1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rough idling issue during cold starts after EGR valve replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Dear All,

As some of you might know, my car 'had' a sudden powerloss issue that lasted from January 2013 to May 2014. The issue had made me confine my drives to a 50km radius max. However, that problem has now mysteriously resolved on its own (not sure if it is just dormant only to show up later). In the month of September 2013, the erstwhile TATA-Fiat ASS had replaced the EGR valve in an attempt to solve that powerloss issue. While it couldn't solve that issue, the EGR replacement only gave my car a rough-idling problem during cold starts, with heavy RPM and engine noise fluctuations. As mentioned, it happens only during cold starts and not later. Has anyone in the forum come across similar issues? If yes, what did you do to resolve that? Also how can EGR replacement bring about rough idling issues?

Suggestions solicited.

P.S- There is now no Fiat dealer/service center in Assam anymore. I am going to take my car to a local mechanic and instruct him to do whatever is advised in this thread.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How much your is driven, hope no 'Timing Chain' issue.
  3. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    My car has only been driven for 14.5k kms.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
  5. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Anyone?? :)
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Rituraj, since there is no FASS in Assam let us take more efforts to solve your problem here. Also if possible i would ask you to request the TASS to look into your car once as a goodwill. Quadrajet and MJD engines are same.

Rough Idling - what do you mean by rough? does the engine shake? is there abnormal Kad Kad KAd sound from the engine? Do you fill BS3 or BS4 fuel in Assam?
    Whats the rpm fluctuation range?
    1 person likes this.
  7. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Ok, here's a video of my problem. Please turn up the volume while playing.

I don't think the TASS will be able to diagnose the issue, as they are themselves the culprit. They had tried numerous times to solve it but just couldn't. The issue wasn't there even 5 minutes prior to the EGR replacement. Not sure about the fuel quality/grade though - need to find out.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Rituraj,

Sorry to hear about this. Did this issue occur as soon as the EGR was replaced or did it start sometime later. Also, does the car behave similarly once the engine has warmed up?

Cheers.
  9. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Yes, this issue occurred as soon as the EGR was replaced and yes, the car behaves normally once the engine has warmed up.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Did you take it back to TASS and what was the diagnosis by them?

It seems to be something electronic in nature only and the flashing clock is an indicator of that. I would urge you to take it back so they can look at the install again and correct any mistake which might have happened. It seems to be some small oversight.

As Italia said, take it to the local TASS.