1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

RPM marginal increase when steering wheel turned to extreme right and left. Need Help

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by raajravi17, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hello Guys,

Need your help. My Punto MJD is one month old. I am facing a unique problem for the past one week. I found a increase in RPM when i turn the steering wheel to the extreme right and left position. I dont know what is the casue for this or is it similar in all the puntos. I did kissed a bus on the left front wheel arch and there was a bit of dent and scarthes but this doesnt relate to the problem i guess.

Also i need some suggestions !!! When i took the Delivery in cbe i found the left front door has some problem in the door lock and producing a small rattle noise (like screw vibration). I didnt bother becasue it is very small issue of lose connection of door open level which i thought of addressing in the first service. I have driven 2500 kms and have large scratches in the right side panels (Due to some naughty kid:firey) full of scratches, is it possible to claim insurance for painting two right side doors and dent in the left right wheel arch!!

Suggestions needed which service center is beeter in chennai to sort all these problems in my new baby. I should take car of her well coz i love to drive it.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Hi there,

First of all there is no problem with the steering i would say. Hydraulic power steerings do not like to be turned at their very extremes, and it's normal for them to emit a bit of a sound or vibration when they are turned to the very extreme.

So don't give it a thought.

Cheers.
  3. Noise aggrevated!!

Hello,

Thanks for your reply Gurji. But yesterday i felt the noise has aggrevated. I took my car after parking for 8 hrs, when i engaged the reverse gear and rotate the steering there was some hissing sound. Even in the 1st gear i found that sound, it got dissapeared after driving for a minute. I did check the wheel archs but tyre is not rubbing against anything. Need your inputs on this issue. Same happened today morning as well.
  4. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    There is definitely an "audible" hissing sound from the steering's Hydraulic motor when the Steering is turned to it's extremes. Now im not sure from your post whether you hear it when the steering is in it's normal position.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  5. Hello vj,
    When steering is in straight position, i am not hearing the sound. But when i turn it sound is audible, previously this sound was heard only at the extreme positions but from sterday i am hearing it when i turn it slightly as well.

Note: This happens when the car is parked for a long time and taken for ride. Sound exists for only 2 -3 min after that it gets disappeared.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    I think you are referring to the slight change in the noise of engine which happens when you move the steering from center position a little to left or right.
    If it's that it is normal

Does the noise comes only when the engine is cold and mostly in mornings then it's the belt noise.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  7. Hello Vijay,

The noise come only when it is cold. I think it is not engine noise. It is very auidible it like hissing/ rubbing noise from the steering.
  8. I have the issue at last. The noise was due to low steering fluid. But there is isomething fishly, i have clocked only 2700 Kms then how come the steering fludic can go to very low levels. I have to be cautiouls coz there could be some leakage. Now the steering is all good. Thanks for your comments guys :)
  9. jethari

jethari

Monitor the hydraulic fluid level closely. If it drops again, then surely there is a leak albeit a minor one. You'll have to get it checked immediately. The change in engine sound is because the hydraulic pump puts extra load at extreme steering positions (maximum flow requirements).

Hari
  10. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    I had this issue in my palio earlier. Check if it has a leak. You can mount the car and look at the the "T" joints.