1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Royal Enfield

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by rajeev_pillai, Oct 9, 2011.

1. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Guys,
    Planning to upgrade my bike, Currently I ride a Honda Unicorn (2nd Gen).
    Its a wonderful machine, however I always dreamt of owning a Royal Enfield motor cycle.
    Confused between Thunderbird Twinspark & Classic (again 350/ 500 ?).
    Wifey's choice is TB as the Classic in the picture was not having a pillion rider seat :p
    Any suggestions?

--Rajeev
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi Rajeev,
    I also used to ride a unicorn till the RE bug bit me. Have a RE Thunderbird TBTS now. Have gone on numerous long drives on it here down south..
    Recently classic has got two new colors, desert storm and chrome. I am somehow controlling myself...:) One of the reasons which helps (for not changing my bike ) is classic looks low from behind (18 inch wheels at the rear). The pillion seat can be added though.

If you are okay with the low rear look then classic is a good option.
    Thunderbird is more comfortable for long rides..
    Classic is better option for showing off in the city :) and if u like the old bullet look..
  3. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Shams,
    Thanks for the honest opinion. :clap
    Yes the desert storm color is too tempting, and it is available for CL 500 only (and the waiting period is killing :A).
    My ride pattern is 60% highway and 40% city (that too Mumbai). How good is TBTS for city rides?

--Rajeev
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi Rajeev, the ride of TBTS is very comfortable be it city or highway owing to its handle and upright sitting posture

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

If you want the real pleasure of bullet (and are ready to live with the niggles) then I would suggest go for an old used bullet.. maybe max 10 yrs old kind of..
    If you want a hassle free ownership then choose from the current line up of twinspark engines
    1 person likes this.
  5. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thanks shams,
    One more query, how good are stock head lamps(35/35W) for night highway rides? the similar rating bulb in Uni is horrible.

--Rajeev
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Stock headlamps are not at all sufficient for night riding!! i haven't changed them though.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Go for the Classic 350. The fuel injection system on the 500 is not exactly fault free. The 350 would be with a carburettor, so no hassles. Carbs are much easier to diagnose.

As for whether you should buy a new UCE Engine 350 or an old Cast Iron one, i would say if you can find a good, less used Bullet Electra CDI (2001 or 2002) Model. That was one of the best bikes RE ever built to date. Total hassle free ownership experience.

Disclaimer : I own a 2002 Electra CDI, and i'm very biased towards it. Because it really is a bloody nice machine.
    Here's a pic ;)

rsz_dscn0033.jpg
    3 people like this.
  8. L0dest0ne

L0dest0ne Novizio

New Delhi
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I'll agree with shams on this. For the real Bullet experience, you should go for a used Bullet. And like Gurjinder said, try and get your hands on an Electra / Standard 350 built in 2001/2002. Only make sure to take along an experienced mechanic or bullet user to check the bike out before you choose. And strictly, do not go by how new and shiny the bike looks alone!

Enjoy the Bullet experience!

"Four wheels to move yourself; Two wheels to move your soul"
  9. anoop

anoop Superiore

TBTS or Classic - it really boils down to what you like. Both bikes are good for city and highway rides, and classic does have a pillion seat also. Pillion seat on TB is a joke - ask any one who have sat for long rides. I think the classic pillion seats will be more comfortable.

What are your priorities? If you want an Enfiled which have looks, and have an engine which gives good power and fewer niggles, go for UCE engines, But - and this is a pretty BIG but - you will NEVER get the feeling of original CI engines from a UCE. Go for a CI only if you are inclined to 'enjoy' all the niggles which comes along for free. After all, all these really adds up to the 'Enfield Experience'.

I have had couple of bullets in past and right now, I have a 2005 model Unicorn and a 1968 model CI 350. Before this, I have had couple of other CI 350s, electras etc and have extensively used TB 350 LB also.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Anoop, the UCE's are far from a niggle free experience.

The older Cast Iron mills , when well maintained are as reliable as a truck engine. The UCE is yet to prove itself.

Plus, driving a UCE 350 feels like driving a Splendor 350. ;)

Cheers
    1 person likes this.