1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Royal Enfield

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by rajeev_pillai, Oct 9, 2011.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    With the new Thunderbird 500, Royal Enfield has stuck to its tried and tested tough, muscular formula. But where they’ve done really well is in making upgrades to this cruiser that help it stay abreast the changes in the rapidly evolving Indian motorcycle market. However, at a time when there is more widespread access to competent international products, the manufacturer would have done well to make the upgrades more significant. Also, with the Rs. 1.66 lakh price tag (ex-showroom Mumbai), one would expect more bang for buck, concludes The Hindu. Read the full review here.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  3. Ravi Sir, I feel engine of new age bullets lot left to be desired being avid lover of bikes in the past , i loved the looks but engine seems to be a big turn off lot of noise from tapets and most of the bullets owned by my friends makes girding/meshing sounds, some how I can't digest this when comapred to KTM or Ninja 250 or even HH karizma.

Thumping sound is not as much as earlier bullets, RE service seems to be another let down.I wanted to buy a 350 CC classic but even after 10-12 visits to agro motors and driving many other bullets including 500 cc, I am not able convince myself.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Sat, if you want to buy a Enfield 350, go for the 2002 Electra with the CDI. I have one and rest assured it's the best one they ever made. Just find a clean bike.

I rode a 350 UCE once, and god help me, i will never ride one again. It just felt like a bloated Splendor.

There's no feel of the engine. The CI engine, when maintained well, is indestructible. I wanted to purchase a cylinder kit + crank for the future (I inted to keep riding this Enfield till i can) but the mechanic started laughing at me and said "Paaji, this engine will last you 2 lac km, why do you need a new cylinder kit?:evilsmile".

People keep cribbing that it's a monster to start, to service etc, but i don't agree. I started mine after 5 months yesterday and it started first kick. It has been 5+ years since i let a mechanic touch it's carburetor. I always service myself.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  5. What are maintenance involved, i heard it needs separate oil for gearbox and engine also some mechanic told he would mix grease with the oil to get grade up!!
    How much of Oil required in total.
  6. gurjinder

Punjab

Infact the clutch has it's own oil as well, which does not interact with the engine.:) So that makes it three.

The engine takes nearly 2.5L, the clutch 400-450ml and the gearbox is topped off with a mix of grease+oil.

I'm using 10w30 in the clutch and Motul 15w50 in the engine. The 10w30 helps in keeping the clutch light.
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    This is the second time i am seeing such a comment from you. Its good to appreciate something but its not at all good to look down upon something else while making comparisons, especially on a public forum like this. i know in northern parts of India, especially in punjab region, enfield means a standard or at the most an electra! but that, in no way means that other bikes from them are not worth it! to each his own but i would request you to please refrain from making such demeaning comments. both bikes have their own advantages, you may prefer something while others may prefer something else..
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    Well, being a public forum, all us members have the right to put forth our views mate. We cannot just silence our opinion just because it is contrary to someone else's.

Similarly, if anyone was to put forth the opinion that the CI is a terrible engine compared to the UCE , TFI WILL support that opinion equally as well. You can count on that.

Like Voltaire or EB Hall said - "I may not agree with what you say, but i will defend to death your right to say it". This is the spirit which guides TFI.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    looks like you want to start a debate here!
    voicing your opinion is one thing and trying to belittle something totally a different thing!

I do not have any such intentions as, unlike you i look at both the bikes from different perspectives. One is mean't for thumping in the city and other's (read thunderbird's and other UCE's) forte is cruising on highways!
    For me it depends on ones requirements. If my requirements are different than yours then obviously my preference would differ but that doesn't mean that i 'll start bad mouthing your possesion!
    I thought there was another spirit which also guided tfi which has been quoted many times: don't have the feeling that everything on the road other than WHAT WE OWN is a piece of junk!
    some effort needs to be there from our side to make sure these two spirits don't contradict each other!

even Voltaire was talking about defending others' rights and not his own..

:)
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    I can only belittle it if i voice my opinion! Criticism is an opinion itself. :p

Let's just agree to disagree. And rest assured i'm the last person you'll find bitten by the "anything i don't own is junk" bug.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.