1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Risk in car pooling

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by subhashmv, Oct 8, 2014.

1. subhashmv

subhashmv Timido

India
    I had few lonely drive to and from my home town... Many time thought to ask in FB / other forums if anyone would like to join the ride, but never asked anyone except my close friends, because of following reason.

1. Possible crime, especially when all others are strangers (I was alone in few drives)
    I feel it's OK if at least 2 of know each other very well, and other 2 are strangers..

2. I do not know what other folks carry with them.
    They may carry black money, liquors, smuggled goods, or weapons (very less chance)
    Many people buy liquor from KA and carry it to Kerala as it is cheaper (also Kerala is now in process of banning liquor), and also electronics bought from gray market.

If police caught, what happens to me (others as well) and my car?

I haven't heard any bad news about car pooling, but still, how safe is inter-state OR long distance travel with strangers?
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The chances of a bad company are always there. Always better to car-pool with pre-verified people with references from known circles etc.; job references and society references about person or family background can help.

If the car is yours then you can state the rules of luggage etc. Unless he/she is an spy operative for an enemy state... :hilarious:
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Unless the destination is same and credentials of those traveling with you are validated, travelling with any other person is always a threat. It can also be the case that the wavelenghts of those travelling with you never match and you may end up getting frustrated rather than enjoying their company. They may come across as nuisance. The very reason for you initiating the car pool i.e to save money or have company is defeated. In my opinion, doing car pool with strangers for long distance is a big no.
  4. subhashmv

subhashmv Timido

India
    Thank you asimpleson & ghodlur.

@ghodlur, very true.. co-passengers may become nuisance and destroy the purpose of car-pooling
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Do not carry liquor across state borders. A severe fine (in terms of bribe) will be put on you from the prohibition cops.
  6. subhashmv

subhashmv Timido

India
    Correct, but how do I know if my anyone else carry in their luggage?
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    No I wasn't challenging your words :) I saw it in front me and hence said so.