1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rumor : Fiat brand to Exit from India report

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by gazgotta, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwifttoPunto

SwifttoPunto Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Krunal Bhatt Thanks for your effort. This should give some comfort.
    Krunal Bhatt likes this.
  2. Krunal Bhatt

Krunal Bhatt Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Ahmedabad
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @SwifttoPunto
    Yes, Message from Mr.Mangesh was very Positive and encouraging.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    "....new options" are now available to fca, he says. "...continue to make our EXISTING Fiat portfolio attractive" he says. Besides, he's hardly likely to let the cat out of the bag, is he?

This is not an even an issue in terms of aftersales and spares support, given the sheer number of small, independent fass centres they've opened and am sure will continue opening, many (all, by 2019?) non-dealer. Besides, for the biggest cities they could/will be the Jeep/FCA-combined-brand dealerships and ass centres. There is no comfort he or fca needs to give, no reassurance, to existing Fiat owners.

I do believe FCA will completely leave the mass market segments (i.e., no replacements for the Punto and the Linea) but might yet decide on a 10-16 lakhs segment cuv, twinned to the Jeep b-suv, as a place holder for the brand. Of course, if JEEP sales are good enough, esp of the smaller Renegade-like model (in 2018?) they may yet do the likeliest thing, which imo could be to stop locally manufactured FIATs altogether, in favour (if at all), of a ckd model and 1 or 2 cbu models (Abarth?)

Whatever they eventually do with the FIAT brand, they MUST do so openly, formally and in a confident, celebratory (big PR event, a ritual send-off, as it were) way, ESPECIALLY if (as i believe to be the case) the Fiat brand is withdrawn from all mass-market segments (at least) by 2018/19.
  4. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @prabhjot -- So what do you suggest? Should I drop the plans for buying another fiat vehicle?
  5. Krunal Bhatt

Krunal Bhatt Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Ahmedabad
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot
    Yes, He is referring to make EXISTING portfolio attractive.
    BUT dont you think it was declared in or prior to 2014. That, till 2018 FIAT will play around Punto(evo+Avventura) and Linea only.
    http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/fiat-india-future-plans.8575/
    So, I dont think we need to worry till 2019. Meanwhile JEEP's success will tell us if FCA ,not only FIAT , will stay in India or not.
    @rusticnomad if you are already inclined to a specific FIAT model then I dont think you will face any problem till 2019.
    amitshedha, rusticnomad and prabhjot like this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @rusticnomad you will need to decide how long you want to keep the vehicle. Urban Cross is on it's way, and had a chance encounter to see it in flesh. Let the specs and stiling come out. It should attract attention in certain colours and seats covers that are really eye catchy.
    Also when the car is stopped is when the time starts ticking for that model after which they are required by law to provide spares for a good number of years.

@prabhjot ckd wouldn't work. Skoda inspite of local manufacture hasn't had success. Clearly they are not able to keeps the pricing in check as well. Same goes for likes of Jetta or Passat. CKD will leave no chance to consider these products.
    Turbothinghy and prabhjot like this.
  7. Navneet

Navneet Amatore

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    When 1100 about to get old, media reported FIAT is dead. When UNO and Sienna was about to expire, same news that they going bankrupt. We got Palio, Petra and Adventure instead. Though 1.6,ABS and strong heavy body was not something which people understood , where they only learn was "kitna mileage dethi hai". When Palio Stile came, same speculations, FIAT is going to die. Linea and Punto and later stunning Avvy came. Again the story repeats after another decade. My finger cross, I know this guys are late comers, but they do come with some real stuff , always, indeed. Current portfolio is too strong but under marketed, so its not the FIAT cars to be blame for sure. And if they update this too, no problem, bring it on. Tipo, Guillia, 500X, Panda 4x4, Renegade, very small wish list of mine , to see on Indian roads :)
    rishike007, amitshedha and prabhjot like this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @rusticnomad

Why not, there is the indore fass (if not as a dealer, as an aftersales workshop), no?

But imo do wait to see whether and where in MP a combined Jeep-Fiat-FCA one's launched (sometime before the c-suv launch in mid/end 2017.)

@asimpleson

See as i see it, AT BEST: a strategic timeout for FIAT from the mass market is essential. That is why ckd or at best a well-localized Fiat b-suv twin of the Jeep b-suv (Renegade-like) becomes very viable, since (a) the bigger cities/markets will have Jeep/Fiat/FCA combined dealers and ass centres and (b) there will be for all other, current, places: third-party fass workshops a la RS Motors. ??.

Such a dealership+ass centre strategy, dependent on Jeep+thrid-party guys like RS motors or DRS gurgaon, is essential for sustainability AND quality at the same time. i.e., FIAT must bide its time for a few years yet, while this is well-enough established (at least through 2019 or even beyond.) And then: a big re-entry's possible back into the more-mass segments, since the binding constraint of dealer quality and aftersales assurance, in turn dependent on dealer financial sustainability+stability will have been removed?

There IS indeed a Fiat-branded b-suv based on the x6h new Punto near-ready and testing in Brazil, while Jeep gets its new-Punto-based twin in Asia-Pac (esp India+se asia+s africa, etc, not likely for China) surely to be made in India, absent any other fca manufacturing location for this 'Brazilian' platform-family in Asia.

Whether THAT model (say: the 'new Avventura', will be a 500X clone stylistically (my own fond desire) or say like either the Toro or the 124 Spider will become clear soon, since it will be revealed in Brazil in 2017. Personally i hope it is a 4m plus, say 4.25m model and not a sub-4m one, especially since those rules may be ditched under gst by 2018? Priced 10-14 lakhs, priced premium-to-mass-market. Abarth Punto as a supplement? Main focus on the localized Jeeps (c- and b-suv) and the (re)newed dealerships + third-party aftersales workshops (in places), through to 2019 or 2020?

I've just read their global investor presentation/update (released yesterday): it's ALL about Jeep and Alfa Romeo, especially in China. I very much doubt they will invest anything further in Fiat for India (beyond, at best: a placeholder for a long while, "for representational purposes", "until further notice.")

There is VERY LIKELY a new China jv beyond the GAC one for Jeeps: this time for the Chrysler brand, esp phev-s. They're dialling back on FIAT (Viaggio, Ottimo) totally in China, as well. All Jeep, then Alfa+Maserati, then by 2018 in China: Chrysler branded vehicles. FIAT's scarcely relevant anymore in Asia-Pacific for FCA, other than if anywhere (not India!): Japan, plus Korea, plus Hong Kong (small imported 500-family Eurochic city cars.) Certainly not in Australia.

Unless they export say rhd models to the UK (post-Brexit) , where are the volumes to justify anymore investments in all-new Fiats, made-in-India? This last is a doubtful, unviable option, imo. Besides, there too the growth brands for FCA will most llikely be Jeep, it already is, plus Alfa Romeo and the vans, the turkish Tipo, the japanese 124 Spider, etc. India-made Jeep c-suv and/or b-suv are possible indeed likely for uk (post-brexit, devalued-pound) export, but not Fiats, imo. Maybe several years hence, when the next-gen Panda is required there, cheap, since there's going to be a slow or deep slump in the uk economy and car market. Why would they invest in lhd exports out-of-India like VW does for the Vento to Mexico? There are capacities and scale-economies available for lhd models: in Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Serbia, Poland and Argentina, with entirely competitive currencies and costs, after all.
    asimpleson and Krunal Bhatt like this.
  9. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @asimpleson --As long as they run fine and can be serviced. If spares are available, even without a FASS is fine once warranty period expires. I know of a case where Skoda Rapid engine seized when just out of warranty and company asked for some 3+ lacs. A garage at walking distance from my home got it back on road for 1 lac. We get our Figo serviced by the same guy as it is out of warranty now.

I carry experience of owning an Opel Astra 1.6, which I finally sold as scrap by weight, so resale value is nowhere in consideration. Ability to race with the Fortuners on highway does count :)

Yes, it needs to be seen what avatar UC comes in -- whether the same as in Auto Expo or some scaling down wrt features -- and most importantly what price. Now that I have decided to wait till April 2017 (GST roll out), another factor that will play a role is at what discounts. Touchscreen infotainment and folding mirrors irrelevant. I am from the old school and find it easier handling knobs while keeping eyes on road.

@Krunal Bhatt -- Avventura Abarth Or Urban Cross are final contenders.

@prabhjot -- So is it a yes or a no? Finally :)
    asimpleson, Krunal Bhatt and Ravi_M like this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.