1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Road trip to MP

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by vinit, Mar 17, 2016.

1. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Dear All,

Would like to do a road trip from Mumbai to visit the "India ka dil" Madhya Pradesh in my Linea alongwith family. The following destinations are in mind: Mandu, Maheshwar, Omkareshwar, Indore, Bhopal, Sanchi, Pachmarhi, Jabalpur, Bhedaghat, Bandhavgarh, Pench, Khajuraho and Orchha.

Have two weeks in hand for this trip. How is the road condition in MP to visit all these places ? Suggestions on itinearary, any other places and hotels are most welcome.

Thanks.
  2. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I recently wanted to go to Ratlam on my motorbike but couldn't! Anyway when I had enquired the roads are generally ok. but it's better to stick with NHs & venture out only when destination requires to. Also late night driving in remote areas is fine since MP is generally a safe place but I was still advised to avoid as much as possible.
  3. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @vinit, you are welcome to MP. I shall do the best I can to guide you, but I too haven't explored major part of MP.

1. Mumbai - Indore is smooth NH3 4-lane - It would take 10 hrs to reach, since you won't face traffic at Mumbai while leaving early.
    2. Indore - Bhopal is also very good 4-lane highway (3.5 hours) with 2-3 major bypasses. If you want to go straight to Bhopal, there is one Indore Bypass too.
    3. For Mandu, Maheshwar, Omkareshwar - You can easily do these in three days with Indore as your base. Maheshwar and Omkareshwar can be reached by Indore-Khandwa road which is a very good 2-lane road (but with many villages with speed-breakers). Mandu can be reached via NH3 as well as NH59 (Indore-Ahmedabad highway), but NH3 route is probably better and shorter. You can directly go to Mandu while coming from Mumbai - take a left after crossing Narmada (Khalghat & Dhamnod) and you can stay there. However, now till monsoon, Mandu will have harsh weather - hot and dry - and there is walking involved. It is a large fort with many buildings.
    4.Sanchi is close to Bhopal and well connected by good road, but you may face some traffic due to the industrial best there. You must not miss Bheem-Bethaka nearby, which is known for the stone-age excavations. Both may be done in one day from Bhopal.
    5.I haven't travelled the Bhopal-Jabalpur route, but I understand it is good, but not like Indore-Bhopal route. I had planned to do this during March 24-27, but had to drop that.
    6.All reserved forests (Bandhavgarh, Kanha etc) need advance booking for the safaris. I didn't do that for Kanha, hence cancelled the trip there this March end.
    7.Bhedaghat is close to Jabalpur - Better if you can visit on a full-moon day. I hope to do that someday!
    8.Khajuraho route may not be so good, but I haven't been there. Orchha can probably be clubbed with it (same zone).
    9.Panchmarhi - again, summer is not the best season due to heat and lack of greenery.
    10. I don't know anything about Pench.

In general, roads in MP are better than before, but you need to decide the route carefully. There may be 2-3 routes for a place and you need to choose the best. I shall be anyway doing some research, and shall share, if I conclude anything.

When are you planning the trip?

All the best.

Ravi_M
    raj29 likes this.
  4. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Ravi for detailed reply..

I am planning to do this trip in April.

My other concern is the quality of roads in MP. Not heard about them much. Another factor, is there any issue of Naxalites in Jabalpur region?
  5. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    I did comment on the roads in my post! NH3 is very good till Indore and in the part beyond Gwalior (till Agra). From Indore till Gwalior it is bad to worse. Therefore, one need to confirm about road conditions from Bhopal to Khajuraho, Orchcha and Jabalpur. I am aware that even in those parts good roads have come-up, but you need to find out which is the best route.

AFAIK, the Jabalpur region is not affected by Naxalite movement, it is from Chhatisgarh onwards. Anyway, you must travel on major roads only in the eastern part IMO.
  6. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Ravi..

Can my itinerary be comfortablly covered in two weeks ? Or will it be hectic?

Also how good are the hotels of MP tourism? Any idea ?
  7. Rajnish K Jain

Rajnish K Jain Timido

Bhopal
    Bhopal
    Linea T-Jet
    @ Vinit, Bhopal to Orchha (via Sanchi, Vidisha, Bina, Malthone, Lalitpur, Jhansi) is very good, 2-4 lane in very excellent condition esp between Bina to Jhansi you will enjoy. Visit Udaigiri caves near Visisha. Visit ancient Samasgarh jain temples near lalitpur if you like, they are in forest on a hill on the bank of betwa river. Bhopal to Orcha you can reach in 5-6 hrs. last year, I went to Orchha, Gwalior, Agra, Delhi in my linea T jet and enjoyed a lot. Orchha to Khajuraho road should also be good. I have put my experience and few photos in thread "linea facelift test drive and review". Suggest to stay in MP tourism hotels and resorts whereever available through their web site. They are well maintained and serve nice food, mostly at reasonable cost. Bhopal to Pachmarhi go via Jabalpur road (do not take Hoshangabad-Itarsi Road) which turns at Bareli- bada bareli & reach Pipariya & Pachmarhi. most of the roads in MP for tourist places are excellent to good.
    I am also planning a trip to Ahmedabad in holi vacations in my T jet, and will put the experience after completion.
    vinit and raj29 like this.
  8. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @Rajnish K Jain, I remember your travelogue of last year. It tells about MP roads that are not covered in the forums, probably because those have BAD NAME (badnaam) and are avoided by many (including me) . I am considering a trip to Orchcha and Khajuraho soon and will go through your travelogue once again. Actually MP is rather unexplored and I intend to do that.

@vinit, in my view, 2 weeks may be good for your trip because travel distances and durations are moderate for places near Indore and Bhopal including Khajuraho and Orchcha. But for Jabalpur and Panchmarhi, you need to plan properly. Maybe Rajnish can comment better on that. You itenirary may be as below (based on my estimate of travel time and assuming that accommodation will be available):

Day 1 - Start early from Mumbai and go straight to Mandu and stay there for the night.
    Day 2 - Visit Mandu and start for Maheshwar by 1400 hrs (to reach before sunset) and stay at Maheshwar (MPTDC).
    Day 3 - Go to Omkareshwar and after darshan etc. start for Indore (after lunch). You can reach Indore before evening, check-in in a hotel (many good ones here) and then take cab and do short city tour (not much to see actually). You must visit SARAFA at night, if you are FOODY! Indore is best for KHAWAIIYAs. The SARAFA is on the backside of RAJWADA. It is actually a jewelry market (one lane of jewelry shops) that closes down after 2100 hrs, just to reopened by makeshift eating joints on the front parts of these shops. Stay at the hotel for the night.
    Day 4 - Start for Bhopal in morning to reach in 3.5 hrs and visit the city's major attractions ( doable in a day) followed by night stay in a hotel (many moderate ones in MP Nagar area and better ones elsewhere).
    Day 5 - You can visit Sanchi and then proceed for Orchcha and Khajuraho with night stay at one of the later two places.
    Day 6 - Day 12 -- Cover Jabalpur, Bhedaghat, Bandhavgarh, Panchmarhi etc. I can't guide about these places.

Thus, it is doable, provided you are fit-en-fine all through, since during the summer, stomach upset may disturb the schedule.
    Confirm the above from atleast two other sources, just to correct any mistakes.

All the best. I may also be in a position to extend local help, if I know your schedule and I am present in the city then.
  9. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    @Ravi_M : Thank you very much. Half the route planning you have done for me :)

@Rajnish K Jain : Thank you for your valuable inputs

Will the MP roads allow me to maintain the average speed of 80 KMPH throughout (on highways) ? Are there any express ways in MP ?This is an important question as the schedule will heavily depend on that.
  10. Rajnish K Jain

Rajnish K Jain Timido

Bhopal
    Bhopal
    Linea T-Jet
    @vinit: As per my experience, Indore- Bhopal is expressway (200 KM), can be easily covered in 3 hrs. Malthone-Jhansi is super 4 lane expressway, can also be covered in 3 hrs. On other roads, you can maintain a average speed of 50-60 kmph. One correction, near Lalitpur it is Devgarh (not Samasgarh), but, imp for Jains. MP is very safe, no naxal problem here. You will have to drive carefully, because bikers, tractors etc generally don't properly follow traffic rules even in cities.