1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Round trip of 4600 kms

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by shams, Dec 13, 2011.

1. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Just came back from a round trip in my punto.

Start date: 3rd Dec
    End date : 13th Dec

Distance covered
    : 4600+ kms

Route:
    Bangalore-> Hyderabad -> Nagpur-> Jabalpur -> Varanasi -> Siwan -> Patna -> Ranchi -> Jamshedpur -> Balasore -> Bhubaneshwar -> Vizag -> Vijaywada -> Chennai -> Bangalore

Occupants:
    Bangalore to Siwan: myself
    Siwan to Ranchi: myself + 3
    Ranchi to Bangalore: myself + 1

Detailed travelogue coming up...
    10 people like this.
  2. Wow that's one looong drive. Looking forward to the detailed travelogue.
  3. Hey shams .. that was indeed a very long trip .. Eagarly waiting for the travelogue and the pics... Hope you enjoyed the travel ..

Ajit
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Wow, looking eagerly for all details, stays, planning etc.
    I have a dream to do same route sometime next year.
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    First of all my apologies for not updating this thread for a long time!!

So here it goes…
    My parents reside in Ranchi and they go to my ancestral native, a small village in Siwan, Bihar, every year for a festival. I also accompany them whenever I am able to make it. This year I had not made any prior plans for it and was going to skip it in all probability.

Parents reached there on 30th Nov ember. Spoke to them over phone, after which I started feeling what am I doing here in Bangalore. Felt an urge of being there.

Checked with my team in office if I could take the next week off. To help me out I had kept the leave tracker excel sheet updated with a weeks leave for a scenario like this. Started searching for bangalore-patna or bangalore-kolkata flight tickets.
    Because the departure date was so near all the flights were quite costly.

Then THE idea struck me. I thought Is it do able in punto? At the back of my mind I remembered J Ravi sir’s Leh trip. That gave me the confidence that its certainly do-able. I started browsing net for any information related to the route I had to take. Gathered as much as I could, though for the route/ road conditions beyond varanasi there was no information available anywhere.

By Thursday evening I made up my mind to take my punto to Siwan, Bihar .

Made a quick plan: to leave from office in whitefield, Bangalore on Friday evening around 5 pm for Hyderabad. Reach there around 1 am. Spend the night in some hotel and start early around 5:30 am for Nagpur.

Started the preparations Friday morning, packed all the necessary stuff and as a result of which reached office at 11:30 AM. Not to mention that I was browsing through the internet collecting whatever last minute information I could, for most of the time that I was in office :). Till 4 PM, to be precise.
    As part of the preparations I had also pm’d J Ravi sir to seek some advise/ suggestions on the trip in the morning before leaving for office. He didn’t take much time to write a detailed reply which helped me a lot.

There were couple of things which were left to do before leaving bangalore. First one was a general checkup for the punto in KHT motors SC and second was collecting the airtel datacard which I had asked a friend to lend to me.

The checkup took some time as the high pitch horn wasn’t working and it was not in stock too. Everything else was fine with the car. Left the SC at 6 pm. Went to friend’s house to collect the datacard.

By now I had made a small change in the plan. The starting time would now be 5:00 AM next day.
    Slept early at 10 pm so as to wake up fresh in the morning. But it was Friday night and no one in my friend circle sleeps so early. Got a call from a friend in UK at 1 AM. He asked if I was sleeping, I said no and continued talking. Spoke for an hour . Went back to sleep at 2. It was 2:30.. then 2:45.. no signs of sleep!!

Thought its better to start the journey and sleep onroute whenever I feel sleepy.
    Got up, washed face, picked up the bags which were already packed and left in another 10 minutes. Was on the road at 3:00 AM.
    ......The journey had begun!!

---------- Post added at 03:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

The planned route: Bangalore to Siwan, Bihar
    <iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Bengaluru,+Karnataka,+India&amp;daddr=17.41643,78.28195+to:17.52996,78.26091+to:24.92864,82.22933+to:25.13368,82.56866+to:25.10069,82.8756+to:25.52744,83.1496+to:25.57003,83.94445+to:25.92909,84.17455+to:26.27946,84.46612+to:Siwan,+Bihar&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FU_uxQAdw_-fBCltTrTJcBauOzHgT35R6MPf-A%3BFe7ACQEd3nyqBClFcYO7VevLOzEBnK8KeQhReQ%3BFWh8CwEdriqqBCktmxylkvLLOzGvYMkWWKpsbg%3BFYBhfAEdUrjmBCnFwucAMIiPOTHeXtzJtBBj5Q%3BFXCCfwEd1OXrBCmBDqeMJcCPOTF3WWpX3pNoDA%3BFZIBfwEd0JTwBCkVDT-QerWPOTGJ_vMNJuLjQQ%3BFZCEhQEdIMP0BCm3Sgh3v9iROTFnsCL6evjXeg%3BFe4qhgEdAuQABSn1i2l0OnWSOTGyHc7Hl8kHUw%3BFYKliwEd1mYEBSmRsMxv912SOTF2vekHSKoRzQ%3BFST-kAEdyNkIBSkxO5el7uKSOTHEQ-DEdGXtVw%3BFYYVkAEdTDMHBSmDieNmAfySOTEfIdW3HGw8Yg&amp;aq=0&amp;sll=17.743455,79.694824&amp;sspn=2.202458,5.625&amp;vpsrc=0&amp;mra=dpe&amp;mrsp=1&amp;sz=8&amp;via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=17.748687,79.694824&amp;spn=5.020994,7.03125&amp;z=7&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Bengaluru,+Karnataka,+India&amp;daddr=17.41643,78.28195+to:17.52996,78.26091+to:24.92864,82.22933+to:25.13368,82.56866+to:25.10069,82.8756+to:25.52744,83.1496+to:25.57003,83.94445+to:25.92909,84.17455+to:26.27946,84.46612+to:Siwan,+Bihar&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FU_uxQAdw_-fBCltTrTJcBauOzHgT35R6MPf-A%3BFe7ACQEd3nyqBClFcYO7VevLOzEBnK8KeQhReQ%3BFWh8CwEdriqqBCktmxylkvLLOzGvYMkWWKpsbg%3BFYBhfAEdUrjmBCnFwucAMIiPOTHeXtzJtBBj5Q%3BFXCCfwEd1OXrBCmBDqeMJcCPOTF3WWpX3pNoDA%3BFZIBfwEd0JTwBCkVDT-QerWPOTGJ_vMNJuLjQQ%3BFZCEhQEdIMP0BCm3Sgh3v9iROTFnsCL6evjXeg%3BFe4qhgEdAuQABSn1i2l0OnWSOTGyHc7Hl8kHUw%3BFYKliwEd1mYEBSmRsMxv912SOTF2vekHSKoRzQ%3BFST-kAEdyNkIBSkxO5el7uKSOTHEQ-DEdGXtVw%3BFYYVkAEdTDMHBSmDieNmAfySOTEfIdW3HGw8Yg&amp;aq=0&amp;sll=17.743455,79.694824&amp;sspn=2.202458,5.625&amp;vpsrc=0&amp;mra=dpe&amp;mrsp=1&amp;sz=8&amp;via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=17.748687,79.694824&amp;spn=5.020994,7.03125&amp;z=7" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
    8 people like this.
  6. Great start Shams .. And ironically your first post is @ 3.33 AM on another day ..

Ajit
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, shams, for re-starting your travelogue. It is always better late than never!;) Your travelogue would be useful for others who intend to explore that region.
  8. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

Bring it on...and you are quite right J Ravi's travel is an inspirational trip for all of us here. Once again ...hats off to you J Ravi Sir.

Shams, can't wait to read and see more pictures of your travelogue.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. Gr8 going Shams. Indeed J Ravi sirs travelogues across the length on India was inspiring for me to do a round trip to Bangalore... J Ravi sir you rock.
    1 person likes this.
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks Cuty Red, Ravi, J Ravi sir, Grandeur and arishi for your comments in the above posts

Continued from my previous post..

After driving for around 1 hr 15 minutes I started feeling sleepy. Found a big petrol bunk soon, parked my punto just outside the bunk, reclined my seat and slept. There were lot of trucks parked in the bunk.

Would have slept hardly for some 15-20 minutes when a group of people started talking loudly near enough to my car to disrupt my sleep. Tried to sleep for another 5 mins but in vain. The disturbance was too much.

Started the car and left from there. It was somewhere around 4:45 AM. Drove for another half an hour before sleep started to trouble again. Again I started looking for some place to stop. Found some trucks parked just after a toll plaza. This looked like a good place to take a nap. Parked the punto behind the trucks making sure that both the lights from the toll plaza and the oncoming vehicles are not able to disturb me. Time was around 5:30 AM.

This time I slept peacefully till 7:30. Got up, came out of the car,found a place and made myself lighter by few mls. Was feeling little hungry now, but I didn’t not want to waste time in stopping for breakfast as I had started at 3:00 and had hardly covered some 100 kms by this time.

Forgot to mention before that I had kept my backpack on the front passenger seat and put the seatbelt around it. All the eatables, packaged juice, milk, water etc were inside it. Rest of the paraphernalia was in the boot. Took out a half litre packet of ready to drink milk (goodlife, bangaloreans would know) and drank it bottoms up.

Kept driving on the butter smooth NH7 mostly with triple digit speeds . Hit the Jawaharlal Nehru Outer Ring road to bypass Hyderabad city somewhere around 11:45 AM. This road was a treat to drive on. Was able to maintain speeds exceeding 150 for extended minutes. I missed to exit it at the right point after which some part of the ORR was incomplete due to which I had to go some extra distance in the opposite direction. Then finally had to enter some part of Hyderabad city in its north before getting back to NH7 again. Made a quick stopover to withdraw some cash from an ATM and continued further.

It was around 2 PM by the time I got back to NH7. Didn’t feel good about having spent so much time to cross hyderabad city.

Was feeling hungry by now. Wanted to have to good meal this time. Found one Bharat Petroleum Ghar Dhaba restaurant after around half an hour of driving. Stopped there for around 30 minutes, had a nice meal consisting of roti, dal, egg bhurji, salad and couple of glasses of lime juice. Food was quite good. Left from there with a happy stomach.

Had topped up diesel also in the same BP bunk before having lunch, tank was half empty then. Wanted to get tyre pressures also checked but their machine wasn’t working.
    Amongst all the other preparations before starting the journey I had forgotten to get the tyre air pressures checked. Had asked in couple of bunks before this one but got the same answer.

Felt really bad that I came so far without having the tyres checked. Finally found a bunk outside which there was a local garage to repair punctures. Time was around 4 pm.

Opened the boot and got down to get the spare tyre inflated. took out the bag which was kept there.
    The spare tyre hardly had any air in it.
    Guys reading this please make sure you always check the air pressure in the spare tyre before hitting the highway. Left from there after handing over a ten rupee note to the guy.

After driving for some 10 minutes I remembered the bag that I had taken out from the boot. Pulled over the car to side and stopped. Checked the boot. Bag was not there. Had forgotten to keep it back!!
    Took a u-turn from there itself as that part of NH7 was under construction on one side of the divider.
    Reached the garage and found the bag in the same place where I had left it. Took a sigh of relief, kept it back and continued.

Wasn’t spending much time in taking pictures as I wanted to reach my destination as soon as possible. Some snaps of the picturesque NH7 between Hyderabad and Nagpur below:

2011-12-03 15.30.04.jpg

2011-12-03 15.43.53.jpg

2011-12-03 15.49.52.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
    14 people like this.