1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Royal Enfield

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by rajeev_pillai, Oct 9, 2011.

1. anoop

anoop Superiore

Totally agree with you about the Splendor 350, Gurjinder Paaji.

A CI will last for years, if properly taken care for. But sad matter is, 99% mechanics out there, fleece the customers and very few know how to really work on a bullet. Thanks to the poser crowd, the bullet have become a money minting machine for the mechanics.
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    350 UCE's are quite reliable. They havent gone through decades of testing although like the older engines.
    gurjinder bhai i understand your liking for the oldies but thats a very harsh statement!! :):)
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yes, the 350 UCE's , being carburetted do not have the issues of the Fuel Injection UCE's. The hydraulic tappets, last heard was, still a sore point on some engines.

I know it's a very harsh statement, but without being biased , the UCE 350 lacks the punch. Nor does it have the thump. What posers do is remove the baffles and then the exhaust make the most irritating "pattt pattt pattt" sound rather than the traditional "duggg duggg duggg" :p The low down torque delivery of the CI is also missing in the UCE. The powerband has moved higher in the rev range. This might feel good for the guys who love to rev, but Bullets were never meant to rev high. Low rpm cruising is what they are all about. ( See what Yamaha did with their MT-01.)

The UCE might be modern etc etc, but RE did not make sure that the character remained the same.

Cheers.
  4. anoop

anoop Superiore

The enfiled have one of the best exhaust notes, and I hate when some people cuts baffle to make it really loud - the sound is horrendous to say the least.

The best way to supplement the already good sound of a CI (and to an extent, LB) is to add a properly made and tuned goldstar like silencer. A properly tuned one will sound mellow in low revs and will open up sweetly as the revvs build up.

The UCE have taken out the character of the CI - now it is just like any other big bore bikes. Gone are those days on unhurried cruising, lazy thumps and the bonding of man and machine.
  5. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thanks L0dest0ne, Anoop and Guru paaji,

My priorities are Riding comfort in city comfortable seating for both rider and pillion rider and powerful electricals.
    I heard from a Classic owner that the split seating also gives trouble and he may change it with Electra's seat.
    That's why i was considering the TBTS/ Electra. We have an Electra in Kerala, though I have not used it for long journeys, its a wonderful machine ::T.

Now I ride my Unicorn 100kms daily. :helmet.

--Rajeev
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Only the Classic 350/500 models come with a 60/55W bulb. Which when swapped with a Osram Night Breaker Plus bulb will give you more light than one can ever need. The rest (Standard, Electra, T'bird etc) come with 35W bulbs.

That said, the stock 35W bulbs, when adjusted for proper throw are VERY decent ones. Putting a 65W bulb on these electricals might overload them, unless you use some relay etc ( I'm not sure about how to use a 65W bulb on these models). Most probably they'll be using the 1947 era twist-fit bulbs rather than modern H4 bulbs with a P43t base.

Ride comfort is good on all bulls, if you choose to cruise. Gas shocks would help tremendously. I'm still on the factory fitted oil ones. Will upgrade when these call it a day. I'm using a RD350 handlebar (wide) and it works well if you're a bit tall. Helps you to sit comfortably.

Cheers.
  7. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    Like the khakhi color its amazing! enfireld.jpg
    Any idea whether it is available in 350 also?
  8. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Maxtor,
    The color is known as desert storm and is available only on Classic 500.

--Rajeev
  9. anoop

anoop Superiore

Bro, I do not feel any appreciable difference after changing to gas shocks - Did change it on two of my bullets, but there was not really any big change in ride comfort.

@rajeev_pillai: Any day, the seat of Electra is far far better for pillion than the seat of TB. If you have pillion comfort in mind, go the classic way.

As Gurjinder paaji said, an upgrade to Osram NB+ is all what you need, but believe me, the headlight of a standard bullet is much better than the headlight of our Unicorns.

It is available only on C500.

how about this green color, Maxtor? ;)

Neela.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  10. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    This too is a great color especially useful for the numerous police barricades in Delhi where they may just wave it through thinking it to be a military bike!