit the red-line on the RPM, there should not be any problem on speeds of 80-100 or so unless you hit the red-line on the RPM.
    I traveled to Mysore the 2nd day i got the car and trust me i was almost 110 on the nice corridor :D. So do not worry much on the speed focus on the RPM :)
  9. pammuluvcars

pammuluvcars Regolare

IN

thank u drifter
    thank u atul
    thank u greyhound
  10. Friends, Linea/Punto manuals are silent on the initial run-in period.
    The Service Advisor too claims that new engines doesnt require run-in like old engines as modern engines doesnt require the same.

Does this make sense ?

My understanding from the other forums are
    • A 2,500 km running-in period is ideal. After this, you can high-rev her away to glory.
    • For a petrol engine do not allow the RPMs to go over 2,500 for the first 1,000 km. After that, you can increase the limit to 3,000 RPMs until 1,500 km and then gradually increase it to the maximum by 2,500 km.

Few questions for the experts to answer.
    1. What is the run in period for Linea/Punto Petrol & diesel engines ?
    2. What will be the run in period for turbo (petrol) engines ? will this be same as NA petrol engines ?
    3. Read somewhere that turbo engines requires 45-60 seconds of idling (in neutral gear before the first shift) before start and similarly before switching off the engine (idling in neutral gear without racing).

(Mods : couldn't find a similar topic in our forum, hence creating a new post. You may merge with an existing post if there is already a discussion on this topic)