1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Round trip of 4600 kms

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by shams, Dec 13, 2011.

1. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

Bhusawal
    ur writing flair is exceptional shams!! feels like i am ur co passanger while reading it...cant wait for more posts frm u!! cheers!!:up
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Isn't this a part of GQ?
    How was the road from Jamshedpur to Baharagora ?
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    jsr to baharagora was not very smooth but still manageable. after baharagora till some distance until we enter orissa, roads were too bad. in some places i had to come out of the car and inspect the pothole in front and see how it can be passed with minimum scraping.

in this route, i got on the GQ from balasore (kolkata-chennai part of GQ) bahagora-balasore is not part of GQ.
    1 person likes this.
  4. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

Bhusawal
    waiting for the remaining part of travelogue!!:)
  5. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Nice write up.. normally i dont spent much time reading.. i skip lines..
    u have good writing skills... i din't even skip a line..

nice......... eagerly waiting for the rest..
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for the kind words guys! would be completing rest of the travelogue very soon.. :)
  7. saurav

saurav Amatore

Hi Shams,

Wonderful to read your log.

I come from a place called as Bhagalpur & work here in Bangalore. Last year, 30th Sept to be precise I took the same route to reach Patna. B'lore - Hyd - Nagpur - Jabalpur - Maihar - Rewa - Allahabad - Patna

The road condition after crossing Katni till we reached Maihar, a distance of around 100 - 120kms was like straight out of hell. To top it up, we had crossed Jabalpur only after 4.30pm so our entire drive on this stretch was in night. Trucks just used to pass by & not a single soul in sight, it was indeed scary. We finally managed to reach Rewa at around 1.30am, covering those treacherous 227kms in 9hrs. The worst of my timings in 35k kms of my Punto.

After reaching Bhagalpur, I got the car checked at the TASS centre there. But, ooohva!!!!!!!! No damage done to the car. Suspension - Absolutely fine, alignment - very minor tinkering, scrapes - just one (though the car bottomed at multiple occasions on the Katni - Maihar stretch).

While returning, I had to drive back to Patna to pick up a friend and then took the Patna - Gaya - Dhanbad (by NH2) - Asansol - Durgapur - Brdhaman - Dankuni - Howrah Bypass (NH6) - Uluberia - Kharagpur Bypass - Rupnarayanpur (take left to NH60) - Jaleswar - Baleshwar (NH5) - Cuttack - Vizag - Vijaywada - Nellore - Nayudupeta (take right to leave NH5 & join SH61) - Srikalahasti - Renigunta - Tirupati - Chittor - Mulbagal - Kolar (Old Madras Road) - Bangalore

The return journey was a cakewalk for Punto. Now to give you just a hint of what the Punto is capable of. We started from a motel at Howrah Bypass at 9.30am, crossed Vizag at 10pm and stopped just before Vijayawada at around 2.30am at a BP Apna Ghar dhaba. Next day we started at around 8 from Vijaywada & was at my flat in Whitefield, B'lore at 6pm. That was like phewwwwww, faster than Howrah - Yeshvantpur Duranto Exp.

Regards
    Saurav

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Thanks Ravi Sir. You are an inspiration.

This October, I plan to do portions of North East in a week's time & then reach Bhagalpur (my native) for Durga Puja and then drive back to B'lore taking the same route. Would be taking pointers from your NE trip thread on BCMT.

Regards
    Saurav
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012
    3 people like this.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks Saurav, great to know that you also did a similar trip! Would love to read your travelogue in little more detail :)
    :) glad to know that you discovered what the punto is capable of.

During my return journey my punto was driven almost non-stop from ranchi to chennai barring couple of 2 hr breaks other than the usual lunch, dinner and tea breaks.

The distance till chennai was around 1760 kms, had started around 8 AM from ranchi and reached chennai by 8 PM next day.

During the first 12 hours, could cover roughly 300 kms due to some treacherous sections of the road in jharkhand. In this journey my brother drove around 400 kms during night time, rest I drove.

All this with a noisy right front elastic pad and a misaligned/cracked front bumper due to a dog hit enroute!!
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Shams, Ranchi to chennai with only 2 hours break is great. Why not complete your return part of travelogue? :)
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    shams, since you are not completing the return trip, let me ask one more question, which route you took to reach Ranchi? Was it via Hazaribagh? How was the road conditions between Ranchi and Jamshedpur?
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012