1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Road Trip Help Needed: Chennai Gwalior Agra Jaipur Jodhpur Udaipur

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by vanandwiz, Jul 27, 2014.

1. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    Hi folks,
    Need your help and suggestion.
    I am planning a road trip. The plan is Chennai – Gwalior – Agra – Jaipur – Jodhpur – Udaipur – Chennai.
    Starting on 27-Sep-2014 and returning to Chennai on 05-Oct-2014; 9 days.

• The current plan is start early on 27[SUP]th[/SUP]… get an overnight stay somewhere between Hyderabad and Nagpur.
    • Second day: start early and hit Gwalior for stay.
    • Third day: Gwalior sight seeing
    • Fourth day: Not sure if Gwalior needs two days. Otherwise go to Agra for sightseeing and stay.
    • Fifth day: Not sure if Agra needs two days. Otherwise go to Jaipur.
    • Sixth day: Go to Jodhpur.
    • Seventh day: go to Udaipur
    • Eight day and ninth day for return journey: get overnight accommodation somewhere after Pune.

I will be the only driver. The trip is with my family and In-laws. I have done 70000+ Kms on NH. I have done plenty of south India road trips including Hyderabad, Goa, Kanyakumari. Few times I have driven continuously for 12+ hours; once I started from Badami at 5:00 PM and reached Chennai by 5:00 AM (with few stopovers in between).
    But this is going to more outrageous!!

Need suggestion on….

1. Good places for overnight stays.
    2. Good places for Veg food.
    3. Bad roads and any alternate route.
    4. Good tourist places enroute.
    Again folks from North will know the places to avoid and places to visit for your city. So any city specific suggestion should be great.
    In parallel, I am going through different travel threads. Nonetheless please provide your suggestion because each of them is going to be valuable.

Thanks.

Route Plan.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    1. AP-MH border after Adilabad and some stretches before Nagpur.

2. Ghat section after Nagpur.

3. Sagar-Gwalior stretch, where 4-laning works are in progress.

4. Udaipur bypass [2-laned + traffic jam].

5. Pune-Satara stretch, where 4-laning works are in progress.

I did this route in my Linea in September 2011 during my Leh trip. See here for details.

I have plans to visit Ladakh again in this September in my XUV 500. I will be going on the same route for the up journey. I shall give a detailed update here on 8 September 2014 for the N-S corridor and on 26 September 2014 for the entire route. :)
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Old habits die hard. :) Correcting the errors.

1. Telangana-Maharashtra [TS-MH] border

5. Pune-Satara stretch, where 6-laning works are in progress.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Old is Gold.

The work is still going on may be for another 3 years will not be completed,but the toll rates are hiked.Hate this Strectch.
    2 people like this.
  5. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    I believe Gwalior & Agra each need one day for sight seeing. whereas Jaipur definately needs 2 days & don't forget to watch sount & light show at Amer fort in Jaipur.
    1 person likes this.
  6. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    Ravi Sir, Thanks for the comments…. Will be eagerly awaiting the update on your forthcoming Ladakh trip.

Also thanks for the link… Earlier, I have read your ‘My Fabulous Fiat Linea’. Truly astonishing; then I had liked and commented on your updates. It was inspiring, fun and interesting to read. But now I see difficult side of such trips and the risk it takes. It needs lot of courage and ‘drive to drive’.

Since 2011, I assume quite a few things would have changed. But seeing some of the photos, wondering how much would have changed.
    Sir, so your forthcoming trip will be the trail blazer for my trip.

Also Thanks for your comments Ganges and Rachit.
    1 person likes this.
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for the compliments, vanandwiz. I have been researching the route for my forthcoming Ladakh trip from the last year with different permutations and combinations. I always tried different routes for the up journey and homeward trips so as to break the monotony. I understand that Chennai-Hyderabad via Addanki/Nalgonda is fully 4-laned now, but passes through towns and villages. Similarly, the N-S corridor upto Sagar is 4-laned barring a few stretches. Gwalior-Agra is also a 4-lane NH now. Agra-Jaipur section is 2-laned in UP side and 4-laned toll road after entering Rajasthan.
    1 person likes this.
  8. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Vanandwiz, since you are going through different threads, I hope you would have by now stumbled upon HVK forum on facebook. If not please take a look, you will get lots of information. Also, you can contact Central Hotel Desk of HVK group for availability of hotels enroute but for that you need to join that group.
    2 people like this.
  9. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    Then that takes care of most of journey. Sagar to Gwalior is the only route to check for updates.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yes Satish. He is called the human gps!
    I did not know the hotel desk part. Thanks.
    3 people like this.
  10. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    The route from Agra to Jaipur - initial 10 to 15 kms may be a nightmare. I had been to Bharatpur last year around mid-August. During this time, there was almost no approach road to the Agra-Jaipur highway. Once this initial 10-15 kms is covered, then it is a dream road

Places to visit in Agra -
    1. Taj Mahal
    2. Maybe Agra Fort (never been to Fort, so please confirm with some others if it is beneficial to visit)
    3. Fatehpur Sikri (not sure if its worth the visit) on Agra-Jaipur highway
    4. Bharatpur bird sanctuary on Agra-Jaipur highway - this is one great place and I would definitely recommend a visit. You would need around 6 hours for bird watching in here. There is a tourism hotel Ashok within the sanctuary run by Government (costly but provides an experience of staying within the forest). You can stay over here overnight and start early morning to Jaipur

From other listed places,
    -> Udaipur would need atleast 2 days (3 days ideal). Also some historic temples are there (do not remember the name) maybe around 50-100 kms from Udaipur. So do plan accordingly.
    -> Jaipur: Jal Mahal and Amer Fort both are good. Should be done within a day. But even if you skip Jaipur it should not matter much - forts in other parts of Rajasthan are better maintained that the Amer Fort
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.